I just saw this. There are a a couple important things to say here for me.

I realize the rounds were available from a pistol. that wasn't the point I was making. I was just giving uninformed readers a little background and telling them the proposed rounds would be new here.

I interviewed Phil bloom via an email because that is what even a pseudo-journalist is supposed to do-let the opposing view explain themselves.

For anyone who reads my column, I can tell you I am writing a follow up to that piece right now. I have interviewed the head deer biologists from other Midwestern states that do not allow rifle rounds to understand why they do not. What they are telling me, I think, exposes the idiocy and lack of foresight by the people managing our deer herd for the past several years.

I won't get into all of it here but will give you guys this one fact to consider: Deer biologists in adjacent states, even without rifles here yet, consistently get the most complaints from farmers and hunters about low deer densities in all the counties that border Indiana. Perhaps it is obvious, but their point is that Indiana has beaten its deer herd to death to the point that it even can be felt across the border.

Joe got it right. It is about a lack of tradition here, or at least one that mostly only values killing a deer at all costs and as easily as possible.