The efforts which I'm speaking of pretty much addressed the state parks. I am unaware of any such discussion or involvement related to Eagle Creek. As you know, Clifty and Fort Ben state parks are only bow hunted, which is an interesting situation to be honest. There really is no documented reason that these two parks can't be or shouldn't be hunted with firearms. The situation of them being bow hunted only is/would be an interesting discussion. Now, Dunes Acres in northern Indiana was a community that Jeff had a great deal of involvement with, I believe, that the residents of the town have vastly differing opinions as to how to address the deer overpopulation issue. National Lake Shores is a whole different issue because the feds have control over it.

When Eagle Creek came up, I did contact the DNR indicating that the organization would provide shooters and run a reduction program at Eagle Creek, for free to the park and the City of Indianapolis. I was told that this was not a DNR issue, which it wasn't, and that any interaction would have to be directly with the City. I did reach out to the City but had no response.

Unfortunately, it should be a proactive thing and with the hunting community it becomes a reactive thing. Then, as experienced in the past efforts, the "hunters" themselves don't usually like certain aspects of the reduction and they often prefer to make it "hunt" instead of a "reduction". Frankly, then you have to assume or hope that those who participate in the reduction efforts will follow the rules. Sadly, depending on the general hunting public to do that is often a lost cause. What this state needs is an organization that formalizes a program that addresses 1) immediate impact 2) sustainability 3) the details of a reduction program and 4) the cost aspects. Then, each municipality should be approached with the program and offered the help before any issue is identified. Now, assuming folks believe firearms are safe in urban settings, the quickest and most effective ( I know this is will make some folks unhappy) is the bait, shoot and get out. But, this makes noise. If you want quiet, bow hunting can also be effective but probably not quite as quickly as firearms. Any program needs to be honest and layout the various scenarios for a reduction and then should let the municipality make its own decision. It is not unreasonable that the future Eagle Creek reductions could be performed by a local, Indiana based organization but I don't believe it is likely to ever be on open draw reduction.

There needs to be a new organization, no disrespect to the IDHA or IBA or the Roundtable that engages a whole new philosophy and approach to all the aspects of hunting, conservation and programs. These, very good, organizations have too much history and legacy to be the front for a new initiative in my opinion. A new organization can and should have many of the same individuals involved and leading but with a whole different mission and approach. All of course, in my own opinion.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"