Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
He isnt the only one that wouldnt mind seeing the gun seasons shortened .....get rid of the late gun antlerless/reduce the antlerless tags in many locations and move the regular gun out of the rut and make it 1 week or less.....I'd be a very happy person....
I'll agree with you about eliminating the second gun season.... It is pointless and unwarranted,
and I have never participated in it and probably never will either...

As far as moving the gun season... This is my absolute biggest gripe with the bow hunting community... Why should the gun season be moved for? Bow hunters get from Oct 1st. till the end of the year to kill a buck so why should gun hunters be forced to give up something... Do you think bow hunters should give up something...

Every big time bow hunter I've poised that question to told me that wouldn't be fair and it just tells me how self-centered and selfish many in the bow community are... I bow hunt every year and I have killed deer a with a gun and bow and I didn't feel any difference in the two and it sure as heck didn't make me fell more "manly" either...
If I'm going out to kill me something to eat then I sure as heck don't want to make it a bigger challenge then it already is...

Now I will say this... I have always advocated moving M/L season up and doing away with it's own season because I feel if they can be used in firearms season then they should be treated as such... To go from 32 gun days down to 16 makes alot of sense...

To address the county bonus quota... That is pretty irrelevant... How many hunters do you know that has killed 8 deer from LaPorte or Porter Counties.... My guess would be none... Even if they dropped it down to two it is still irrelevant because you still will have hunters killing multiple deer a year... In order to make a impact DNR would have to change it to 0 or an "A" county, otherwise you won't see deer numbers driving back up anytime soon...

Do you primarily hunt LaPorte County? If so, then try hunting somewhere else... You got Kankakee FWA in Starke County, Jasper-Pulaski and Winimac FWA's in Pulaski County, Manitou Wetlands/Judy Burton Nature Preserve in Fulton County (Can't use a bonus tag there and I've seen lots of deer there) so you've got lots of places to hunt up there...