Let's get a few facts straight.....

1. 1.0 and 2.0 both included the late antler less season.

2. The main difference in the deer harvest data from 2011 and 2012 (the first year of the late antlerless season) is the late antler less season totals (10,000). So it's not surprising total harvest numbers were up last year.....

Which leads us to our next fact(s).

3. THE ORIGINAL GOAL OF BOTH PROPOSALS WAS HERD REDUCTION. And as has been pointed out this isn't just an Indiana thing...This is a goal set by many states throughout the country.

4. If necessary, the DNR can reduce bonus antler less permits (as they did in 20 counties for the 2012/2013 season). Not only that, (and a point I had forgotten) is that the DNR can lower the bonus antler less quotas to 3 or less, thus effectively putting an end to the late antlerless season, without changing any regs. So there are tools in place to protect the herd from dropping too low.

Contact the DNR and others involved in the process and voice your concerns. That's what I've done and will continue to do and the DNR makes it easy. Over the last few years I've been very happy with the responses I've received when I contacted the powers that be.

And while some would have us believe otherwise, I hardly think any hunter in this state, nor the DNR wants to wipe out the deer herd. Deer hunting is the cash cow that drives the financial bus and provides all of us with enjoyment.

And while I think we are going to have to get used to seeing fewer deer, I think the quality of deer will continue to rise.

And ultimately, that's the goal.........