I don't think the IDNR is failing at all.

Quail, rabbits, pheasants and even grouse - habitat is the key and the IDNR can do little if anything about it. Simply can't be the IDNR's fault.

Other species - the IDNR I believe has done a very good job promoting and reintroducing other species that once roamed Indiana and in doing so I believe have done an excellent job in that sense. But again habitat is the key and many of the species you speak to continue to have reasonably good habitat or habitat corridors that enable them to prosper and spread.

When we speak of deer, the issues becomes a little cloudy in my opinion. The deer herd is biologically sound as far as I know. There are plenty of deer and they are widespread throughout Indiana. I believe if you asked the average Hoosier if they believe the deer herd is fine, you'd get a resounding "yes". Maybe not for all hunters, but in the picture and within the scope of that which the IDNR is expected to do, I believe they are doing a fine job although I might not personally agree with everything they do.

As for the money, that's a problem, kind of. The sad reality in my opinion is that hunters want to simply pay a small fee and then want the "world" from the IDNR. Frankly, since the IDNR manages wildlife for all Indiana citizens, not just hunters and fisherman, there probably should be a subsidy from the general fund from the State but that isn't going to happen. The real issue is the business runs much of the world anymore and wildlife of all species across much of the US in under tremendous pressure because of loss of habitat and other environmental issues. So, I for one, believe the IDNR is doing a very good job even though there are many things I wish were done differently.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"