Originally posted by 76chevy:
I work in medical sales. My customers (major hospitals) have no idea what the Obamacare changes for medicare/medicaid reimbursement mean for them (no one really does) until they go into effect.

No one is buying much equipment or wanting to make any long term decisions until they see how much they will get reimbursed per test, per patient, etc..

Some small hospital labs will go under, some large labs will pick up their work and become more efficient. Diseases are not going away and the treatment and monitoring work still needs to be done.

The market is changing rapidly like most have never seen. Ultimately, I think it will be good for the patient (which is all of us) but the changes are going to hurt in the short term.

Retirement?? What is that? Not working for 1/3 of your life? =)

My plan is to stay healthy and work as long as I can doing work I enjoy and hopefully making some money.

Originally posted by delaney:
[b] ....retirement for most Americans two generations, maybe one, will be a thing of the past. Part of the intent is to reduce bad debt from uninsured and then hopefully hold the inflationary trend in the future years to single digits instead of the double digits that most have experienced over the last few years. Health insurance was only about 5 to 7 years away from being totally removed by most employers because of how much it was going to cost. The other thing folks have to keep in mind is that insurers have no incentive for premiums to ever go down. They must have high single digit, at a minimum, premiums increases every year to feed the revenue growth the Wall Street demands. That is a major influence that has nothing to do with Obamacare or the ACA. The insurers have been able to refuse coverage for those who were really sick and thus pushed those people to federal and state plans, which taxpayers have had to fund. Now, the argument could be made that federal and state taxes needed to fund those programs will no longer be needed as much as in the past so taxes should be able to go down. But, of course, they won't because even government doesn't want to give up revenue. It's a vicious circle.
[/b]
Good points, but I would disagree with your statement that Hospitals don't know what is coming. Why did St V's and IU Health cut a combined 1500 + employees this summer?

They did it because they are preparing/planning on getting reimbursed at a Medicare type rate for all of their patients.