I have chickens, and predators. I wouldn't, however, shoot a dog (or any other animal) without good cause. I have seen coon hunters run dogs anywhere they like though.

This situation could have been avoided had the hunter asked for permission, or at least informed the neighboring properties that hounds would be in the area. If you stop at my house and let me know that you will be hunting adjacent land, then I'd know that the dog in my back yard is not after my chickens. If I didn't know a hunter was in the area, how would I know the dog was NOT after my chickens (or family, or dog, etc.)? Trust me, if a dog is attacking my dog/livestock/family, it will die.

By the way, I love dogs and have nothing against coon hunting. I also see know frustrating it can be when you lose chickens/livestock to any predator.

Charging the guy is ridiculous, especially a felony - but what is sad is that this "could" have been avoided. I feel bad for the guy - both of them! Charging him with a felony is very disturbing, and goes against common sense.

F&AM