I know I hear a lot of hunters complain about gamey tasting meat or being tough etc. The following is what I like to do when processing my deer that makes a world of difference for what it's worth and maybe somebody will find it helpful. I know some like it straight from deer to pan/grill etc so no need for you to read. This process also helps tremendously when time is a factor due to heat in the early season.

1) I skin the deer and then debone in as large of pieces as you desire. Personally I take off the whole quarter in two big chunks, Neck in two big chunks, back straps and etc. Whole process takes maybe 30 minutes.

2) Place them in a cooler of ice water. I just fill old gallon jugs with water and put them in the deep freeze for handy use. I put 2 or 3 in the cooler then fill with water just above the top of meat. Then add salt. I usually drain the water/ice and refill/repeat for two to three days. This gets a lot of the blood out of the muscle and thus imo removes what some term as gamey taste. For the extra picky on day two and three add beef broth to the mixture.

3) Be thorough in cleaning up the meat. I remove all silver skin/tendons/fat and etc. My trimmed up trash stuff is generally what most processors throw in the "grind/hamburger" pile.

4) Cut into desired cuts etc and put in the freezer. I usually put it in salt water or marinade of choice again as it thaws.

Since I've been doing this it makes processing and consuming the deer much more enjoyable. I can take my time cutting up the meat as my schedule permits within reason as the meat is always cold. It makes it tender and there is no "gamey" taste. I've had nobody that trys my prepared items not like them. I've even gone to not adding any fat trimmings at all to our burger. We all like it better as straight deer. Some guys that do this add brown sugar as well but I tried it and didn't like it. The process works the same on all deer. I hear guys say you don't won't that old tough buck, I can't tell the difference between an old buck or nice fat doe. They are all good.

*One last tip: If you think deer steak/etc. is tough then you are cooking it too long.

If you have some finicky eaters maybe some of these tips will help you out. Give it a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query