Originally posted by pav:
Originally posted by jjas:
[b] Let's look @ antlered harvest data. From 2004/2011 the average antlered harvest was 51,000 antlered bucks. During the three seasons prior to the reg change season of 2012, the antlered harvest averaged 52,000 antlered bucks.

So using your own yardstick of antlered buck harvest numbers as an indicator of herd decline, the numbers don't show that over the previous 8 years. It's only in 2012 after the regs changes occurred that antlered harvest numbers dropped.
No offense, but there always seems to be a point where your logic leaves me shaking my head in wonder. We've reached that point with the comments above.

I'm very curious to hear....what you think happened as a direct result of the 2.0 rules changes in 2012 that drove the antlered harvest down by 5,000+ animals in 2012?

Antlered deer hunting opportunity actually increased in 2012 versus 2011, but thousands fewer antlered deer were killed.

I look at that and it tells me the herd was in decline before the 2.0 rules ever went into effect. i.e There were fewer bucks available following the 2011 season.

You apparently see something totally different? [/b]
First of all, I don't think the new regs in 2012 had much to do with the decline in the antlered harvest, but I do think the new regs played a signficant role in the antler less harvest numbers.

So what do I think caused the drop in antlered deer numbers harvested in 2012?

EHD....

In 2011, EHD was suspected or identified in 9 counties. In 2012, EHD was suspected or identified in 67 counties.

Now, I suspect that you're going to say that if EHD was such a factor in the antlered deer poulation, how could the antler less harvest numbers be higher than the previous years totals?

And yes, the antler less numbers were higher. In 2011, there were 78,000 antler less deer harvested. In 2012, there were 89,000 antler less deer harvested. A difference of about 11,000 deer. So what could help explain an increased antler less harvest in 2012?

I can think of a couple of things....

1. During the archery season(s) the antler less total rose by 7,000 above the totals from 2011. I would suspect that crossbow usage and the new bundle tag contributed to this.

2. This was also the first year of the late antler less season and 10,000 antler less deer were harvested.

So the DNR wanted herd reduction and it appears they got it on the antler less side of the ledger. And based on that fact, it now begs the question as to how this will effect the harvest numbers for this season and beyond.

That's the million dollar question and why I look forward to the data from 2013 and beyond.

One last point to remember. If the DNR thinks the numbers demand it, bonus antler less permits can be reduced to the point that the bonus antler less season can all but be eliminated as anything 3 or below doesn't qualify for that season.

And if harvest numbers drop significantly, I could see that happening.