Originally posted by John Scifres:
Originally posted by PoseyCoHunter:
[b]So if you are complaining about not having deer out there to hunt getting rid of the crossbows is not going to do a thing being they only account for about 2%(previous stated)of the bow take.
I was just correcting this. Crossbows accounted for 6% of the total harvest in 2012. [/b]
Ok even at 6% that is not enough to account for much of a loss in the deer herd.
Like I stated I had a decent season, why you ask, SCOUTING! In the area I hunt, I watched the deer through the summer they were staying on the private property sanctuaries. I watched one small property extra close because it was close to an area that I have hunted before & knew fairly well. As more & more deer filled the small patch of woods the undergrowth got thinner & thinner up to about as high as the deer could reach. I watched a few times deer running through the corn field next to it to get to the woods I hunted, so I knew where they were feeding & I knew that they had eaten almost every thing in their woods.
They had eaten so much that as you drove by (if you had seen the woods in spring)you would realize that you could see all the way through the woods now, where you couldn't see 10yd through in the spring. So I knew that come gun season my stand was going to be on the main run in the woods on the other side of the corn field. Sure enough as gun season approached more & more deer were running to my woods to eat. The farmer even left a long patch of corn standing to try to give them cover as the ran from one woods to the other.
The night before opening day I got my stand in place in this public woods, hung a few scent wicks.
Opening morning when I got to my stand I saw a big rub on a tree not more than 20 yds from my stand. It wasn't 15 min after sun up that a good sized 8 point walked right by that tree with the rub on it. I let him walk a ways until he got into a clearing then I pulled the trigger on him.
So that is were the deer are in those private woods or at least until the food runs out.
You just need to do some scouting to find these hot spots & work a way to getting to the deer(or getting to deer to you) without trespassing.