It seems the compound crossbows need some regular maintenance, cams synced, string/cables changed, etc. though certainly not as much as a compound. I have a recurve crossbow, which would not need any service from a bow shop. I can change the strings and even put a new one on if got cut in the field.

The couple shops around me are still doing OK, I think, and I try to support them with my business. Both sell crossbows now too which helps their business I am sure.

Originally Posted by sticksender
Right now, local archery Pro Shops are still benefiting from the initial surge of crossbow sales. But there's far less need for a bow technician when it comes to crossbows. Take it out of the box and go shoot. Unlike a compound bow that still needs considerable technical support, especially for a new archer. Such as having draw length selected, cams timed, yokes tuned, draw weight set, peep installed, string loop installed, rest installed, release selected, sights installed, stabilizer selected/installed, properly spined shafts selected, getting advice on shooting form, etc, etc. Mail order and chain stores could easily take over most of the market for crossbows, due to their out-of-the-box readiness. And as more and more people choose the simpler route of a crossbow, the big-box stores could erase the small pro-shops out of the picture. They're already doing it.

Last edited by 76chevy; 11/23/2018 10:28 PM.