Originally posted by Double B:
Just curious Dew or the new guys or anybody for that matter since everbody is in a good mood, how does management in counties made up of all farms and leases differ from the counties making up the HOOSIER NF with a lot of state ground as well. Same regs and rules different ballgame with unlimited access. Call me crazy but I'm a public land hunting nut and my glass is half full. It's what I enjoy and the views are nice. But cooperation is at best a short term affair. Thoughts?
My views on this may rattle some feathers......but what's new about that... LOL!!

Here is the difference in that scenario in my mind...

1)Most hunters now attracted to hunting public land do so because they didn't and don't think far out into the future and it has bit them. They had farms to hunt.......erased most of the resource since they used it like public land, had a shallow relationship with the farmer just like they would have had with a Public Land Employee and had conversations with the farmer only when they had to, and treated the farm as a resource that would "self heal" from their purging of wildlife and neglect of the relationship of the land owner. They had "public land" mentality that is laced with "just take from the resource, and don't invest back". This type of attitude just doesn't stop usually in hunting either.... it is a "life script" that permeates everything they do, often leading to poor goals in life, poor education, poor job, poor finances, etc, etc. And then they wake up too late when someone that cares more about the resource, cares more about the relationship with the landowner, has more finances to lease it up and take care of it better since they have more foresight into what it takes to "have a better life" shows up. Harsh words.....but real words. So if you live in a county full of public land....you literally are attracting MORE these days of the ones that have lost farms and " $100 dollar leases" due to their own self inflicted demise. You are in an area that short sighted people will flock to since it is all they have left........and have NO INSIGHT WHATSOEVER in the gains of changing their ways. They are governed by the rules you put in front of them only...... it's easier that way........and then "can be someone else's fault" when things don't go how they want.

2) Areas that are full of farms and leases these days are starting to be filled by those that want to take care of the resource.....they want to work with their neighbors since they know the value of a good relationship.......they invest in the resource and hobby year round since it is valuable to them...... THEY CARE. They also have a "life script" that cares more than just about hunting and deer, they care about goals, the future, relationships, having a good job, taking care of finances, and know that INVESTMENT usually has REWARDS ..... and what we get out of life, hunting, anything in life that is super rewarding isn't going to be experienced by "just following government made regulations". So.... in these areas it is becoming more widespread to find those "like minded deer hunting goal driven" people as your neighbor.....AND THEY ARE ADVERTISING THEMSELVES AS THOSE THAT WANT TO BE A BETTER NEIGHBOR AND NOT ADVERTISING THEMSELVES AS "I DONT CARE WHAT MY NEIGHBOR DOES".

In short......... "birds of a feather are flocking together" and if you are in a county laced with public ground... the birds you are attracting are now being FORCED to flock in your neighborhood...and their habits don't leave them.

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"