Originally posted by pav:
In Iowa, they don't hunt deer with firearms during the rut. That is a HUGE factor for growing big deer. Iowa residents are used to seeing big deer, which makes many hunters more selective by default. Hunter attitudes in Iowa are a reflection of their management plan.

Same could be said anywhere, including Indiana. Whether you supported OBR or not, it is undeniable that OBR affected hunter attitudes when it comes to notching their buck tag. The regulations definitely make a difference in hunter attitudes.

I read an interesting piece talking about regulation versus conservation. Said for many years, conservation was the primary consideration when determining regulations. Not so much these days. Conservation has taken a back seat to politics and hunter preference.

That article speaks an unfortunate truth IMO.
IMO true as well.

Grant Woods said it well in a series of emails we had a couple years ago, "Most states manage based on the local deer hunting culture. Dog hunting, baiting, long rifle season, late rifle season, etc., are cultural decisions – not based on biology"

I also quote an NRC member at a meeting I went to when the Reg #1 was being shot down. The quote is, " Good deer biology doesn't make for good public policy."

Fishing and honeybee time