Originally posted by delaney:
I guess I do sometimes question what it takes to simply make most hunters in the field sharpshooters instead of hunters. I think in many regards that is what the sport of deer hunting is turning into. It's not about the sport of hunting deer, but instead the activity of sharpshooting deer.
I don't know if it's about sharpshooting as much as it is wanting to shoot a more accurate firearm or bow.

I carried a smooth bore slug gun for years, then I switched to the more accurate rifled slug gun. It allowed more accuracy @ longer ranges.

When Indiana allowed the pcr, I embraced that change. I found them easier to shoot accurately and the cost of ammo was so much lower that I practiced more and became more proficient on the range and in the field.

Now, if more traditional rifle calibers are allowed like say .270s, I'll likely give that a try as I see that as a step up in accuracy.

It's the same reason most switched from longbows to compounds. Longer range and better accuracy in the hands of average hunters.