CITIZEN PETITIONS

The Division of Fish and Wildlife would like your input on these issues that have been brought forward by the public for review and consideration.

(Note: these issues do not reflect the opinion or input from Indiana Division of Fish and Wildlife Staff)

1. Allow additional rifle cartridges - such as the .45-70, .30-30, 7.62 x 54, 7.62 x 39, .223, .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .270 Winchester;

increase the legal cartridge case length allowable for deer hunting to 2.250 inches in order to make the .444 Marlin and .45-70 Government legal to use.
Its my opinion that the rifle issue is a dead horse today. The way the DNR has defined a legal cartridge makes absolutely no sense ! A great example is the use of the most popular deer cartridge ever created, the .30-30 Winchester. This cartridge has probably taken more woods deer than all of the others put together, yet it remains illegal in Indiana; however, I can hunt with a 7mm Remington Magnum in an Encore pistol ! Stupid ! The only difference is that the Encore "pistol" has a 15 inch barrel as opposed to a rifle that could have a barrel only 1 inch longer at 16 inches. There is absolutely no thought or consideration given to muzzle velocity, muzzle energy, or other pertinent facts. Totally STUPID !

Using one of todays modern inline muzzleloaders, using saboted bullets, a hunter can easily surpass the ballistics of some of the illegal rifle cartridges.

I think my father in his infinite wisdom would sum it up best: " It all comes down to one mans opinion. ". Which is exactly right ! Whoever happens to be the head of the study committee makes the final decision without regard to factual data.

I remember when drawing a doe permit was like an early Christmas present. Now you just walk in and lay your money down. If you have a lifetime license, you don't even need money !

JB Whitetail is right. The herd was wiped out using primitive weapons. Why can it not be wiped out using modern weapons ? There are too many antlerless permits being handed out like candy at Halloween.

My .02 cents.