Originally posted by jjas:
I agree with you Delaney. And while I'm certainly not talking about you, I do find it interesting that many who tend to showcase the behavior of which you speak, fail to recognize it in themselves, while accusing others of it..... [/QUOTE]

Good point jjas..........the question then becomes as an "onlooker" and "judge" of those that put up big buck pictures year after year......do you take into consideration......

1) Are they also shooting does and encouraging others to shoot does? Do they practise what they preach? On my site we also have a doe contest........we showcase doe pics.......we award those that do well with helping manage the herd. I myself shoot more does than bucks each year......EVERY year. But you are right.......it does get disturbing to see "just antlers" showcased by some.....NOTHING else contributing to managing the "whole herd" concept.

2) Are they patting the guys on the back that shoot small bucks just like they pat a guy on the back for shooting does? Are they patting gus on the back that shoot other Big Bucks? Are they supportive to guys not getting a deer and try to help them with advice? Bottom line.....are they actively helpful and supportive of their fellow sportsman deer hunter at all levels. I get a little kink in my neck when I only see pics of "theirs"......but no other support or congrats of "others" no matter what level they would be. I gotta tell ya.....a model poster here that pats everyone on the back no matter what they have accomplished is DEC.....he has made a practise of that.....a model that many should consider.

3) Are they just "Stickers", and "Association"??.....this type of guy gives me a little chuckle too, and can go straight to "worrisome" pretty quick. Can't see out of their back window because of the massive "Bow Brand" sticker or Rack Stickers or Camo Brand stickers.........or the whole dang truck is wrapped in something telling everyone "I HUNT BIG DEER"......not to mention their 4 wheeler has stickers or ads on it too......and a deer bobble-head on the dash.....and a deer antler rubber cover for their trailer hitch ball. Just Comical.......but a true indication that its going to take "getting noticed" for them to feel as an accomplishment in this thing called "life". Now......we all need recognition.......I understand that........but beware of when "I NEED RECOGNITION AT ALL COSTS" is written all over someone that they can't even see to back up their truck. That's why I like the group I run with on my site.......no stickers on our trucks......no brand we have to be associated with........no website address on everything we drive or own.......etc, etc. Just good people that love hunting and love to support hunting.......and we know that's not done with a sticker.....it's done with a handshake. One of the funniest stories I have is about a few of these "types"........happened in southeast Ohio not too long ago. Was at a campground with a "Hunting Sticker Group" that was camping and deer hunting next to our campsite. They saw a treestand laying out side of my camper.....and here they come. I got an "education" from them......in an hour I was told how to hunt for big bucks in SE Ohio, and if I did what they said by wear certain camo, using certain scents, using a certain range finder, and by joining their website (which they had a business card for).....I was surely going to be a better hunter. I just listened......smiled.....and didn't say a word other than "thanks for the advise". Well the next morning I rolled into camp with a buck pushing 160 inches......and of those 4 guys at my campsite the day before, just the younger one came over that day and asked me some questions about the hunt while the rest of the "Sticker Crew" just stayed put. I wished him luck for the rest of their hunt......and he kinda snickered and said "none of us have ever seen or shot something like that, so were going to be needing ALOT of luck". And as he walked away.......I knew what kind of "camp" he was walking back to.......and I actually felt bad for the kid 'cause I knew from what he said......and the behavior out of the others...........he was in "Sticker/Association/Identity/Egomaniac Camp"........not "Hunting Camp". Word to the wise......pick your hunting buddies that are ALREADY solid with themselves as people first, and don't need some "sticker" to be their identity.

So yes jjas.........there is a difference between those that put up Big Buck Pics......their finger print of who they really are is quite easy to see.......the wisdom in the "onlooker" though is the ability to see and accept the "difference". The difficulty sometimes lays with the "onlooker" though that just sees "Big Buck Pictures" by successful hunters.......and throws them into the same "trash bin" in their mind as those that just eat antlers for breakfast, lunch and supper and goes to bed at night turning off their antler lamp and pull up the covers with a quilt with some massive buck print on it............

My 2 cents........

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"