In designing the cartridge chamber reamer the free bore/lead and throat dimensions were chosen so that the loaded cartridges would chamber with readily available bullets of 180 and 200 grains weight, have adequate bullet seating depth to give good neck tension, and maximize the available powder space. Also, the loaded cartridges had to meet an overall length of less than 2.80 inches so they would feed properly from common short-action bolt rifles. The resulting design is somewhat of a compromise, but it allows excellent performance of all existing 180 and 200 grain bullets.

Bullets that I successfully used in chronograph work included the 180 gr. Hornady SSP Interlock, the 200 gr. Hornady SP Interlock, the Barnes 180 gr. TTSX, and the Nosler 200 gr. Accubond bullet. Both Hornady bullets have a relatively short spire point, whereas the Barnes and Nosler bullets have much longer, more streamlined noses. The Barnes bullet is all copper (less dense than lead) and is much longer that the Hornady bullet of the same weight. The Nosler bullet is of conventional lead core design, but includes a very long pointed nose and a boat tail. Hence, it is much longer than the Hornady bullet of the same weight. The chamber reamer dimensions selected result in a design that can pretty well accommodate nearly any jacketed .358 rifle bullet of 180 to 200 grains from any major manufacturer. You would, of course, need to experiment to see what the optimum overall length of the loaded cartridge is.

You could use somewhat heavier bullets than 200 grains. However, you begin to face a tradeoff situation in that the bullet base must be seated so deeply that it may significantly intrude on available powder space. Heavier bullets may also warrant a slower burning powder. I chose not to go that route, believing that available bullets weighing 180 to 200 grains would do just fine for whatever big game animals I would likely hunt, including deer and elk. I especially like the Barnes TTSX bullets and the Nosler Accubond bullets for elk.

May all our hunts be safe, enjoyable, and deeply appreciated.