I recently took my rifle into a gunsmith for a trigger replacement. The triggers replacement is being paid for by Remington under a recall.

When I got my rifle back I tested it and found that it fired when I took the safety off and I was really pissed/scared.

I could not talk to the gunsmith when I picked up my rifle as he was not there at that time. I have had hard time getting hold of him on the phone due to his schedule and mine being different.

I also noticed that the new trigger was harder to pull. It was suppose to be a better trigger and much easier to pull than the old trigger.

I ended up taking the barrel off the stock and looking at how the barrel, stock, magazine and trigger guard went together. There was a screw that went though the stock. This screw was sitting against the front of the trigger and wearing off the glue that they put on the set screws at the factory. I could see where this brass screw was scratching the front part of the trigger mechanism. Now this is way up inside the gun.

I also noticed that my trigger guard (plastic) was not seating fully. It's held on by two screws. One screw on each end but nothing in the middle. And the plastic was sagging in the middle where the magazine's spring had push it downward over time.

I also noticed that at one time there were two washers that were used with these two screws. They were missing but I could see where they had been as there was washer imprints in the wood stock.

So I found some new washers and installed them were the old washers once were. This helped with one of the problems. It seems that the trigger was longer and larger than the old one and the bottom of the trigger was pushed against the trigger guard making it hard as **** to pull the trigger.

I got my dremel tool out and cut the end of the trigger down with a metal grinding stone.

Now the trigger works much better. The bottom of the trigger actually clears the top of the trigger guard and the trigger pull is much easier.

I measured the amount of force that it took to fire the gun and it was around 3 lbs. I used three different fish weighing scales. Two digital ones and one spring loaded "DE LIAR" scale.

I am going to call the gunsmith and ask him if he ever checked the rifle after he put the new trigger in.

I did try the rifle out one or two times at the store and it worked OK there. But when I got home the gun was really screwed up on further examination.

Moral of the story is check out your gun when you get it back from the gunsmith. Check it out thoroughly not just one or two times.

I still need to talk to the gunsmith and find out what's going on.

Right now I would be reluctant to take any more guns to him unless he can explain to me why my new trigger was so screwed up and why he didn't tell me about it.

I did talk to him on the phone before I picked up the gun and he told me that it was finished but that he was trying to figure out how to charge Remington for the work. He said that he would have that figured out by the next day. So two days later I went in to pick up the gun and he was not there. I had to get another store employee to get my gun for me and figure out how to work the computer to get the store to release my gun to me. That was a big pain in the butt too. I had to wait for 40 minutes and was told at first that I would have to come back later when the gun smith was there. That was unacceptable at the time so I insisted that someone get my gun for me. I could see the gun sitting on the shelf right behind the counter. And the paper work was attached to my rifle.

This happened at the new Gander Mountain Store in Evansville, IN.

I am just glad that I was able to get my gun to work after the new trigger was installed. But I feel that the gun smith should have checked the gun and told me that it was not working property before I picked it up. He never mentioned that anything was wrong when I talked to him on the phone.

Now: The main reason that Remington recalled these guns was because of a law suit against them back some years ago. The gun's original trigger/safety mechanism would not allow you to put the gun on safe if it was loaded and cocked. That caused it to go off on someone who shot someone else by accident.

Now I knew my gun had this problem but I never knew of the lawsuit or the recall until just last year.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and found that when I cocked my bolt and move the safety switch off safe and the gun fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Holly Cow!!!!!! This was not the outcome that I had expected.

Regards,

Moose1am