Originally posted by BIGBUCKS:
I agree ,There are some calibers that would be fine.
But I don't believe the state is ready for HI-power centerfire rifles that can reach out 250+yds.
Yeah you can argue ,They let you on yotes.They let you shoot tree rats with no caliber restcictions..........Now stop and think about this.How many people start out hunting coyotes?
How many start out hunting tree rats?When I say start out I mean never hunted ANYTHING before.
Now think about all the first time hunters that take the field on opening morning of shotgun.
**** the only squirrel hunters I know hunt everything. The only coyote hunter are all diehards. What I'm saying they all are experienced hunters.....
Handguns. You must have a handgun permit.More so than not that guy will be experienced.

Also think about the deer herd.Most deer are safe at say 100+ yards.Think about all the deer that live to see another day because of that.
Plus .It would most likely increase deer harvested (buck & doe)...Now more bucks killed means less muzzle loader tags sold. In return you have a increase in license prices.
I say leave it the way it is........
A .44 Magnum, 454 Casull, or even a .45 Long Colt is hardly a 250 yard cartridge. Your various shotgun gauges + Muzzleloader Sabots have the same effective range. Also remember that it is currently legal to use something like a .30-06 in a Handgun here in Indiana.

David