I'm 100% in favor of making rifles chambered for straight wall pistol cartridges legal in Indiana. I don't see why that would be anymore dangerous or of any bigger advantage over fully rifled shotguns shooting sabots, or handguns chambered in all sorts of high powered rifle cartridges, or even these new wonder muzzle loaders that are accurate out to over 200 yards.
So whats the big deal about calling a spade a spade and letting us use our lever action pistol caliber rifles? I use my Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum all the time when calling coyotes from a tree stand. It is a natural tree stand rifle with its short carbine size, and handles great. You talk about safety? In my 40 years of hunting I'd never had a close call until this fall in bow season of all things!! As I was walking through a standing corn field on the way to my ladder stand to bow hunt, I heard a shot fired about 200 yards to my right. I then heard a bullet come wizzing by, missing me by only a few yards. It sounded like it had ricochead off of something. After hearing a second shot, I quickly got out of the field and made it to my stand tree just as a third shot was fired and a round flew into the woodline I was in and struck a tree fifty yards away. The time between shots was just long enough to reload a muzzleloader so between shots I circled out of the impact area and returned to my car. I then drove to where a guy was set up on an old RR right of way, that borders our property, sighting in his muzzleloader. After a brief discussion with the shooter, and some quick pointer on shooting into a safe backstop, he left and I returned to my stand. Dead is dead. It doesn't matter if you're hit with a pistol bullet or a muzzleloaded slug. It's not the weapon, it's the guy pulling the trigger we need to watch. Indiana needs to get with the program..

Hunt safe y'all..Coyote 6974