Originally posted by chicobrownbear:
I had been on the fence for a while on this issue. Then, the death nell for my consideration came...

At a public range near my home, I went to shoot. Mr. NRA (hat, jacket, bumper sticker and probably official boxer shorts too) was on the line with his muzzle loader. I hardly took notice at first, but then I heard quite a boom, and then laughter. I turned around and saw this guy FILL (not half, not a quarter, not three quarters full, but heaping) a 12 GA. shotgun hull with FF, dump it down the barrel of the muzzle loader, finish loading, and then prime the thing. I was in total disbelief. When I saw the hammer go back, I got back in the truck and began to distance myself (for what should be obvious reasons.) He then began to repeat the situation as I tried to figure out what else to do with my day.

I grew up with a muzzle loader in my hand, belonged to a competitive club even before I was old enough to shoot (thanks Pop). I knew that no muzzle loader on the market could take that abuse for long.

While I very much appreciate the overall mission of the NRA, and I am fully aware of the "few bad apples" adage, I decided that it would be better to distance myself from this gentleman and his organization.

I realize that this may very well have been an isolated incident, and I hope that this particular man has not sustained any injuries from his exploits.
How much powder you recon that shell would hold?

There's not a "test" or any thing to get one of those hats you know. I've got one. I bet the guy has a driver's license and is a hoosier to. Did you stop driving and move out of state?

Drive for hours to hunt Hoosier National Forrest, only to find it is now the trailor trash ATV park? Turn them in here, 1-812-275-5987 Bedford HNF office law enforcement. Put it in your cell.