I had been on the fence for a while on this issue. Then, the death nell for my consideration came...

At a public range near my home, I went to shoot. Mr. NRA (hat, jacket, bumper sticker and probably official boxer shorts too) was on the line with his muzzle loader. I hardly took notice at first, but then I heard quite a boom, and then laughter. I turned around and saw this guy FILL (not half, not a quarter, not three quarters full, but heaping) a 12 GA. shotgun hull with FF, dump it down the barrel of the muzzle loader, finish loading, and then prime the thing. I was in total disbelief. When I saw the hammer go back, I got back in the truck and began to distance myself (for what should be obvious reasons.) He then began to repeat the situation as I tried to figure out what else to do with my day.

I grew up with a muzzle loader in my hand, belonged to a competitive club even before I was old enough to shoot (thanks Pop). I knew that no muzzle loader on the market could take that abuse for long.

While I very much appreciate the overall mission of the NRA, and I am fully aware of the "few bad apples" adage, I decided that it would be better to distance myself from this gentleman and his organization.

I realize that this may very well have been an isolated incident, and I hope that this particular man has not sustained any injuries from his exploits.

Well, thats just like, your opinion, man. - Jeffrey Lebowski