Originally posted by Steiny:
I was an NRA Member for many years, but quit several years ago for a couple reasons.

#1 The constant badgering for more money. Heck they probably spent $100 in phone calls and letters every year, just to me. That could have been used towards the cause. Pretty foolish in my opinion. Charge me higher dues if you need more money, but please quit calling and mailing me all the time. This was 90% of why I quit.

#2 Charlton Heston for a figurehead ... give me a break. The average person under 30-35 probably never saw one of his movies, or hardly even knew who the guy was. No doubt he was the man in his day, but a pretty poor choice by the NRA in my opinion. The dude looked like he was 100 years old up on stage.

So I quit paying the NRA and joined two other pro gun, pro conservation groups which I like much better; Safari Club International,and the Izaak Walton League of America.
Just my opinion, but those are really weak excuses for not being an NRA member.

They bugged you too much for money. I`m a life member, and I get mailers all the time asking for money. Get this: I send money when I can, and I don`t when I can`t.

And Charlton Heston a poor choice for president? Again, you`re entitled to your opinion, by my opinion is that Heston was an outstanding pick. He was a great speaker-very much like Regan, a very powerful speaker. You should read his book, The Courage To Be Free, an outstanding book.

As for your conservation groups, those are all well and good, but conservation doesn`t save the Second Amendment. I don`t get how you think that helps anything.

Maybe it`s really best you`re not an NRA member anyway. That way you don`t have to make any excuses to anybody, acting like you really care about Second Amendment rights, or really support us. There are better than 4 million of us currently, and you`re fortunate because we`ll keep carrying the load for you and those who think like you do.