Remember the AK, just like an AR, is simply a platform. I am not advocating anything by saying that, just remember not to get caught up in the "evil" looks mindset because they don't fit what a traditional hunting rifle looks like.

In actuality, the 7.62x39 round (typical of an AK 47) is not a bad deer hunting round. It is similar to a 30-30 in terms of ballistics. You would want to pick a good bullet and not a surplus round, but it would make a good deer hunting round if one were to go about it properly. There are a lot of guys that deer hunt with the SKS rifle in states where the round is legal. If you were to work within the accuracy limits of an AK and chose the right bullet, then it would be no worse than many other rifles out there for deer hunting. And no one says you have to put a 30 round mag in one either, or even load that mag up completely.

I'm not a rifle hunter. But I own many rifles in both traditional rifle looks as well as probably way too many that look "evil" including AK's. We need to be careful when we say that a rifle of a certain look shouldn't be allowed for hunting. If we do that then we are no better than those who want gun rights restrictions based on the looks of a gun.

I have no dog in the fight when it comes to rifle hunting. I have my opinions but they are irrelevant anymore and honestly would just promote further fighting among us as hunters. But I do want to remind us to be careful if we try to attack the rifle being hunted with because it doesn't fit what we perceive to be a true hunting rifle. We can go after calibers and magazine limits with good science as we move forward in whatever direction this goes.

Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!