Friday August 15, 2014 around 9:30 pm I had to put my Chrissy to sleep. She was a 15 year old black lab and I had had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was my friend, comforter and hunting buddy. We had quite a few good hunts together and it was so rewarding to watch her develop over the years. She grew into a far better hunter and friend that I could have ever expected her to be and a part of me died with her. I knew the day was coming and I thought I had prepared myself for her passing but I was wrong. I havent cried that hard in a really long time.

I ran into an old article in Field & Stream magazine from 2009 that discussed this very topic and the question of the article was, "Could you put down your dog yourself or would you have someone else do it?"

For me, there was absolutely no way I could have done it myself. She trusted me for 15 years and always looked to me for help when she was hurt. She literally trusted me with her life and there was no way I could take it from her. My wife and I chose to take her to the vet for a final exam and to get the vet's opinion. The vet, without coming out and saying it, basically said it was time. Chrissy's body had just worn out. When that moment came I had to leave the room because I had completely lost it. I just couldn't shoot her, no freakin' way and I felt she deserved a peaceful passing and that is what she got. I don't know how long it will take me to get over losing her but my heart will always be a little less full until the day I can see her again.

What are your thoughts?