Man arrested for shooting dog

By Wade Coggeshall

DANVILLE — Charges have been filed against a resident here for the shooting and subsequent death of a trained hunting dog.

John J. “Jay” Faubion, 64, of 3821 N. C.R. 400 E., was arrested and charged with a class D felony for killing a domestic animal and two class A misdemeanors for cruelty to an animal. A class D felony in Indiana carries a minimum sentence of six months in prison.

Hendricks County sheriff’s deputies and Jeffrey Wells, conservation officer with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, were dispatched to the Faubion residence on the evening of Sept. 23 on a report of a dog shooting.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Brad Hall told investigators that he and his father, Albert, had just begun to run their treeing walker coonhounds near the intersection of County Roads 400 East and 400 North when the dogs took off toward the south. The dogs were wearing Global Positioning System devices. The Halls used those to track them to the Faubion residence.

Investigators say Faubion told them he heard what sounded to him like a dogfight outside his home at the time. He told officials he went outside and saw his dog on its back with three unknown dogs attacking it. Faubion then told officials he yelled to separate the dogs and was able to get his dog inside the house. No injuries were reported on Faubion’s dog.

The report then states that Faubion came back outside with a handgun and fired a shot into the air when one of the dogs charged him. That supposedly prompted the dogs to run south through the open gate of a fenced enclosure used as a dog pen. Officials say Faubion, realizing the enclosure had openings under the fence, decided to enter the pen to further scare off the dogs, fearing they could harm his wife if he left them. The report states that Faubion entered the pen and fired another shot into the air to scare the dogs. He told police he then shot two more rounds directly at the dogs when they charged at him.

One of the coonhounds, Banjo, was shot between the eyes. It was later euthanized. The other dog, Remus, suffered a graze wound on the back of its neck that had to be sutured.

In the affidavit Wells said he questioned Faubion as to why he would enter the pen with the dogs when he had previously been concerned for his safety. Also Wells said he asked him why he stood in the path of the open gate while he was supposedly trying to get the dogs off his property. For both Faubion reportedly answered that in hindsight it may not have been the best way to handle the situation.

Treeing walker coonhounds are known for being good trackers of wild game. Because raccoons are nocturnal, coon hunting generally occurs at night. Hall said he uses GPS collars on his dogs to keep track of them, and owners of such coonhounds are required by law to wear hats with headlights when hunting.

Hall told investigators Banjo had a meek nature, had extensive training around humans and other dogs, and had never displayed any aggressive behavior.

Banjo was set to compete in the Pro Kennel Club’s World Hunt in October at Salem, Ill.

Ironically, Hall is director of the Hoosier Tree Dog Alliance, which started a campaign called “Don’t Shoot My Dog,” meant to educate the public on what hunting dogs do.

“I never would’ve dreamed I’d have to use what we’re training for myself,” Hall said. “I want this tragedy to be a positive, to be an education out of a bad situation.”