I'd dreamt of doing a Quebec caribou hunt for years, but had always put it off. Hunting the wild northern tundra, with it's huge migrating herds of caribou, was an adventure that was high on my bucket list. And then those plans were accelerated earlier this year, when the government of Quebec announced that caribou hunting would be closed, to all except the native tribes, after the conclusion of the 2017 hunting season. Considering that the Quebec-Labrador sub-species of caribou cannot be hunted in any other country, state, or province, I made the decision to search for an opening to do this hunt in it's final year. Provincial law mandates that non-residents may only hunt via the services of an outfitter. So after contacting Jack Hume Adventures, a well-known and highly-regarded Quebec outfitter, in the late spring I was able to get signed up when a cancellation became available. My hunt would take place Sept 15-21.

Getting up to the far north country where the caribou roam is an adventure in itself. I first drove the 15 hours to Montreal, and from there took a twin turbo prop flight with 31 other guys to Lac Pau, about 800 miles up into northern Quebec. Located there at the outpost village of Caniapiscau is the base camp headquarters for JHA. From there, we were split into small groups and sent off to various satellite camps to the north. My group of 7 hunters took an Otter single engine aircraft to Camp Coursolles, about 120 miles north.

[Linked Image]

View from the air:

[Linked Image]

Camp Coursolles:

[Linked Image]

--------------------