I went to Idaho with my son a couple weeks ago and had a great time. We never did get into the elk despite trying very hard. My friend lives out there and had a bull moose tag so the last morning of the hunt we went out with him to a spot 15 minutes from his house. There was a possibility of both elk and moose so we weren't surprised to get into several cows. So many in fact that we decided that there had to be a bull around.
About 8:55 we hear a large animal or two crashing through the adjacent hollow. Steve runs down one point and I my son James and I run down the other. No sooner had I decided that the animals were elk since they were running very fast and didn't seem as heavy as moose then Steve took a shot. James said "I guess they were moose". We get to a spot where we can see Steve and he shoots again and waves us over. The moose, a cow and bull, had holed up in some brush and as we watched. The cow and then the bull emerged 150+ yards out. Steve took a 3rd and 4th shot and then I handed him my rifle and he took the final shot that put the bull down. He sure was big smile

Steve and Me:
[Linked Image]

Steve and James:

[Linked Image]

We spent the next 12 hours packing 3 loads each down the 2.5 miles to the truck. James carried both front shoulders out by himself. He sure is turning into a fine young man. The last load was in the dark, in the rain and was brutal. We had to leave at 2:00 am the next morning and finally go to bed at 11:00. It was a great adventure and quite a challenge.