I started taking my son out with me to the woods as soon as he could walk. We'd pick mushrooms, raspberries, black berries and just walk around. He loved finding different tracks and asking what they were. By 5 he was sitting in turkey blind with me and at the base of trees with me on ridge tops while deer hunting. He was usually good for 2 hours. Luckily the first trip to turkey blind we weren't in it more than 45 min and we were done. He was hooked after he saw that Tom put on a show. He took his first turkey and deer at 6. He's now 7 with two turkeys under his belt and all I am hearing right now is when does deer season start. I think he will be surprised when I tell him squirrel season starts in a few short weeks, I think he's forgotten that starts before deer season. Next year I will let him take the hunters ed course. I think he could pass it now, he's a quick learner and retains info like a sponge. Good luck everything you've ever done in the woods will be a distant second memory once you see your child's firsts. Good luck to you.