Earlier this week I used my old Marlin Model 39 (not 39A) with a 4-digit serial number made in the 1920s or 1930s. It is wearing a very nice, classic Lyman Alaskan scope (2.5 power) from the World War II era. I also used this rifle combination last year to very good effect on squirrels (as was posted on the Small Game or Upland Hunting forum).

With this young groundhog I think I have finally wiped out (temporarily, but most likely not permanently) the rodents from my old tobacco barn. Having a “dirt floor” and plenty of openings to animals from the nearby woods and crop fields it seems to be a natural place for groundhogs to set up and raise a family.

The tally this spring was one young hog with my S&W M63 .22 caliber revolver plus three young ones and the sow with my Marlin M39. All were relatively close shots, the farthest being about 8 yards away. The closest was with the S&W and was only about 3 feet away. It was all about patience, setting up in the barn itself, waiting for the pesky animals to stick out their head from one of several burrows. One day about two weeks ago I got lucky and got a double with my rifle on two young hogs. That Marlin 39 really has a slick action! Its accuracy isn’t bad either. I just need to remember to aim a little bit high at very close range.

The picture was taken the next day out in the corn field. Previously the groundhogs placed there were gone during the night, probably making a few meals for the coyotes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

May all our hunts be safe, enjoyable, and deeply appreciated.