At a FWCC. Meeting last night we were informed the bobcat hunting and trapping rules (dates) have been preliminary adopted and posted for comments. The proposed dates are November 8th 2018 thru January 31st 2019. Each hunter or trapper has a bag limit of ONE until an established county quota is reached.

My question to trappers and hunters are as following.

1. Coyote trapping starts earlier October 15th, would it not be better if bobcat trapping started on the same date as coyote? As proposed trappers would have to release any bobcat caught in traps prior to November 8th. Coyote and bobcats ets are the same, why would we educate and give a sore paw? I propose we start trapping of coyote and bobcats to start on October 15th.

2. Hunting bobcats would be during firearm deer season. This would mean several bobcats could/ would be taken with large caliber rifles,muzzleloader and shotgun slugs on an "opportunity" basis. The prior mentioned loads would destroy the pelts of a beautiful game animal. I would propose a split season for bobcats, trapping as the first season per above. Then we could have a hunting season from January 1-31.

There are not many trappers left and with a limit of one per person I doubt a county limit would fill prior to January 1st. A January hunting season would give sportsmen a new critter and a different experience with this species including game calling.

What says you guys? And please comment on the rule on IDNR comment page.

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....