Originally posted by cedarthicket:
First off, congratulations to anyone who can bag the daily limit of 5 squirrels, whether they are foxes or grays (or a mixture of foxes and grays) with a .22 rimfire rifle.

Generally speaking, I tend to agree with DRS that successfully hunting gray squirrels with a .22 rimfire rifle is more difficult than successfully hunting fox squirrels with the same rifle. Grays make for a somewhat smaller target and they tend to be much more actively moving about than fox squirrels. More times than not about the time you have your sights properly aligned the gray squirrel moves!!
cedarthicket, I bet I have missed more Gray Squirrels than I have bagged this particular hunting season. Foliage this year is thicker than normal here in Ky. and hunting Grays is a real challenge....you finally think you have a decent shot then the Gray Squirrel jumps and that is it! You're only allowed a few seconds to place your cross hairs on the Gray Squirrel and pull the trigger. Fox Squirrels are far simpler to hunt & harvest.

David