Ouch that hurts as I like to hunt coyotes with my AR15 at night with lights. Guess I better read up on the new regulations at the Fish and Wildlife areas before I try doing that again.

I was not aware that we could not rabbit hunt or go scouting the area unless we were waterfowl hunting. I guess you have to have signed into the main log before hunting too.

I always wondered if Loon was off limits to anyone except water fowl hunter and then they are not allowed in the Refuge area to hunt. If it's a resting area then hunting there would certainly scare off the geese. At our resting area (loon Pit in Warrick County, IN) the geese actually nest there and raise their young. I was out crappie fishing there one year in April and there were plenty of Giant Canadian Geese nesting on the island near where I was fishing and they let me know that they were not pleased by my presence. I heard lots of geese honking their displeasure at my appearance. It was sort of funny. I kept on fishing and didn't really go that close to them as the closer I got to them the louder they became. I didn't want to mess with any mother goose protecting their young or their eggs in the nest. I've heard stories about geese attacking people that get too close to their young or nest.

I have seen lots of people out there fishing at times in the spring on Loon Pit and all though the summer.

Patoka Lake has areas that are closed off during waterfowl hunting season. Usually it's the upper ends of the creek that run into that lake. They are closed for most of the winter season that waterfowl are hunted.

Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
All of the Waterfowl Resting Areas were closed this season on F&W properties to non-waterfowl hunting people during the LATE goose season....that meant no fishing, no small game hunting, no coyote hunting and no scouting.... Only those hunting geese were allowed in those areas...they opened back up after late goose was done....I wanted to go scout some new deer areas, and was told nope, stay out until the season closed .....

Regards,

Moose1am