I counted last night, I had killed a turkey for 17 years in a row in Indiana. That includes a luck bird that still stands as the longest bearded turkey taken in Indiana and ranks 10th all time with the NWTF. 18 1/4 inches!

Then I had the hunting gods show me some humility, alot of humility.... SIX years worth! And it looked like a seventh, until yesterday morning.

I have a plan, birds are in a small wooded area every day I hunted, they don't come to call just walk away I'm going to go silent and set up the way they walk away every day. Great plan but no one checked with the birds, they didn't roost there! Drive and find another bird after daylight, jump in a blind, he gobbles twice and never shows. At 10:30 I have had it and head back to house, as I round a curve I see four toms and one hen. The toms gobble at my truck as I drive by them and walk off. I relate the sighting to my friend BZeb and go reheat last nights left over pizza.

After eating Zeb and I go on a scouting trip to see if the birds are still in the field I spotted them in. We are looking from a wooded hill side almost 700 yards away and see 2 toms in full strut. Zeb says "You saw them go kill one." We hike back to the house and I get head gear and glove, that's right I only picked up one glove the one for my trigger hand.

I seak up to the last tree on field edge and set down and then I see two fans. Hens come out on farm road as well as two toms at 60 yards. Now I know folks kill birds at some long ranges, but a wounded bird is not worth the risk, at least in my opinion. The birds go back the way they came and are going back to the middle of the field, I have to risk moving..... Belly crawling, yes this fat old man acted like a worm! 100 yards later I ease up from a brush pile and am looking eye to eye at a very red headed tom, Snap shot and I miss at 15 yards, birds flying everywhere! I look as I stand up and hens jakes and long beards are flying away!Eight or more birds with at least half bearded males flying in all directions. I'm not shooting at a Jake, I'm looking for a long beard ...

Then I see a lone tom running broadside, BOOM! he falls gets up and runs again..... BOOM........ he falls again and is done.........Good thing...... Barney was out of bullets!

Anyway here he is.......glad the drought is over!

[Linked Image]

2 year old 22 pounds with 9 1/4 inch beard, 19mm spurs

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....