Originally posted by pav:
John,

Crossbows are definitely short range weapons compared to firearms but I personally don't consider them bowhunting. For the most part, crossbows allow gun hunters to deer hunt during bow season. So, let them use their crossbows during the rut. It is "their" season too now.

Bryan,

Deer hunting with short range weapons is an entirely different ballgame.

First, there is no way bows and crossbows are going to knock out tens of thousands of breeder bucks during a two week rut period...let alone a two day period (opening weekend of firearms).

Second, it's not just about the number of bucks killed, it is also the disruption caused by deer drives and thousands of hunters just walking around on the ground all day still hunting and prospecting. The vast majority of guys hunting with short range weapons spend the daylight hours with their butts parked in trees (i.e. MUCH less invasive resulting in MUCH less disruption).

I could absolutely live with shutting it all down for two weeks, but I don't believe that is necessary. Limiting deer hunters to short range weapons during the rut would greatly reduce breeder buck mortality and give them a chance to do their job before gun season....without removing deer hunting opportunity. It works in states like Iowa, Kansas and Ohio. It works for other big game species such as elk. Most western states offer short range weapons during the bugle, but very few offer long range weapons during the bugle. Those that do, restrict tag numbers to greatly limit bull mortality during the bugle.
Maybe I'm confused here. First, you were talking about the problem with the rut is because of too much hunter disruption and then added that too many breeder bucks are being killed during the rut. These are two totally different issues. If the problem with the rut being out of whack is because of too much disruption than it doesn't matter what type of weapon the hunter is using because they are still causing a disruption.

Now, you are right that short range weapons will cause less breeder bucks to be harvested and there is no way anyone can disagree with that statement. However, if everyone of those gun hunters went out and got whatever bows available and went out there then you are still having the same problem with human disruption which is the whole problem and not so much as the weapon used.

But what no one is talking about why our rutting activity is out of whack is the climate. Our Fall and Winters are a lot warmer than it was a decade or so ago. I'm going to be 40 in June and when I was a kid growing up in Northern Indiana, when it snowed, there was snow on the ground till Spring thaw. I remember going Trick or Treating with snow on the ground. Now, it isn't that way anymore. It is nothing to have temps in the 60's to even 70 sometimes in November. I recently read an article the other day and it is "projected" that by 2050, our Summers are going to be that of Northern Texas and our Winters that of Southeastern Virgina. You cannot deny that it wouldn't cause an issue with the rut because it does.