Originally posted by js2397:
I don't think it's possible to have a herd with the sex ratio as out of whack as 4:1. Let's say you finish last year with 40 does and 10 bucks and a 1 fawns per doe average with a 50/50 birth rate. You start the next season with 60 does, 20 button bucks, and 10 bucks, 2:1. Next year 90 does, 30 button bucks, and 20 bucks, 1.8:1. Next year 135 does, 45 button bucks, and 30 bucks 1.8:1. This is assuming you kill every buck every year and never kill a doe. Based on harvest data that's not happening, so most areas are really close to 2:1 even if specific properties hold deer at different rates due to property characteristics. The bucks will find the does during the breeding period and return to their home range.
QDMA says Midwestern states typically run somewhere between 3:1 and 5:1 doe:buck ratio. That's why I used 4:1 in my example...middle of the road. Jim Mitchell once told the Indiana Deer Advisory Council that he believed Indiana averaged a 6:1 doe:buck ratio. That was roughly the same time frame the one buck rule was initially adopted...so I doubt that ratio holds true today.

I agree the bucks will find the does...it just might take multiple breeding cycles for that to happen. Multiple breeding cycles are bad for adult deer (additional stress on bucks and does during the worst part of the year weather/food wise). Multiple breeding cycles also spread out the fawn drop....which is absolutely terrible for fawn recruitment. A shorter fawn drop period equals less fawns falling prey to coyotes.

My message here...although I doubt many are listening...is the general firearms season should NEVER open until after peak breeding dates. It would not take much of a shift in timing to make that happen.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.