Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
Why... because it IS to long ... Indiana could have one heck of a deer herd, if they had decent management ... there is no reason to have over 30 days of some kind of gun/firearms.... Illinois has a much better system with their firearms and they still manage the herd numbers to within both social and biological carrying capacity ...
Do you hunt in Illinois? I work with a Maintenance Manager who has a family farm and I ask him every year how his Illinois hunt went and he for several years it has said it sucked because the deer are no longer there.

What constitutes "one heck of a deer herd"? Every time you go out you see do you expect to see 5,10,20,50 deer at one time.

The loss of habitat one of the biggest reasons why herds are declining in some areas and you should know that living in LaPorte County. Most of the southern part of the County is rural and it is mostly farmland. There isn't much woods or forests left to sustain large herds.

The best thing Indiana ever did was go to our One Buck rule... the worst thing is the darn Dec. kill all the Does season .... two great things Indiana needs to do... one, stop the Dec. antlerless season(or drastically reduce the numbers of counties at least) and two, shorten gun and move it back to Thanksgiving....
All you've done since the implementation of the Dec hunting is complain about it so why would you support "reducing the counties" instead of being totally against it all together? I am against it, so I do not participate in it, and never will.

But I also know that when I hunt in Franklin and Fulton Counties, that whatever happens in the surrounding counties has NO impact on my hunting whatsoever. Matter of fact, what ever happens 10 miles down the road has very little impact on my hunting. Does generally spend their entire lives within a mile of where they were born and bucks generally do too, but, will travel up to 5 miles during the rut and generally return to their home range after the rut is finished.

Also, you are aware that the OBR is a misnomer right? If we as hunters have the ability to take more than one buck, then we do not have a true OBR. I do agree that it needs to be addressed though.

IMO
Season dates, length, weapons used, is all relative. It all starts with looking in the mirror. The reflection staring back at you is the biggest factor when it comes to our herd size.