According to the author of the bill (Representative Eberhart) to allow the expansion of HPR calibers, this was NOT the intention of the bill. Apparently the wording in the bill screwed this up by stating that rifles were only to be used on private land. The intent was HPR's, not the straight wall rounds, but the wording was generic and therefore the straight walls fall into a rifle category under the letter of the law. He admitted that he was wrong as were all that supposedly read the bill, voted on the bill, including IDNR who reviewed the bill before a vote. In his statement, he said that they are trying to figure out a solution for yet this year and worst case it will be addressed for 2018 this coming January.

I'm not defending the guy ... just reporting what is on public record. To me it sounds like it was originally an honest mistake on his part, but then gross negligence on the part of all of those who reviewed this bill before it went to vote. It is a sad example of how our government must "approve the bill to know what is in the bill" ... to steal from the legendary Obamacare supporter Nancy Pelosi. The "Swamp" is bigger than Washington DC apparently.

Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!