Great Email From Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area

"We do not have accurate up to date harvest numbers at this time due in part to the online check-in system. Our hunters are still required to turn in their hunting permit cards and report all game harvested to us…..but I know that isn’t happening in many cases. Therefore, we have to wait until the numbers are sent to us at the end of the season and compare it to what we have because we cannot query the online system at the property level. Based on what has been reported so far across the Northern Fish & Wildlife Areas, the harvest is down but how much we don’t know for sure yet.

For example, last year on Jasper-Pulaski we had 126 deer turned in on cards here at the property but I know that we actually killed at least 135 after comparing the cards against the online system.

Despite what has been reported on the Hoosier Hunting website, JP has never had a deer harvest in the high 200’s. In fact, JP has only broken 200 three times and that was in the late 80’s-early 90’s during times when FWA’s were required to allow bonus antlerless deer to be taken in the firearms season. Don’t get me wrong, the harvest will be down this year from what it was last year, I’m just trying to correct any misinformation and/or exaggerated claims.

FYI here is some historical data:

Average number of deer taken on JP:
1980-1989= 144.8
1990-1999= 145.9
2000- 2009= 154
2010-2015= 131

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Marketing Guy in Chicago but grew up in Indiana/ Ball State.. blah blah blah.