Originally posted by Yaz:
Originally posted by js2397:
[b] I understand what you are saying but the law as written doesn't say anything about the caliber of the bullet. It says .243, .308. .30-06, .300, and 30/30. I understand the intent but I also think you could create a wildcat using the .30-06 necked down to shoot a .257 bullet and could be legal. It would have to play out in court but a good lawyer would get you out of trouble.
The rules as I seen defined: I don't see anything left up to any interpretation here????

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
• The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
• The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
• No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
• A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field [/b]
That is the DNR interpretation.

The actual bill says this:

(2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches. (3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following cartridges:
(A) .243.
(B) .30-30.
(C) .300.
(D) .30-06.
(E) .308.

I know what was intended by those requirements, but I still think you could build a .30-06 that fires a .257 bullet (.25-06) and be compliant with the law. Though to be fair I do not have a law degree so I am probably wrong.

You still will get a ticket and it would be much more trouble and money than it would be worth.