Yep, used this method a few times on IN deer, as my hunting buddy prefers it to quartering while hanging. He was shown this by his father in law who used this many times out west, as well as every IN deer...but he has the luxury of his own farm and tractor to use. Never guts an animal. cool

Also used this method myself in CO this fall with first cow elk harvest.

Originally posted by 76chevy:
Interesting.

found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZZqSFMSZQ

getting the tenderloins out looks quite simple on video. I might have to try this method... Telecheck makes it easy to get them checked in quick in the field.

Originally posted by sticksender:
[b] Alternative is the gutless method. None of the entrails are ever touched. Each front quarter comes off with the neck meat from the corresponding side all in one piece. Then the backstraps get fileted out. Then the two hind quarters are removed by fileting around the pelvis, with zero meat lost. And finally the tenderloins are taken, which is the only tricky part, but not bad. So then you have 4 quarters to hang, or take to the butcher. No reason to take backstraps or tenderloins to a butcher. Just eat or freeze those wink

It may not be for everyone, but the gutless method is common on big game hunts out west, where you have to pack out the carcass on your back. Nothing to prevent using it on whitetails off the back 40 either. The other benefit is that it gets the meat cooled down much faster.
[/b]

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're flying with a bunch of turkeys.