Many of the guys I know are seeing less and less deer every year. These are not bioligists, NRC members or DNR employees etc. These are guys that actually get out and live deer hunting. Most of them year round.

I think the deer population is way down in many areas for a variety of reasons (ehd, predation, liberal limits and seasons). I'm fortunate to be able to hunt in several areas of the state and all of them are down in numbers compared to years past. It seems like each year is getting worse. Fortunately the immediate areas I'm hunting is by like minded individuals who see this and we are managing for it but I know many where this isn't an option.

I'm saying all of this because I feel the increased trend for shoot all does and give guys additional opportunity is going to have a very negative effect on hunting in the near future. I have the opportunity to hunt Ohio and they are starting to experience this already. Almost every Ohio forum has members concerned with low deer numbers. I only bring this up because I feel we are starting to mirror things they are already doing or considering i.e. (late muzzleloader season, opening season earlier, allowing crossbows, considering a antlerless only early muzzleloader season and etc.)These changes will only accelerate our affect compared to theirs, as we have less deer numbers overall, our habitat is more open and our gun seasons are much more liberal.
I know there will be guys that respond with I'm seeing more deer or quit shooting does if you aren't seeing deer and etc. I think overabundace of deer are only in very restricted access areas. As far as the don't shoot the does, that is very hard for someone with small properties or those hunting public areas to control what everyone else is doing. Only a small percentage of hunters stay informed and go onto forums like this or spend all year involved in the deer hunting process. The rest believe whatever the DNR puts out and thinks if they allow so many to be killed that they are fine shooting whatever they see.

Many also say how can the harvest #s keep going up if there aren't as many deer. Here is how: Each year we are increasing opportunity and extending seasons. As this continues more will be killed each year until you hit a wall and the numbers start to drastically decrease. This is what is happening in Ohio right now and what I predict will happen in Indiana in the near future.

Guess I just wanted to express my opinion in hopes of persuading people to offer their input on these new "increased opportunity" type seasons.

I know many will be introducing new hunters to the hunting/outdoor lifestyle and it is hard to keep their interests up when there aren't many deer to pursue.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query