Ellettsville
G
Goosepond_Monster Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Goosepond_Monster  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
G
Ellettsville
Hunters took advantage of new equipment regulations and extra hunting dates to harvest a record 136,248 deer during the 2012 season, according to data the DNR gathered from designated check stations and from a recently implemented online and phone reporting system.

The total harvest represented a 6 percent increase over the 2011 season’s harvest and topped the previous record of 134,004 deer set in 2010.

“We started down the path to strategically reduce the deer herd in order to balance the ecological, recreational, and economic needs of all Indiana citizens,” said Mitch Marcus, wildlife chief for the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife. “To meet that strategy, we initiated several regulation changes to make it easier to take antlerless deer. It appears the regulations may be working.”

Key regulation changes implemented in 2012 included making crossbows legal equipment for all licensed hunters during archery season; adding a special late antlerless season in designated counties from Dec. 26 to Jan. 6; extending the urban zone season to run continuously from Sept. 15 to the end of January; and allowing youth hunters in the two-day youth season to take whatever the bonus antlerless quota was in the county where they hunted. Archery season also increased by seven days with elimination of the traditional one-week break between early and late segments.

Crossbow hunters took 8,452 deer, or 6 percent of the overall total. That was an increase from 1,091 deer, or 1 percent, reported in 2011 when crossbows could be used in early archery season only by persons with a disabilities permit or by any licensed hunter in late archery season.

Hunters using archery equipment tagged more deer in 2012 (27,580) than they did in 2011 (26,715) or 2010 (27,186).

Youth hunters bagged 3,587 deer, up 55 percent from 2011, and the new special late antlerless season accounted for 10,091 deer.

It also was the first year of a license bundle, which allowed the buyer to hunt in all segments of deer season—except in urban zones—for a total of one antlered and two antlerless deer. More than 56,600 license bundles were purchased in 2012, second only to the resident firearm license.

“In previous years, five or six at the most, resident license holders accounted for 42 percent of the harvest,” said Chad Stewart, DNR deer management biologist. “This year, resident license holders accounted for 47 percent of the total harvest. That’s only a couple percentage points, but to move it even that much is pretty significant. That’s probably attributed to the bundle license. We don’t know that for sure, but that’s where we’re leaning because it’s the one thing in the rules that only affected resident hunters.”

The total harvest was made up of 45,936 antlered deer and 90,312 antlerless deer. The proportion of reported antlered deer in the harvest (34 percent) is the lowest in Indiana’s history while the antlerless total was the highest.

“Despite the record harvest, trends within the harvest data showed that deer numbers were down this year,” Marcus said. “The number of antlered deer in the harvest was at its lowest point since 2000, an indicator of a reduced deer herd.”

Stewart said the antlered deer harvest tracks the total population about as well as anything because there are fewer variables to consider.

“Year-to-year hunter efforts don’t change much, so people aren’t all of a sudden taking three bucks or eight bucks; they’re locked into one buck,” he said, noting the one-buck limit in Indiana. “If there are fewer bucks to kill with the same amount of hunter effort, not as many bucks get killed, which tells us the overall population is down.”

Additionally, an outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease affected deer in nearly 60 counties. EHD is a viral disease transmitted by biting flies that is often fatal to deer, though some deer will survive the illness.

“Whether this (population) decline is due to this year’s outbreak of EHD, recent efforts to strategically reduce the deer herd, or a combination of both factors remains to be seen, but probably varies from county to county,” Marcus said. “As we continue on the path to strategically reduce the deer herd, we will monitor the herd and harvest each year and make adjustments to ensure that hunters will have the opportunity to be successful.”

Switzerland County had the highest reported harvest at 3,506 deer, leading the state for the first time since 2004 and ending a seven-year run by Steuben as the top county. Steuben dropped to fifth with a reported harvest of 3,076 deer, the fewest for that county since 2003.

Of the total harvest, 82,151 deer were recorded at check stations, 53,389 online, and 708 by phone.

To read the complete report, go to wildlife.IN.gov and click on the Deer Harvest Summary link at the bottom of the page.
http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dn...mation_id=11980&type&syndicate=syndicate

Re: Another Record Harvest #861
02/21/2013 10:47 AM
02/21/2013 10:47 AM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Highest percentage of females in the overall harvest ever.

Re: Another Record Harvest #862
02/21/2013 10:51 AM
02/21/2013 10:51 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Here's a breakdown...

Antlered bucks.....46k or 34% of deer killed.
Button bucks.......16k or 12% of deer killed.

Adult does.........55k or 40% of deer killed.
Doe fawns..........19k or 14% of deer killed.

Totals

Bucks....62k or 46% of deer killed.
Does.....74k or 54% of deer killed.

Total for antlered vs antlerless...

Antlered....34%
Antlerless..66%

2/1 margin.

Re: Another Record Harvest #863
02/21/2013 11:02 AM
02/21/2013 11:02 AM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
traditionalarcher17 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
traditionalarcher17  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
From the input I got from asking around Ive heard from people they harvested fewer deer this year. I know the group I hunt with was lower, myself included and seemed to be a standard answer I recieved from other hunters, but here we are again with a record harvest. Just doesnt seem right how we are always killing more deer, but statistcs say we lose more hunters every year.

Re: Another Record Harvest #864
02/21/2013 11:14 AM
02/21/2013 11:14 AM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
From the input I got from asking around Ive heard from people they harvested fewer deer this year. I know the group I hunt with was lower, myself included and seemed to be a standard answer I recieved from other hunters, but here we are again with a record harvest. Just doesnt seem right how we are always killing more deer, but statistcs say we lose more hunters every year.
Gun buck harvest was down 7629 deer this is probably why a lot of hunters thought it would be a down year. The muzzleloader harvest was also down 7195 deer which may be another reason they thought it was down. The addition of crossbows and the antlerless seasons made a huge difference.

Quick break down

Youth +1278

Archery +8286

Gun -5230

Muzzleloader -7195

Late Antlerless +10091

Total +7230

Re: Another Record Harvest #865
02/21/2013 11:24 AM
02/21/2013 11:24 AM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
With crossbow added I expected the harvest of gun and muzz to be down. But didnt think itd be down that much.

Re: Another Record Harvest #866
02/21/2013 11:36 AM
02/21/2013 11:36 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Appears to me that the gun and muzzy hunters took their does predominantly in the late antlerless season.......after they were done chasing bucks for 30+ days......and there was no ability to shoot a buck during the Late Antlerless.

Sad thing is .........they spent all those days chasing bucks, but there were fewer deer ALREADY from years past of slaughter to hunt bucks.

So then they go out in Antlerless Season and shoot +10,000 more does to "improve their situation for next year".

As expected..........Hunt the buck as long as I can (30+ days).......shoot as many does as I can when I can't hunt the buck...........watch the herd continue to drastically shrink...........and add more weapons and longer seasons to make things "better".........

........and continue to listen to "Joe Six-Pack" as my compass.....

LOL!!

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: Another Record Harvest #867
02/21/2013 11:42 AM
02/21/2013 11:42 AM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Actually Dew the gun doe harvest was up. The archery doe harvest was up also. So any assumption you made about who did what and when needs to be investigated a little more thoroughly.

Re: Another Record Harvest #868
02/21/2013 11:48 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
There was only one day during the firearms season when there were more antlered deer taken than antlerless deer...and that was the 3rd day and we're talking about 460 more antlered deer on that one day.

Firearms season.....

Antlered deer.....29K
Antlerless deer...43K

For the first 2 days of the firearm season...

Antlered deer....17K
Antlerless deer..19K

For the last 14 days of the firearms season...

Antlered deer......12k
Antlerless deer....24k

Muzzleloader season....

Antlered deer.....3k
Antlerless deer...9k

Doesn't seem to me that firearms/muzzleloader hunters were waiting too long to kill antlerless deer.

As far as the late antlerless numbers go....There were 10k deer killed then and the total harvest was up 7k......I'd say that accounts for the additional antlerless deer killed.

Re: Another Record Harvest #869
Greenwood, Indiana
T
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
Does it list harvests by weeks? I believe atleast 40% of gun harvests if not more are brown and down guys done by first weekend.

Re: Another Record Harvest #870
02/21/2013 11:51 AM
02/21/2013 11:51 AM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
It does have a daily breakdown for gun season. It does not break down the other seasons.

Re: Another Record Harvest #871
02/21/2013 12:07 PM
02/21/2013 12:07 PM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
Also...pretty impressive the amount checked in online.....i imagine that % will continue to go up! Should be an excellent resource for accurate data on deer harvest!

Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping is where it's @!!!!!
Re: Another Record Harvest #872
02/21/2013 12:37 PM
02/21/2013 12:37 PM
Central Indiana
C
cedarthicket Offline
Hoosier Hunter
cedarthicket  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Central Indiana
Regarding harvests by equipment type -- archery (vertical bow) and crossbow:

From 2012 Deer Harvest Summary:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2012_Deer_Season_Summary.pdf

“Harvest by equipment type is illustrated in Figure 8. Shotgun harvest decreased 5% from 2011, while muzzleloader decreased 12%. Harvest by archery and handguns were nearly equal to 2011, while reported harvest by crossbow and rifle increased 675% and 49% from 2011, respectively (Table 3). This was the first year that crossbows were allowed to be used throughout the archery season without restriction, facilitating the rapid increase in use in 2012.”

PERSONAL NOTE: If I am reading this correctly, IDNR harvest data attributed to archery equipment does NOT include crossbows. In other words, using data from Table 3, the harvest with vertical bows actually increased somewhat (from 26,715 in 2011 to 27,580 in 2012). However, because this was the first year of inclusion of crossbows in all of archery season without restriction, one should be very cautious in speculating about future archery (vertical bow) and crossbow harvests.

May all our hunts be safe, enjoyable, and deeply appreciated.
Re: Another Record Harvest #873
02/21/2013 12:39 PM
02/21/2013 12:39 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by jjas:

Doesn't seem to me that firearms/muzzleloader hunters were waiting too long to kill antlerless deer.....
Would be interesting to see those hunters that did NOT tag a buck in the gun or muzzy season....if they also took does during the gun or muzzy season.........

........or if they waited till the late antlerless to take their does.

No question.....there are antlerless deer taken during the gun and muzzy season......but are they predominantly from those that have already taken their buck?

The other piece of data that I'd love to see is the # of hunters that get their buck in this state..........and simply quit hunting any more deer at all. One buck......and done.

Raw #'s are interesting.......but the stats "within" the stats are the more TELLING information.

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #874
02/21/2013 12:40 PM
02/21/2013 12:40 PM
Angola
DEC Offline
Hoosier Hunter
DEC  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Angola
Our DNR, our seasons, and our weekend warrior hunting mentality in this state is a JOKE.

Kill 'em all!!!

Here is the statistic that I find disgusting and sad. In this new "antlerless season" (a doe intended season) 1,778 bucks died. That tells me one of two things. 1) hunters don't care what they shoot so long as it is dead and/or 2) many hunters are too stupid to properly ID their target before they shoot. Simply pathetic.

I sat out the entire firearm season, all but one day of the m.l. season, and all of this special season. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look around and see what is going on in the woods and to know when to say when. Too much pressure. Too much kill kill kill mentality running around these days.

Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!
Re: Another Record Harvest #875
02/21/2013 12:45 PM
02/21/2013 12:45 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Originally posted by Scarlett Dew:
[b]
Doesn't seem to me that firearms/muzzleloader hunters were waiting too long to kill antlerless deer.....
No question.....there are antlerless deer taken during the gun and muzzy season......but are they predominantly from those that have already taken their buck?

The other piece of data that I'd love to see is the # of hunters that get their buck in this state..........and simply quit hunting any more deer at all. One buck......and done. [/b]
Doesn't seem likely that both things can happen. If the majority of does are killed by hunters that have killed bucks I don't think the majority of hunters can stop hunting after killing their buck. These has to be especially true since there are more does than bucks killed.

Re: Another Record Harvest #876
02/21/2013 12:48 PM
02/21/2013 12:48 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b]
Would be interesting to see those hunters that did NOT tag a buck in the gun or muzzy season....if they also took does during the gun or muzzy season.........

........or if they waited till the late antlerless to take their does.

The other piece of data that I'd love to see is the # of hunters that get their buck in this state..........and simply quit hunting any more deer at all. One buck......and done.

Raw #'s are interesting.......but the stats "within" the stats are the more TELLING information. [/b]
In the end, antlerless deer accounted for 66% of the total deer killed and I would imagine the DNR is happy with those percentages.

As to your original point that gun/muzzleloader hunters are waiting too long to kill does....where in the published data is your point supported?

Re: Another Record Harvest #877
02/21/2013 01:06 PM
02/21/2013 01:06 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
As to your original point that gun/muzzleloader hunters are waiting too long to kill does....where in the published data is your point supported?
Woody......that is the point of my second post. There is data INSIDE the data that could give us more answers. Just because it isn't "published"......doesn't make it "points not worth pondering or discovering"........

........unless that would reveal something that you would not want others to see, or want them to consider as it relates to hunter behavior trends.

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #878
02/21/2013 01:14 PM
02/21/2013 01:14 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by js2397:
Doesn't seem likely that both things can happen. If the majority of does are killed by hunters that have killed bucks I don't think the majority of hunters can stop hunting after killing their buck. These has to be especially true since there are more does than bucks killed.
I would agree if the doe quotas were 1 or 2 does per county per hunter..........but with 4 - 8 does per hunter, and take them in as many counties as you want......jeeezus, out of 10 successful buck hunters....... you could have one hunter that shot his buck, and then shoots 10+ does, while 9 other successful buck hunters could stop hunting but make it appear statistically that all 10 successful buck hunters also took a doe............all due to one guy that went "doe crazy" as we can do in this state.

That is my point...........these #'s don't tell us SQWAAATTTT about hunter behavior.......and there are obviously those that DO NOT want that uncovered!!

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #879
02/21/2013 01:19 PM
02/21/2013 01:19 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Looks like the bundle made a difference.

Gun -46192

Archery -27416

Muzzleloader -16073

Antlerless -40884

Total -76856

If you count the bundle as 3 tags then it is a difference of +36356 tags sold this year.

Re: Another Record Harvest #880
02/21/2013 01:35 PM
02/21/2013 01:35 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b] As to your original point that gun/muzzleloader hunters are waiting too long to kill does....where in the published data is your point supported?
Woody......that is the point of my second post. There is data INSIDE the data that could give us more answers. Just because it isn't "published"......doesn't make it "points not worth pondering or discovering"........

........unless that would reveal something that you would not want others to see, or want them to consider as it relates to hunter behavior trends. [/b]
And here we go again........Why do you have to get nasty? Why do you have to call people names and try to derail yet another thread?

In the end, there were 2 antlerless deer killed for every antlered deer. What counties they came from,who killed them and when they were killed isn't in the data.

If you want more detailed information, why not just ask the DNR for it.....? :rolleyes:

Re: Another Record Harvest #881
02/21/2013 01:48 PM
02/21/2013 01:48 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

If you want more detailed information, why not just ask the DNR for it.....? :rolleyes:
I would have never thought of that.....LOL!!

Just making a point......."if it's not published", as you typed.......does not mean it's a "dead end" for more information inside the data.

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #882
02/21/2013 02:06 PM
02/21/2013 02:06 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b]
I would have never thought of that.....LOL!!

Just making a point......."if it's not published", as you typed.......does not mean it's a "dead end" for more information inside the data. [/b]
So then quit calling people names, being nasty and trying to derail yet another thread and just call the DNR and request more details....

But in the end....the antlerless deer killed are going to be reported killed from the counties with high quotas and whether Tom from Washington County killed 8 does on his land and Joe in Washington County killed 0 on his ground means what? Do you expect the DNR to set antlerless quotas for each piece of private ground in every county?

The bottom line is this report shows 2/3 of the deer killed this past season were antlerless deer and killing more antlerless deer was the DNR's goal...wasn't it?

Re: Another Record Harvest #883
02/21/2013 02:19 PM
02/21/2013 02:19 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
So then quit calling people names, being nasty and trying to derail yet another thread
Please copy and paste where I was calling people names, and being nasty to derail this thread.

Or is this the same tactic you use when YOU want good questions and good points to ponder to look like something they are NOT.

And who is then derailing the thread........???

Lemmeee tell ya somethin' Woody.......you don't like it we know jjas is Woody here on this Forum. Yep...eats you to the absolute core. Not only does it cast light on you what you do......but it also casts light that you post to yourself on your own Forum as jjas to help "shore up" some idea or logic you need some "help" on......so in comes Woody, posting as jjas...... even on your own site to "shore up the wall".

If you don't like your handle here as jjas.....then for God's sake just change it to Woody.

But don't throw "dung" on those that simply post the truth here that drives you nuts.

There has been NO name calling on my end........there has been no "nastiness"........there simply has been concepts tossed out you don't like others to consider, or identity thrown out you don't want them to know.

Difficult to "derail" the truth Woody......Please stay on topic, Please quit throwing dung on others as you cloak yourself with an "alias" identity........and stick to the friggin topic.

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #884
02/21/2013 02:24 PM
02/21/2013 02:24 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
The bottom line is this report shows 2/3 of the deer killed this past season were antlerless deer and killing more antlerless deer was the DNR's goal...wasn't it?
Bottom line shows that we have been on a free fall in deer population before this year.......our buck #'s show it.....The IDNR even admits it in this current press release........

.........and I know EXACTLY where this is headed for future regs. cool laugh cool

No skin off my teeth when those new regs come out to make up for our SEVERELY cut to the bone deer population is at that point.........we will THEN have what I/we/alot of us want. wink

........and you'll still have what you wanted........The Crossbow.

Just remember that, when that day comes. wink

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #885
02/21/2013 02:29 PM
02/21/2013 02:29 PM
Jennings County
A
APIbowhunter Offline
APIbowhunter  Offline
A
Jennings County
I wonder if the new check in system had much to do with the numbers being up?

I know several people in the past that killed deer in the evening during early archery and by the time they recovered it all check in stations were closed and since it is hot early season they just skinned them out and put them in the freezer.

Re: Another Record Harvest #886
02/21/2013 02:44 PM
02/21/2013 02:44 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
[b] The bottom line is this report shows 2/3 of the deer killed this past season were antlerless deer and killing more antlerless deer was the DNR's goal...wasn't it?
Bottom line shows that we have been on a free fall in deer population before this year.......our buck #'s show it.....The IDNR even admits it in this current press release........

.........and I know EXACTLY where this is headed for future regs. cool laugh cool

No skin off my teeth when those new regs come out to make up for our SEVERELY cut to the bone deer population is at that point.........we will THEN have what I/we/alot of us want. wink

........and you'll still have what you wanted........The Crossbow.

Just remember that, when that day comes. wink [/b]
I know I fear the day when our regs are closer to proposal 1. According to those that supported it they said it would reduce the deer herd far more effectively than proposal 2. If the numbers drop and they bring back prop 1 the deer will be extinct.

Re: Another Record Harvest #887
02/21/2013 03:10 PM
02/21/2013 03:10 PM
Hamilton County
DFA Offline
Hoosier Hunter
DFA  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County
Dnr and kill more reduce herd is simple idiocracy

Consistent luck is nothing more than hard work and preparation.
Re: Another Record Harvest #888
02/21/2013 03:17 PM
02/21/2013 03:17 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Here's my thought. Instead of what is surely to become an insane bashing of the DNR, why don't a few guys get their thoughts together, request a meeting with their various district biologists on a week night and sit down and talk about the deer numbers in your district, asking them to work with downtown Indi to the issue of deer herd size. Or, even better, spend time for a meeting with your legislator.

On another note, I would like to request that unless folks can prove that someone is someone specific under their "name" used on the site, we refrain from accusing someone to be a specific person. I don't really know who is who, except for a few people, but as soon as stuff starts getting a little heated on a thread, someone always starts calling someone else a specific person without regard to it being true or not.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Another Record Harvest #889
02/21/2013 03:22 PM
02/21/2013 03:22 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b] So then quit calling people names, being nasty and trying to derail yet another thread
Please copy and paste where I was calling people names, and being nasty to derail this thread.

Or is this the same tactic you use when YOU want good questions and good points to ponder to look like something they are NOT.

And who is then derailing the thread........???

Lemmeee tell ya somethin' Woody.......you don't like it we know jjas is Woody here on this Forum. Yep...eats you to the absolute core. Not only does it cast light on you what you do......but it also casts light that you post to yourself on your own Forum as jjas to help "shore up" some idea or logic you need some "help" on......so in comes Woody, posting as jjas...... even on your own site to "shore up the wall".

If you don't like your handle here as jjas.....then for God's sake just change it to Woody.

But don't throw "dung" on those that simply post the truth here that drives you nuts.

There has been NO name calling on my end........there has been no "nastiness"........there simply has been concepts tossed out you don't like others to consider, or identity thrown out you don't want them to know.

Difficult to "derail" the truth Woody......Please stay on topic, Please quit throwing dung on others as you cloak yourself with an "alias" identity........and stick to the friggin topic. [/b]
This "Woody" stuff has gotten old and is just another excuse for you to derail yet another thread.

And if you actually think that I am "Woody" and would go to all the trouble of posting over 450 posts on his site under jjas, just to try and throw you off the trail you really need to think that through......

Re: Another Record Harvest #890
02/21/2013 03:24 PM
02/21/2013 03:24 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
As mentioned in my previous thread, lets leave the name Woody out of the conversation regardless of who is who unless someone starts posting under "Woody".

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Another Record Harvest #891
02/21/2013 03:27 PM
02/21/2013 03:27 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by delaney:
As mentioned in my previous thread, lets leave the name Woody out of the conversation regardless of who is who unless someone starts posting under "Woody".
Thank you very much.

Re: Another Record Harvest #892
02/21/2013 03:31 PM
02/21/2013 03:31 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
js2397
I know I fear the day when our regs are closer to proposal 1. According to those that supported it they said it would reduce the deer herd far more effectively than proposal 2. If the numbers drop and they bring back prop 1 the deer will be extinct.
I would hope that the DNR looks @ each county and if the kill numbers are dropping from year to year would lower the bonus quota permits for those counties the next season.

Re: Another Record Harvest #893
02/21/2013 03:38 PM
02/21/2013 03:38 PM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
Ask around if ya wanna know what hunters do after they shoot their bucks

Re: Another Record Harvest #894
02/21/2013 03:39 PM
02/21/2013 03:39 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Probably a good idea..... He rolled on the Forum floor a few months ago and threw a tantrum about this when one of the Mods here exposed him (jjas) and his true identity here.

No sense seeing/ watching him do that all over again.

Good call Delany.....or is it Hanes...... J/K... smile

Site Administrator

Re: Another Record Harvest #895
02/21/2013 03:44 PM
02/21/2013 03:44 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Hanes on my Iphone and delaney on the computer. Can't remember all my passwords so sometimes it's easier to have separate logins.

Re: Another Record Harvest #896
02/21/2013 03:46 PM
02/21/2013 03:46 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
Ask around if ya wanna know what hunters do after they shoot their bucks
What do they do?

Re: Another Record Harvest #897
02/21/2013 03:50 PM
02/21/2013 03:50 PM
indianapolis
S
SHINGLE MONKEY Offline
Indianashooter.com
SHINGLE MONKEY  Offline
Indianashooter.com
S
indianapolis
What, more deer killed this year than last?

SO the herd is continuing to grow?

Indianashooter.com
Re: Another Record Harvest #898
02/21/2013 03:54 PM
02/21/2013 03:54 PM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
Well I'm a service tech for a cable company and atleast once a week ill go into a house and the customer will say they hunt. Most of the time I'd say atleast 70% of the people I talk to go and are brown and down guys who honestly wouldn't know the difference between a 100 inch deer and 160 inch deer but that's just a small amount of people I talk to, but when I worked at the two sporting goods store I did for a few years there are a lot of "hunters" who honestly go out there with a case of beer hoping to shoot a deer. That honestly disgusts me I respect the animals I pursue and put effort into every aspect of hunting them. To each his own I guess but I don't respect those guys. Not saying ony the way I hunt is right but some guys out there are just clueless. For me our herd can handle it so we try to take three does for every buck taken.

Re: Another Record Harvest #899
02/21/2013 04:32 PM
02/21/2013 04:32 PM
Mt. Pleasant, In.
ParkerBow Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ParkerBow  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Mt. Pleasant, In.
Have any of you ever watched the Woody Woodpecker show?? OOPs my bad, I used the name Woody on here. Sorry if that offended anyone. laugh

Re: Another Record Harvest #900
02/21/2013 04:37 PM
02/21/2013 04:37 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Originally posted by ParkerBow:
Have any of you ever watched the Woody Woodpecker show?? OOPs my bad, I used the name Woody on here. Sorry if that offended anyone. laugh
Yes I did when I was a kid and loved it.... Wished I could find it on TV and I would watch it again....

Re: Another Record Harvest #901
02/21/2013 06:10 PM
02/21/2013 06:10 PM
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Originally posted by SHINGLE MONKEY:
What, more deer killed this year than last?

SO the herd is continuing to grow?
No its not. Its getting smaller. Our DNR's model is based off of antlered deer harvest. They stated it was the lowest since 2000, indicating a shrinking herd. This year, you really can't use the overall numbers as an indicator with all the extra seasons, and weapons. How they REACT to the numbers, and adjust the bonus permits in individual counties will be interesting to see.

Re: Another Record Harvest #902
02/21/2013 07:09 PM
02/21/2013 07:09 PM
Winchester, IN
R
RedLab Offline
Hoosier Hunter
RedLab  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
R
Winchester, IN
Does anyone have numbers from the counties of the numbers of deer /car accidents. I usually hear about several each year but none this year.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
Re: Another Record Harvest #903
02/21/2013 10:24 PM
02/21/2013 10:24 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
My county, Porter, was down 80 bucks as compared to 2011, and of course the Doe kill was up as I predicted it would be, but that is 'cause of the new late antlerless and crossguns and now the whole county is "urban"(still cant figure that one out)....with one person being able to kill 16 deer there is no place to go but down in herd numbers....just wait a handful of years and the damage will have been done...the population isnt growing, hunters are just able to kill more with various weapons and seasons and soon will hit rock bottom if they dont back off on their own 'cause I dont see the DNR doing it, not until the numbers drop to record low levels....

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Another Record Harvest #904
02/22/2013 08:02 AM
02/22/2013 08:02 AM
Atlanta, IN, USA
jkd Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jkd  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Administrator
Atlanta, IN, USA
Saw 4 does opening day of gun. Never saw them again until all seasons were over. Never saw any bucks in daylight entire season. Never had a shot opportunity. No deer taken by me, two buddies that hunted with me, or guy hunting the adjacent property.

Guys I know who hunt the Deming and Sheridan areas had basically the same type of season.

Yet Hamilton County's bonus number has been pushed from 2 to 3 to 4 during the past several years.

Starting to remind me of the 70's... when you never saw any deer at all....

Member of The Great White Tail Hunters - highly skilled, dedicated firearms whitetail hunter, and proud of it...
Re: Another Record Harvest #905
02/22/2013 09:12 AM
02/22/2013 09:12 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by jkd:
Saw 4 does opening day of gun. Never saw them again until all seasons were over. Never saw any bucks in daylight entire season. Never had a shot opportunity. No deer taken by me, two buddies that hunted with me, or guy hunting the adjacent property.

Guys I know who hunt the Deming and Sheridan areas had basically the same type of season.

Yet Hamilton County's bonus number has been pushed from 2 to 3 to 4 during the past several years.

Starting to remind me of the 70's... when you never saw any deer at all....
I primarily hunt in Washington and Orange counties. I saw quite a few deer this year but based on the kill data from 2011 & 2012 there were substantially more antlerless deer killed in both of these counties in 2012.

Washington County....8 bonus
Antlered kills up less than 1% +5
Antlerless kills up 17% +284

Orange County....4 bonus
Antlered kills down 10% -83
Antlerless kills up 20% +250

Does anyone know how the DNR decides what bonus number to assign a county? And what does it take to lower that bonus number?

Re: Another Record Harvest #906
02/22/2013 09:27 AM
02/22/2013 09:27 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Complaints from farmers and accident reports and Ive heard say some input from the local CO's and region biologist....Heck, the only time the regions biologist was around here was back during the deer wars of the late '90's and early 2000's when he visited Beverly Shores....and to lower the #'s I have no Idea...do they really backtrack on the bonus numbers ??

Re: Another Record Harvest #907
02/22/2013 10:18 AM
02/22/2013 10:18 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
Complaints from farmers and accident reports and Ive heard say some input from the local CO's and region biologist....Heck, the only time the regions biologist was around here was back during the deer wars of the late '90's and early 2000's when he visited Beverly Shores....and to lower the #'s I have no Idea...do they really backtrack on the bonus numbers ??
I can't think of counties that were lowered...but I can't say with absolute certainty that it's never happened.

I know the DNR wanted to lower herd numbers and as noted by the kill numbers it's obviously working.

Re: Another Record Harvest #908
02/22/2013 10:31 AM
02/22/2013 10:31 AM
indianapolis
S
SHINGLE MONKEY Offline
Indianashooter.com
SHINGLE MONKEY  Offline
Indianashooter.com
S
indianapolis
You guys do realize that some hunters actually hunt to eat and not care about horns right?

I killed 3 does and a buck this year and 3 more does were taken off the property.....those 7 deer are feeding several families.

Indianashooter.com
Re: Another Record Harvest #909
02/22/2013 11:39 AM
02/22/2013 11:39 AM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
Take into consideration this year the DNR offered the bundle license of 1 buck and 2 doe. Guys buying this bundle arent going to eat a tag. In years past many bought a buck tag and one anterless tag and only took two deer. I think the increased anterless numbers are due to the additional anterless tag in the bundle tag. h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: Another Record Harvest #910
02/22/2013 11:53 AM
02/22/2013 11:53 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by SHINGLE MONKEY:
You guys do realize that some hunters actually hunt to eat and not care about horns right?

I killed 3 does and a buck this year and 3 more does were taken off the property.....those 7 deer are feeding several families.
Of course I realize that many hunters hunt primarily for the meat and I totally appreciate that.

Having said that, my curiosity over the number of bonus doe tags is based on not knowing how the numbers are set, and @ what point those numbers are lowered.

Congrats on your season.

Re: Another Record Harvest #911
02/22/2013 04:18 PM
02/22/2013 04:18 PM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
[b] Complaints from farmers and accident reports and Ive heard say some input from the local CO's and region biologist....Heck, the only time the regions biologist was around here was back during the deer wars of the late '90's and early 2000's when he visited Beverly Shores....and to lower the #'s I have no Idea...do they really backtrack on the bonus numbers ??
I can't think of counties that were lowered...but I can't say with absolute certainty that it's never happened.

I know the DNR wanted to lower herd numbers and as noted by the kill numbers it's obviously working. [/b]
Pike county went from an 8 to a 3 after the 06 EHD outbreak. Still a 3 as of now thank God.

Blackoak
Lazy Moron Dirtbag X-bow user
Re: Another Record Harvest #912
02/22/2013 10:51 PM
02/22/2013 10:51 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
From the NWI Times(nwi.com)2-22-12 : Mitch Marcus a spokesman from DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife said, Harvest numbers show the new regulations are working with the Harvest numbers up 6 percent over 2011. Much of the increase has been with crossbows and Youth hunters. Despite the record harvest, deer numbers are down across the state. He said the number of antlered deer for the 2012 season is the lowest since 2000. Chad Stewart a deer management biologist for the DNR said that the lower buck kill shows the herd is smaller. ........

Re: Another Record Harvest #913
02/23/2013 10:27 AM
02/23/2013 10:27 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Suppose to be 2-22-13...still living in the past ;0) ....

Re: Another Record Harvest #914
02/24/2013 05:21 AM
02/24/2013 05:21 AM
Hamilton County
DFA Offline
Hoosier Hunter
DFA  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County
Dumb! All of it. Numbers falling and kill rising, don't need 4 semesters of engineering calculus to figure that one out...

Re: Another Record Harvest #915
02/24/2013 06:07 AM
02/24/2013 06:07 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
The DNR got a record harvest and a record book number one Deer...... eek

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Another Record Harvest #916
02/24/2013 07:02 AM
02/24/2013 07:02 AM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
Has the DNR ever bought and filled anyone's tags for them? Just curious seeing a lot of complaints about low numbers but ultimately it's up to us. I know they've never pulled the trigger for me or managed te property I hunt for me. Myself and the few others people I hunt with are in charge of our property mgt plan, not the DNR.

Re: Another Record Harvest #917
02/24/2013 08:43 AM
02/24/2013 08:43 AM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
Yep Trad, that is THE point

Re: Another Record Harvest #918
02/24/2013 11:03 AM
02/24/2013 11:03 AM
Hamilton County
DFA Offline
Hoosier Hunter
DFA  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County
Yea trad and Hanes may as well just open it yr round. Won't matter if ya manage your own property will it?

Tongue in cheek but ya see my point.

Re: Another Record Harvest #919
02/24/2013 12:22 PM
02/24/2013 12:22 PM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
The difference is if you open year round the deer eventfully will will have sustainability issues. With the current seasons it doesn't yet appear that the resource is in jeopardy.

Re: Another Record Harvest #920
02/24/2013 01:44 PM
02/24/2013 01:44 PM
Indiana,Marshall county
D
Drake the dog Offline
Drake the dog  Offline
D
Indiana,Marshall county
I find it hard to believe the harvest numbers.I am 58 years old and have hunted every year from the time I was 13.The past two years I did not bother to buy a gun tag.This past archery season I saw only 6 deer.

Drake
Re: Another Record Harvest #921
02/24/2013 03:42 PM
02/24/2013 03:42 PM
Mt. Pleasant, In.
ParkerBow Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ParkerBow  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Mt. Pleasant, In.
I tell you what, I have a hard time believing the numbers. Almost all the people i talked to seen way less deer and harvested less deer in 2012 then they have in a long time. I still say it is either feast or famine. Many public land areas are really getting hit hard while private land is being managed and there are tons of deer. The deer quotas on public land needs to be addressed.

Re: Another Record Harvest #922
02/26/2013 01:03 PM
02/26/2013 01:03 PM
Mooresville,in.usa
M
maddogmech Offline
Hoosier Hunter
maddogmech  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
M
Mooresville,in.usa
Im with you Parker they dont add up. I hunt private woods in one of the best counties there is both land owners to the north and south wrk to keep the #'s as close to being right. EHD hit hard again, even if some dont want to admit it.And the antlerless # are out of wack.

Re: Another Record Harvest #923
03/05/2013 11:46 AM
03/05/2013 11:46 AM
Crawfordsville
H
Hunter Dan Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hunter Dan  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Crawfordsville
Aren't we going to show an "increase" just by adding the new antlerless season? Logic tells me that if you increase the number of days people can hunt, there are going to be more deer killed than the year before... Duh!

We need less gun slaughter!!! I keep very detailed records and my number of deer sightings while hunting just continues to go down and down each year.

Just waiting for someone to say that the new WORLD RECORD was just killed in Indiana, therefore everything is perfect. I don't agree...

Hunter Dan - Connecting Kids to the Outdoors!
Re: Another Record Harvest #924
03/05/2013 01:53 PM
03/05/2013 01:53 PM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
to those that think a declining herd wont affect them because they have x acres under lease and can control the harvest on their land...I remind you. Mother Nature hates a vaccuum. Deer will disperse from your property and go to areas of lesser density, no matter how good your ground is wink

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Another Record Harvest #925
03/05/2013 04:58 PM
03/05/2013 04:58 PM
Indiana
H
Hunt N Nut Offline
Hunt N Nut  Offline
H
Indiana
Originally posted by trapperDave:
to those that think a declining herd wont affect them because they have x acres under lease and can control the harvest on their land...I remind you. Mother Nature hates a vaccuum. Deer will disperse from your property and go to areas of lesser density, no matter how good your ground is wink
Not true. As proved by, among other things, the overcrowding in state parks to the point of malnutrition and the healthy herds just down the road.

Re: Another Record Harvest #926
03/05/2013 10:08 PM
03/05/2013 10:08 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Studies show once an area is shot out, deer do not fill in the void for some time....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance