76chevy Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Two teens hurt, one missing in Blue River Dam

Updated: Jun 06, 2014 5:59 PM EST
By David MacAnally - bio | email
EDINBURGH, Ind. - Divers are searching a body of water in Edinburgh after a report of a missing person in the water.

The Department of Natural Resources divers are at the Blue River Dam in Edinburgh. Officers say five teenagers were swimming near a low-head dam when one of them was swept over the dam. Two of the other teenagers in the group tried to help, but were caught in turbulent water at the base of the dam.

"I saw two bodies float downstream," said Roberts Jessie who heard calls for help in his shop coming from the river. "He had a hold of the girl and one of his friends had already gotten out and gotten a hold of the other person who was ahead of the girl downstream a little ways."

Two other victims were taken to the hospital after being pulled unresponsive from the water. Passersby performed CPR on the teens until medics could arrive. They were transported to Johnson Memorial Hospital before being flown via Lifeline to IU Health Methodist Hospital.

"It took two of us to pull him out of the water. His buddy was standing there holding him and the current was trying to pull them into the water. They were not responding to CPR. Couldn't get them to breathe, no pulse or anything," said Christopher Lloyd who pitched in to help.

Officers believe the third victim is still in the water and crews are conducting searches of the water and shore looking for signs of the missing teenager.

Police have not yet released the identities of the teenagers. All of the teens were students at Franklin Community High School. A vigil will be held at the high school's football field at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The other two teenagers were able to get out of the water unharmed.

Rescue crews called it a painful lesson for all Hoosiers not go near falls - swimming or in a boat. The hydraulics created in those areas are simply too dangerous.

Re: Dangers of lowhead dams- Two teens hurt, one missing in Blue River Dam #47889
06/06/2014 02:49 PM
06/06/2014 02:49 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
stay safe when fishing and canoeing guys, they call these low head dams 'drowning machines' for a reason!

http://fishandboat.com/damlow_info.htm

Re: Dangers of lowhead dams- Two teens hurt, one missing in Blue River Dam #47890
06/07/2014 04:51 AM
06/07/2014 04:51 AM
Randolph County
M
Magnum hunter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Magnum hunter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
M
Randolph County
I heard about that...yeah...stay safe around that stuff

"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."
Re: Dangers of lowhead dams- Two teens hurt, one missing in Blue River Dam #47891
06/09/2014 05:56 PM
06/09/2014 05:56 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Video is a bit dated, but info is still relevant and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJb_oqdDPg

Re: Dangers of lowhead dams- Two teens hurt, one missing in Blue River Dam #47892
06/10/2014 02:20 PM
06/10/2014 02:20 PM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
When I was on the Volunteer Fire Department I served on the Dive/Water Rescue Team and was glad that we didn't have any of those low water dams in our area. Those things are more dangerous than most people think. They don't look too bad but if you go over the top and get caught up in the hydrolytics you can drown easily. The water pressure never stops and you can't get out.

We watched some training films that showed some people and their rescuers drowning in such a low water dam situation. It was all caught on video and shown to other dive teams for training purposes. I had a healthy respect for those things.

I also saw the story about the four guys and the girl that got caught up in a low water **** up by Franklin, IN. Very sad ending. I was surprise that they sent divers into the water below the **** to recover the body. I don't think I would have dove into that water at all.

We were taught to use a rope Parallel to the dam to use to control a boat for rescue situations. Also if any boat approached the dam from down stream they had to be tied of to something solid down stream to keep them from being pulled up into the ****'s hydrolics. The water reverses direction right below the dam as the water plunging over the dams downstream face pulls water towards that area. It can suck a boat up into the water falling over the top of the dam and flood the rescue boat. Very dangerous situation IMHO.

Originally posted by 76chevy:
Two teens hurt, one missing in Blue River Dam

Updated: Jun 06, 2014 5:59 PM EST
By David MacAnally - bio | email
EDINBURGH, Ind. - Divers are searching a body of water in Edinburgh after a report of a missing person in the water.

The Department of Natural Resources divers are at the Blue River Dam in Edinburgh. Officers say five teenagers were swimming near a low-head dam when one of them was swept over the dam. Two of the other teenagers in the group tried to help, but were caught in turbulent water at the base of the dam.

"I saw two bodies float downstream," said Roberts Jessie who heard calls for help in his shop coming from the river. "He had a hold of the girl and one of his friends had already gotten out and gotten a hold of the other person who was ahead of the girl downstream a little ways."

Two other victims were taken to the hospital after being pulled unresponsive from the water. Passersby performed CPR on the teens until medics could arrive. They were transported to Johnson Memorial Hospital before being flown via Lifeline to IU Health Methodist Hospital.

"It took two of us to pull him out of the water. His buddy was standing there holding him and the current was trying to pull them into the water. They were not responding to CPR. Couldn't get them to breathe, no pulse or anything," said Christopher Lloyd who pitched in to help.

Officers believe the third victim is still in the water and crews are conducting searches of the water and shore looking for signs of the missing teenager.

Police have not yet released the identities of the teenagers. All of the teens were students at Franklin Community High School. A vigil will be held at the high school's football field at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The other two teenagers were able to get out of the water unharmed.

Rescue crews called it a painful lesson for all Hoosiers not go near falls - swimming or in a boat. The hydraulics created in those areas are simply too dangerous.

Regards,

Moose1am

Moderated by  BowBo, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,662
Posts49,833
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance