Parke County
B
bassbum Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
bassbum  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
B
Parke County
Some of you might know this man. Sounds lucky he was able to tell his story. This was pulled off of the Hoosier trapper facebook page.

Hoosier Trapper Outdoors

Hey everyone im finally able to let everyone know what happened tuesday. I hunted out of my climber till 11 then went to jeep to eat lunch leaving camera and stand in tree. After lunch i decided to go to other stand a mile and a half away from where jeep is parked so i could conceal a lockon stand i had up between a huge cornfield and a woodlot. I rode my atv to that spot, cut a few limbs to use as cover, and i tied those limbs to my pull up rope. I climbed up stand, pulled limbs up and i sat on the base of the stand and place my right foot on a 10 in limb coming out of tree so i could tie one of the limbs i cut to it. Ive sat in this tree for 10 yrs and didnt know that limb was dead. With my foot on the limb i shifted a lil but if my weight to it snd it broke and i fell heD first to the ground landing on my right side. I new i hurt bad when i couldnt breathe. I sat up on my but and immediately got dizzy and passd out. I kept myself awkw and crawled to my atv and ride it back to rode. (I left my cell phone in my jeep.) luckily hor me the county hwy dept was cutting limbs on the road and i rode to them and they called 911. They then went and retrieved my camera, crossbow , and stAnd and loaded it and my stv up for me. Once in the ambulance we stopped in brlleville and met w another ambulance to pick up a trauma nurse and they then took me to methodist in indy. Once there they determinrmed i had 12 broken ribs, punctured and collapsed lung and a shattered collar bone. Im still in hospital today with a tube in my chest draining fluid out of mu chest cavity. I might get to go home sunday. There is nothing they can do for my broken bones. A safety harness would have prevented this from happening. God was definately looking out for me that day because i shouldnt be alive today. This is life changing ! I hope my misfortune encourages you to use a safety harness! Im gonna use my story to promote safe tree stand hunting to everyone i can. Thanks for all the prayers and keep them coming, i need all of them i can get. I feel so fortunate to be alive today.ill update everyone on my condition as it changes! Thanks so much!! Calvert

69 coons
19 possuums
6 coyotes
21 muskrats
3 skunks
1 mouse
1squirrel
Re: lucky man #47868
10/12/2013 11:03 AM
10/12/2013 11:03 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
a fall resulting "only" in 12 broken ribs, a punctured and collapsed lung, shattered collar bone and a chest tube to drain fluid off his lungs is considered "Lucky"

This should tell everyone how serious these falls from heights can be.

Wear those harnesses every trip up and down the tree!

I wish a speedy recovery to Calvert.

Moderated by  BowBo, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance