P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Originally posted by jjas:
Breaking down the information in a way it hasn't (to my knowledge) been presented, shows several things.
Breaking down information can be extremely subjective. If they add an early ML season next...or maybe an air gun season...the numbers get tossed around like salad all over again.

BTW, one correction....the archery harvest did not rise, it went down a couple percentage points. Crossbows are not legal on an archery license in this state.
Crossbow harvest increased 10%.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47260
07/08/2015 12:13 PM
07/08/2015 12:13 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by pav:
[b]Breaking down the information in a way it hasn't (to my knowledge) been presented, shows several things.
Breaking down information can be extremely subjective. If they add an early ML season next...or maybe an air gun season...the numbers get tossed around like salad all over again.

BTW, one correction....the archery harvest did not rise, it went down a couple percentage points. Crossbows are not legal on an archery license in this state.
Crossbow harvest increased 10%. [/b]
But we aren't talking about something subjective here. We are talking about the harvest numbers the DNR posted in their 2014 Indiana Deer Season Summary which I posted just as they did.

And while I understand the license side of the archery vs crossbow issue, on page 7 of the summary, you will find where I pulled the data I posted from table one. And within table one you will also see where the DNR combined the archery/crossbow harvest data together. So I did as well.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2014deerharvestreport.pdf

Have a nice evening.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47261
07/09/2015 03:19 AM
07/09/2015 03:19 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
smile

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47262
07/09/2015 03:32 AM
07/09/2015 03:32 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
But we aren't talking about something subjective here. We are talking about the harvest numbers the DNR posted in their 2014 Indiana Deer Season Summary which I posted just as they did.

And while I understand the license side of the archery vs crossbow issue, on page 7 of the summary, you will find where I pulled the data I posted from table one. And within table one you will also see where the DNR combined the archery/crossbow harvest data together. So I did as well.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2014deerharvestreport.pdf

Have a nice evening.[/QUOTE]

The data may not be subjective, but how one interprets the data is absolutely subjective. For instance, I could say the 2014 harvest would have been 105,000 animals under the 2009 regs. I don't necessarily believe that to be true...but that is what the data suggests.

Regarding archery versus crossbow data...Table 3 on page 10 tells the real story. smile

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47263
07/09/2015 03:42 AM
07/09/2015 03:42 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
pav
The data may not be subjective, but how one interprets the data is absolutely subjective. For instance, I could say the 2014 harvest would have been 105,000 animals under the 2009 regs. I don't necessarily believe that to be true...but that is what the data suggests.

Regarding archery versus crossbow data...Table 3 on page 10 tells the real story.
We could "what if" the data all day by taking or adding things from it that don't exist.

And we could spit/spat all day long about whether the archery/crossbow totals should/should not be included together, but in the table I referenced the dnr did so, so I did the same.

Regardless, even if you split the data, my original point still is valid. Bowhunters are taking a larger share of the harvest while firearms hunters are taking a lower share and that's happening without moving/shortening the gun seasons and adding the late antlerless season in as well.

Have a good day.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47264
07/09/2015 03:42 PM
07/09/2015 03:42 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by js2397:
There were several that said if 2.0 passed it would just increase the number of days people used to hunt bucks and there was no way it would have the intended goal of increasing the ratio of antlerless to antlered kill and reducing the herd.
EXACTY.....

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47265
07/10/2015 03:40 AM
07/10/2015 03:40 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Regardless, even if you split the data, my original point still is valid. Bowhunters are taking a larger share of the harvest while firearms hunters are taking a lower share and that's happening without moving/shortening the gun seasons and adding the late antlerless season in as well.
In essence, all you saying is...more deer are being killed with crossbows during a 3+ month long statewide, either sex season than are being killed during a late December, non-statewide, 10 day, antlerless only firearms season.

That's quite the revelation....

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47266
07/10/2015 03:50 AM
07/10/2015 03:50 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by pav:
[b]Regardless, even if you split the data, my original point still is valid. Bowhunters are taking a larger share of the harvest while firearms hunters are taking a lower share and that's happening without moving/shortening the gun seasons and adding the late antlerless season in as well.
In essence, all you saying is...more deer are being killed with crossbows during a 3+ month long statewide, either sex season than are being killed during a late December, non-statewide, 10 day, antlerless only firearms season.

That's quite the revelation.... [/b]
I get that you see what you see, but my point has been and continues to be.....

Since 2.0 passed, Bowhunters are taking a larger share of the harvest while firearms hunters are taking a lower share and that's happening WITHOUT moving and/or shortening the present gun seasons, while ADDING a late December, non-statewide, 10 day, antlerless only firearms season.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47267
07/10/2015 04:07 AM
07/10/2015 04:07 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Why does it seem that these discussions almost always end up a weapons issue? It seems that at times the "deer" herd becomes secondary to weapons. The big picture, in my opinion, should be about how many deer are being harvested, what the average harvest per hunter is, how to limit harvest when needed and what the intended number of deer per habitat mile is targeted by the DNR. Forget the weapon issue for a while because at some point, hunting is hunting. I'm not really sure that the vast majority of hunters even acknowledge or take into any considerations this thing of "management". I believe the problem is hunter density, unwillingness to not pull the trigger or release the bow, or the vast lack of the majority of those who hunt deer to really give a crap about the deer herd except when they are wanting to shoot one.

The existing hunting organizations have become vastly ineffective in influencing anything because the game has changed with how politics and management is handled. The emerging social media organization will have a good opportunity to see if hunters can have an influence based upon the number of those who hunt deer becoming socially engaged. Now, again, no organization is going to satisfy everyone and if they get caught up in a weapons focus instead of looking at the bigger issue of harvest and herd size, they too will get drawn down into the abyss of being discounted by the agency. There are more then a few in the DNR that often have felt that we are at a point where most who are engaged year round are more focus on the weapon use issue then the status of the deer herd itself.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47268
07/10/2015 04:34 AM
07/10/2015 04:34 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by delaney:
Why does it seem that these discussions almost always end up a weapons issue? It seems that at times the "deer" herd becomes secondary to weapons. The big picture, in my opinion, should be about how many deer are being harvested, what the average harvest per hunter is, how to limit harvest when needed and what the intended number of deer per habitat mile is targeted by the DNR. Forget the weapon issue for a while because at some point, hunting is hunting. I'm not really sure that the vast majority of hunters even acknowledge or take into any considerations this thing of "management". I believe the problem is hunter density, unwillingness to not pull the trigger or release the bow, or the vast lack of the majority of those who hunt deer to really give a crap about the deer herd except when they are wanting to shoot one.

The existing hunting organizations have become vastly ineffective in influencing anything because the game has changed with how politics and management is handled. The will have a good opportunity to see if hunters can have an influence based upon the number of those who hunt deer becoming socially engaged. Now, again, no organization is going to satisfy everyone and if they get caught up in a weapons focus instead of looking at the bigger issue of harvest and herd size, they too will get drawn down into the abyss of being discounted by the agency. There are more then a few in the DNR that often have felt that we are at a point where most who are engaged year round are more focus on the weapon use issue then the status of the deer herd itself.
Dave... are you talking about "IWDHM" on FB when you say "emerging social media organization" ??? confused

If you are BEWARE ....If anyone doesn't tow there line so to say you are banned from even comment within the group!!! That's what we need Hmmm??? confused

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47269
07/10/2015 04:57 AM
07/10/2015 04:57 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Delaney
Why does it seem that these discussions almost always end up a weapons issue? It seems that at times the "deer" herd becomes secondary to weapons. The big picture, in my opinion, should be about how many deer are being harvested, what the average harvest per hunter is, how to limit harvest when needed and what the intended number of deer per habitat mile is targeted by the DNR.

I believe the problem is hunter density, unwillingness to not pull the trigger or release the bow, or the vast lack of the majority of those who hunt deer to really give a crap about the deer herd except when they are wanting to shoot one.
First of all for me, this thread isn't as much about equipment as it is, how that equipment is being used to harvest deer.

You want data? I've posted data that shows....

What percentage of hunters are killing how many deer. See page 28 of this report. http://www.responsivemanagement.com/download/reports/IN_Deer_Report.pdf

That (as a percentage of harvest) bowhunters are harvesting more deer during the season, while firearms hunters are harvesting fewer deer since the new regs were implemented.

You want data that shows hunter density? Here you go.... web pagehttps://www.qdma.com/articles/hunter-density-across-the-u.s

Indiana is listed as having 10.8 hunters per square mile, while Iowa is listed as having 0-4 per square mile while Illinois and Kentucky are shown as having 5-8 hunters per square mile.

That's a lot of hunters in Indiana, and as I've pointed out several times, even if there were ZERO bonus antlerless permits, with the present license structure, every hunter in this state could still kill 4 deer per season.

You want to know what the intended number of deer per habitat mile targeted by the DNR is?

I wish they (the DNR) would...

Give us that number, tell us where we are now, and let us when we reach that number.

As far as taking the "politics" out of the posts on the forum, I can't see a way to make that happen. There will always be hunters who favor certain pieces of equipment and see their views as correct. And that means debate is going to happen.

What I would like to see...is less tolerance for the personal attacks and foolishness that seems to crop up every, single time subjects such as those you listed above, are discussed/debated.

It might not lead to more agreement, but it would certainly lead to fewer derailed threads.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47270
07/10/2015 05:22 AM
07/10/2015 05:22 AM
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y

The existing hunting organizations have become vastly ineffective in influencing anything because the game has changed with how politics and management is handled. The emerging social media organization will have a good opportunity to see if hunters can have an influence based upon the number of those who hunt deer becoming socially engaged. Now, again, no organization is going to satisfy everyone and if they get caught up in a weapons focus instead of looking at the bigger issue of harvest and herd size, they too will get drawn down into the abyss of being discounted by the agency. There are more then a few in the DNR that often have felt that we are at a point where most who are engaged year round are more focus on the weapon use issue then the status of the deer herd itself.
And there we have it. I don't think there is a truer statement on this thread. Nobody cares about the herd……

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47271
07/10/2015 05:33 AM
07/10/2015 05:33 AM
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Delaney [QUOTE]

That's a lot of hunters in Indiana, and as I've pointed out several times, even if there were ZERO bonus antlerless permits, every hunter in this state could still kill 4 deer per season.

Glad someone else sees that. I don't pay much attention to all the stats….but I think I read that on average, a deer hunter kills less than, or right at two deer per year. And if the "average deer killed per hunter" is two or less…..WHY even have the ridiculous bonus numbers above 3 or 4….or ANY above the 4 we can kill without the bonus for that matter??? For the very small % of hunters that just like to kill deer to be killing?? We are obviously in a era of deer decline (by design). If that in fact is the case….WHO is killing all the deer????? Or is it…just maybe we don't have all the deer that the powers to be THINK we have…...

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47272
07/10/2015 05:39 AM
07/10/2015 05:39 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by Yaz:
[b]

And there we have it. I don't think there is a truer statement on this thread. Nobody cares about the herd…… [/b]
With all due respect, I think it shows the opposite.

Sure people may disagree about how to manage the herd, but if they didn't care about the deer, they wouldn't frequent these forums, or start a facebook page, or contact the DNR, NRC, the Governor and their lawmakers.

Take me for example....before a few years ago, I wasn't really involved in the debate. But now, I want my voice heard and am not satisfied with just a certain group (or groups) having the ear of the powers that be.

And with the internet, our voices not only can be heard, they can be heard in real time by those who ultimately help make the decisions...

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47273
07/10/2015 05:46 AM
07/10/2015 05:46 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by Yaz:
[b] Delaney [QUOTE]

That's a lot of hunters in Indiana, and as I've pointed out several times, even if there were ZERO bonus antlerless permits, every hunter in this state could still kill 4 deer per season.

Glad someone else sees that. I don't pay much attention to all the stats….but I think I read that on average, a deer hunter kills less than, or right at two deer per year. And if the "average deer killed per hunter" is two or less…..WHY even have the ridiculous bonus numbers above 3 or 4….or ANY above the 4 we can kill without the bonus for that matter??? For the very small % of hunters that just like to kill deer to be killing?? We are obviously in a era of deer decline (by design). If that in fact is the case….WHO is killing all the deer????? Or is it…just maybe we don't have all the deer that the powers to be THINK we have…... [/b]
According to Chad Stewart's Ten myths of deer hunting....

Indiana historically has had high antlerless
limits available to all hunters. Hunters have
been allowed to harvest eight antlerless deer
in many counties. These limits are high to
allow individuals experiencing deer problems
the opportunity to solve their problems in the
hunting season. It is not meant to be a limit
that is reached by all hunters, and it rarely is
reached. Despite high quotas in some counties,

Surveys repeatedly show the vast majority of
hunters (85 percent) take three or fewer deer,
and less than 1 percent ever take eight deer in
a season.

The chart showing this data is on page 28 of the link below...

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-MR_1034_2010_Deer_Hunter_Survey.pdf

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47274
07/10/2015 05:58 AM
07/10/2015 05:58 AM
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
jjas,

You obviously have a more positive outlook on this than I do. I have grown weary of how every single post on every single site about deer/deer numbers/proposals/etc turns into "he said-she said's", "they banned me from their site because I said this", and "its this groups fault", its "because we have allowed this weapon"……….That does not do US, as a group, of deer hunters any good. I REALLY hope you are right, and people can look down the road, and not just what's in front of their noses right now...

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47275
07/10/2015 07:10 AM
07/10/2015 07:10 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
youd have better luck hoping for world peace

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47276
07/10/2015 07:37 AM
07/10/2015 07:37 AM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
Originally posted by trapperDave:
youd have better luck hoping for world peace
Ding Ding - we have a winner.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47277
07/10/2015 02:05 PM
07/10/2015 02:05 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Originally posted by BREW...:
[b] Why does it seem that these discussions almost always end up a weapons issue? It seems that at times the "deer" herd becomes secondary to weapons. The big picture, in my opinion, should be about how many deer are being harvested, what the average harvest per hunter is, how to limit harvest when needed and what the intended number of deer per habitat mile is targeted by the DNR. Forget the weapon issue for a while because at some point, hunting is hunting. I'm not really sure that the vast majority of hunters even acknowledge or take into any considerations this thing of "management". I believe the problem is hunter density, unwillingness to not pull the trigger or release the bow, or the vast lack of the majority of those who hunt deer to really give a crap about the deer herd except when they are wanting to shoot one.

The existing hunting organizations have become vastly ineffective in influencing anything because the game has changed with how politics and management is handled. The will have a good opportunity to see if hunters can have an influence based upon the number of those who hunt deer becoming socially engaged. Now, again, no organization is going to satisfy everyone and if they get caught up in a weapons focus instead of looking at the bigger issue of harvest and herd size, they too will get drawn down into the abyss of being discounted by the agency. There are more then a few in the DNR that often have felt that we are at a point where most who are engaged year round are more focus on the weapon use issue then the status of the deer herd itself.
Dave... are you talking about "IWDHM" on FB when you say "emerging social media organization" ??? confused

If you are BEWARE ....If anyone doesn't tow there line so to say you are banned from even comment within the group!!! That's what we need Hmmm??? confused [/b]
For now, that new entity is engaging via social media. Certainly they might ban folks that don't agree but maybe that isn't all bad because at some point the arguments become pointless and detract from accomplishing anything. If they can make it work, regardless of whether I agree with all their views, good for them. I can go on and on as to what I believe the IDHA and the IBA have done in the past and good that it has produced. That said, there needs to be new energy and new involvement. The IDHA and the IBA has a lot of baggage with many deer hunters, be it warranted or not. So, there needs to be other organizations with other views and goals. My hope would be that all organizations put the deer herd first and foremost. We need more involvement, not less. And as I have said before, no organization is all right or all wrong and no organization can be all things to all people.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47278
07/10/2015 03:07 PM
07/10/2015 03:07 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
If the "IWDHM" wants to put the Deer Herd first they need to stake a firm stance against HIGH FENCE KILLING of Deer and CWD, then move in the right direction to end it!!!

There stance of NOT being AGAINST it is SAD...

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47279
07/10/2015 03:29 PM
07/10/2015 03:29 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
Brew You hit the Nail on the Head ..If you are going to sit at a table with Partners and EVERY ONE of those Partners, State and National have Taken a FIRM stance against Canned Hunting and the very root of CWD deer farming. If you want to accomplish anything you had better stand side by side with your partners, if you want there support.. and its not happening.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47280
07/10/2015 08:41 PM
07/10/2015 08:41 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
I still want a Spring squirrel season.

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47281
07/10/2015 09:10 PM
07/10/2015 09:10 PM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
Originally posted by Weedhopper:
I still want a Spring squirrel season.
Ditto

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47282
07/11/2015 03:16 AM
07/11/2015 03:16 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by THROBAK:
Brew You hit the Nail on the Head If you are going to sat at a table with Partners and EVERY ONE of those Partners state and National has Taken a FIRM stance against Canned Hunting and the very root of CWD if you want to accomplish anything you had better stand side by side with them if you want there support and its not happening
Exactly.....

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47283
07/11/2015 03:14 PM
07/11/2015 03:14 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
If the "IWDHM" wants to put the Deer Herd first they need to stake a firm stance against HIGH FENCE KILLING of Deer and CWD, then move in the right direction to end it!!!

I agree that this is a major issue and am disappointed with their current position on it if they are not against it. That alone though does not mean that their organization alone and working with others on other issues isn't without merit. Don't forget that there are a lot of big national organizations that haven't become actively involved with the canned hunting issue. Folks have to find common ground and work towards successful conclusions and while I agree that canned hunting is something that all organizations should be against, there are a lot of other issues that also need attention.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47284
07/12/2015 01:34 AM
07/12/2015 01:34 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
[b] If the "IWDHM" wants to put the Deer Herd first they need to stake a firm stance against HIGH FENCE KILLING of Deer and CWD, then move in the right direction to end it!!!

I agree that this is a major issue and am disappointed with their current position on it if they are not against it. That alone though does not mean that their organization alone and working with others on other issues isn't without merit. Don't forget that there are a lot of big national organizations that haven't become actively involved with the canned hunting issue. Folks have to find common ground and work towards successful conclusions and while I agree that canned hunting is something that all organizations should be against, there are a lot of other issues that also need attention. [/b]
The big national organizations won't pitch their tent because of places like South Texas and South Africa....where high fence facilities are measured in square miles, not square acres, and contain self sustaining resident herds. For most, "high fence hunting " and "canned hunting" are synonymous...and until that changes, don't expect the big boys to take the hard line.

That said, it is completely ridiculous for a deer hunting organization in Indiana to take a neutral stand on this issue! High fence operations in this state only offer canned hunting. Indiana has small tracts, often sub-divided, and the pens require artificial stocking with farm raised animals. THAT is 100% canned hunting IMO.

Unfortunately, that "IMO" is where the train gets derailed on the national/world stage. Opinions are like a**holes...everybody has one.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47285
07/12/2015 11:30 AM
07/12/2015 11:30 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Paul, those organizations could take a stance based upon acreage and such, but still they seldom will take a stance. They get no excuse in my opinion.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47286
07/12/2015 01:33 PM
07/12/2015 01:33 PM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Paul, those organizations could take a stance based upon acreage and such, but still they seldom will take a stance. They get no excuse in my opinion.
I agree 100% Dave. Problem would be defining minimum acreage for different species and types of terrain.

The way I see it, if the facility is not large enough to sustain a resident herd....and must be artificially stocked with game farm animals...the acreage is a moot point.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47287
07/12/2015 02:42 PM
07/12/2015 02:42 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Exactly Pav..... If it has a ear tag or farm raised it not free range!!!

The Sad part with IWDHM is they didnt poll there member/ followers about the issue.They just made a position on there own behind the scene !!!

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47288
07/12/2015 04:13 PM
07/12/2015 04:13 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
For sake of debate, the term farm raised is an interesting term. Arguably cattle ranchers out west that let their cattle free range on government lands don't raise wild cattle but instead those are farmed or ranched cattle. The ear tag I get. And, I do understand the intent of farm raised in the context of Indiana. But, the term itself could be applied differently in some circumstances.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47289
07/13/2015 03:46 AM
07/13/2015 03:46 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Yeah, but in most western locations, those cattle (and sheep) only "free range" on government land a few months out of the year. They live in private pasture and feed lots the majority of their lives.
I don't think that practice clouds the definition of "farm raised".

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47290
07/13/2015 10:54 AM
07/13/2015 10:54 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Paul, not sure the word majority is fair but I do understand your point. At this point though the issue appears to be more so in the legislative arena then DNR. The organizations, all if them, will have to decide whether they wish to engage, support or oppose these activities In the meantime, it could be argued that there are numerous other issues that need attention and the more organizations working together the better off the resource will likely be. I've not always been fond of some of the positions of the IBA but to publicly try to diminish their value or discredit them publicly wasn't warranted. This public stuff between sporting groups is detrimental to the big picture. We have to understand that most organizations don't represent the average deer hunter and might not even want to. So, the needs to be continuos private dialogue seeking common ground and then rules of process for that which folks disagree on. I remember when QDMA wouldn't help with the birth control issue because it wasn't their mission. Do be it. Doesn't mean they are a bad organization or not worth working with. Until, and I would hope it happens, the longtime leaders of the existing groups sit down and talk with the new folks we will not know how there can be added value of more people at the table.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47291
07/14/2015 03:09 PM
07/14/2015 03:09 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
I'm going to comment on IDHWM Facebook page as President of the IDHA and a member of the FWCC.

IDHWM came to the FWCC wanting to be a member with NO/ZERO group structure, their only claim was that the "net" was the future of communication. That might be but today we use a network of interested parties with a structure. Let me also add that IDNR has a Facebook page. People can comment as they wish with no fear of being censored, that can not be said of IDWHM.

The IDHA learned long ago that polls can be manipulated by how the questions are asked,IDWHM has not learned that the questions they asked are loaded in their favor or they do not care. You as a member are either "for" their agenda or you are banned.

IDWHM seems to be against IDNR's deer management plan....... Two of the three representatives at the FWCC meeting actively participated in the liberal deer harvest of the 80's, 90's and even into 2000's! There was ample bragging of deer harvests per season in the "family" of more than 20 deer harvested,the "kill number" was justified as the family consumed the deer, now today the IDNR is the problem? I can't comment on the 3rd person as he, to my knowledge was never an IDHA member.

Anyone can check the IDHA's position on herd reduction, even back when there were county quotas, the IDHA warned of over harvest and the result. We were told and I quote....... "We built the deer herd once and we can do it again." Search my quotes on this site and others and you will find this in my history many times.

CWD,EHD,Deer farming/Deer rehab, canned hunting, mean nothing to the Facebook page ownership, membership was not involved.

The IDHA will support ANY group that has filed as a group with the State of Indiana or the Federal Government and meets tax recording requirements...... At this time the IDWHM does not meet the standard required for membership in the FWCC.

Joe Bacon

President IDHA

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47292
07/14/2015 05:04 PM
07/14/2015 05:04 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by jbwhttail:
I'm going to comment on IDHWM Facebook page as President of the IDHA and a member of the FWCC.

IDHWM came to the FWCC wanting to be a member with NO/ZERO group structure, their only claim was that the "net" was the future of communication. That might be but today we use a network of interested parties with a structure. Let me also add that IDNR has a Facebook page. People can comment as they wish with no fear of being censored, that can not be said of IDWHM.

The IDHA learned long ago that polls can be manipulated by how the questions are asked,IDWHM has not learned that the questions they asked are loaded in their favor or they do not care. You as a member are either "for" their agenda or you are banned.

IDWHM seems to be against IDNR's deer management plan....... Two of the three representatives at the FWCC meeting actively participated in the liberal deer harvest of the 80's, 90's and even into 2000's! There was ample bragging of deer harvests per season in the "family" of more than 20 deer harvested,the "kill number" was justified as the family consumed the deer, now today the IDNR is the problem? I can't comment on the 3rd person as he, to my knowledge was never an IDHA member.

Anyone can check the IDHA's position on herd reduction, even back when there were county quotas, the IDHA warned of over harvest and the result. We were told and I quote....... "We built the deer herd once and we can do it again." Search my quotes on this site and others and you will find this in my history many times.

CWD,EHD,Deer farming/Deer rehab, canned hunting, mean nothing to the Facebook page ownership, membership was not involved.

The IDHA will support ANY group that has filed as a group with the State of Indiana or the Federal Government and meets tax recording requirements...... At this time the IDWHM does not meet the standard required for membership in the FWCC.

Joe Bacon

President IDHA
Thanks for your input.....

Looks like the same view I have of them also!!!

BTW...Your spot on about censorship on the "IWDHM" site.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47293
07/14/2015 05:12 PM
07/14/2015 05:12 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I'm hoping that everyone can take a step back and be focused on their individual organization and the deer herd itself. There needs to be an effort for everyone to look forward and not look back. All of us have likely gone through various stages of deer hunting and deer harvesting. What happened in the past probably is best served in the past.

I'm not sure what all the criteria is that the DNR established for participation on FWCC and I'm happy to see that the IDHA is supportive of any group that meets that criteria. Each organization, be it the IBA, the IDHA , QDMA or the IDWHM all likely having differing views on various issues but each likely has value to be added to supporting the DNR and to input and ideas as to how the future of deer management in Indiana is best served. The best approach in my opinion is for the various individuals in all of these organizations to sit down and talk about common interest and goals. There is no doubt in my mind that each organization has individuals with a lot of passion and energy concerning deer and deer management and what would likely best serve the DNR and the deer herd generally is for all those individuals to work together. Heck, I even think a guy named Woody Williams should be at the table also because he has a lot of passion and energy as well, even though many on here have not always met eye to eye with him on issues. There is no value in exclusion and if folks are really interested in the deer herd we have to be able to work through any barriers to working together. Personally, I don't believe the FWCC is worth the time that is spent on it and that a better format by the DNR is probably warranted.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47294
07/14/2015 11:29 PM
07/14/2015 11:29 PM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
This stuff reminds me why this nations founding fathers created a "Republic" and not a "democracy."
In a democracy, majority rules. Basically if it's 50-50, you talk enough people into voting with you so it's 51-49 and you get what you want. This sucks because the 49% group will talk a couple back to their side and back the other way we go.
In a "republic" we elect people we trust to act on our behalf...to do whats best, even if it isn't always what we "wanted." If those elected aren't doing what's best, we vote them out...(which we don't seem to do anymore)
In this case, it sounds like the people making all these decisions aren't elected officials? I don't know who's making all these new rules. Too many abreviations...I don't know what all of them stand for.

Anyway, I think Delaney really makes a lot of sense here. A dead deer is a dead deer regardless of what weapon was used to kill it. I realize that some make the job easier.
I've said before and stand by it: The difference between Indiana and the states so many love is that hunters in those other states aren't shooting little bucks and aren't killing as many does as they can. You could make the rules more liberal in Illinois and Iowa and it wouldn't change a thing. They have what they have because they CHOOSE to do what's right.
Those states are about the same size as we are and they kill as many deer in archery as we do with guns!!

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47295
07/15/2015 05:10 AM
07/15/2015 05:10 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
All depends on your definition of Right And what the management plan is Stable across the boards herd stability Or Big Buck Management

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47296
07/16/2015 06:02 AM
07/16/2015 06:02 AM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
My definition? You missed the point. In Iowa, the "Managemant Plan" is what each individual decides it is...Like I said, Iowa could adopt the same management plan Indiana has, and it would have little effect because the hunters/guy with the weapon would continue to manage themselves. They let little bucks walk. Period. I'm not saying it's right or wrong...but that's what's going on. That's what will ALWAYS happen. They have antlerless season and they have a "Plan" every fall on how many does they will take from their farm,lease etc...
In my opinion, we fix all of our problems by managing ourselves. Not by legislating it.

Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47297
07/17/2015 03:55 AM
07/17/2015 03:55 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Does Iowa have a Big Rock Candy Mountain too?

Followed by Buzzards
Re: 2015 Deer Season Bonus County Numbers #47298
07/17/2015 04:32 AM
07/17/2015 04:32 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
In Iowa, they don't hunt deer with firearms during the rut. That is a HUGE factor for growing big deer. Iowa residents are used to seeing big deer, which makes many hunters more selective by default. Hunter attitudes in Iowa are a reflection of their management plan.

Same could be said anywhere, including Indiana. Whether you supported OBR or not, it is undeniable that OBR affected hunter attitudes when it comes to notching their buck tag. The regulations definitely make a difference in hunter attitudes.

I read an interesting piece talking about regulation versus conservation. Said for many years, conservation was the primary consideration when determining regulations. Not so much these days. Conservation has taken a back seat to politics and hunter preference.

That article speaks an unfortunate truth IMO.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,841
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance