Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Many threads of late have been those concerned with severely lower deer #'s in the field last year and even MORE compounded lower #'s this year. The IDNR is taking public feedback right now and shutting it off in late Feb.

Get your comments in.....don't forget to leave them with suggestions like shortening the gun season, reducing antlerless quotas, etc, etc. Those that have no disregard for the way things are headed to a severely reduced herd already will not be happy with suggesting reducing the # of days of gun season......but who cares. Listening to "that crowd" got us into this mess faster and deeper that we are in now.....and caused the IDNR to choose their second option (prop2.0).....not their first option (prop1.0). Click in the link below.....let the IDNR know how you feel about this current disaster of Prop 2.0 that the IDNR was forced to do. Copy the same response you send to the IDNR and send it to your Legislators too. Also sending a copy to Bryan Pointer and Pat Early of the NRC would be a good idea too. If Woody can send 100's of emails to Bryan Pointer to push crossbows and supporting extending this "special antlerless" season we got with Prop 2.0.....(as Bryan Pointer said about Woody's email barrage to him).....then we can send our 100's of ideas on how to undo this mess to Bryan Pointer of the NRC.

Here's the link gang.....let them have it.....

IDNR Feedback Link

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4694
01/02/2014 09:04 AM
01/02/2014 09:04 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Already been there and voiced my support.

And thanks to the powers that be for taking public comments. More people have a voice in the process this way.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4695
01/02/2014 09:09 AM
01/02/2014 09:09 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4696
01/02/2014 10:50 AM
01/02/2014 10:50 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Wow, You think they are serious about reduction?

Increasing bag limit? 8 is not enough?
Baiting?

Deer (Urban Deer Zones): Rename urban deer zones to reduction zones,
- Modify boundaries for these zones,
- Allow baiting to be used in these zones after archery season closes,
- Increase bag limit of antlerless deer in these areas,
- Allow the director to establish these zones on an annual basis by temporary rule,
- Allow firearms in these areas (where authorized by local ordinances)

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4697
01/02/2014 11:22 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by 76chevy:
Wow, You think they are serious about reduction?

Increasing bag limit? 8 is not enough?
Baiting?

Deer (Urban Deer Zones): Rename urban deer zones to reduction zones,
- Modify boundaries for these zones,
- Allow baiting to be used in these zones after archery season closes,
- Increase bag limit of antlerless deer in these areas,
- Allow the director to establish these zones on an annual basis by temporary rule,
- Allow firearms in these areas (where authorized by local ordinances)
It's a national trend. Did you happen to see the recent Time magazine article? Here's a link to a blog about it. Interesting read.

web pagehttp://www.fieldandstream.c...over-story-should-challenge-deer-hunters

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4698
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Kind said this for years now, but if the folks want a good deal of "input" then have a booth at the Renfro show that has a simple computer survey that folks have to enter their driver license number so as to assure no duplication. Could be something that would take less then three minutes to complete and they'd have access to thousands of sportsmen and women that probably have nothing to do with any clubs or websites. A smart high school kid could create the survey in no time at all. If the DNR would do this, I'd work with the Kevin and his brother to find a spot and figure out how the the booth space would be paid for the DNR. I'm sure someone in the DNR is reading these goofy websites. Phil or others, if interested, call me!

Now in regard to the magazine comment of "Finally, at long last, America may be increasingly seeing us as we see ourselves: as game managers. We need to hold up our end of the bargain, especially in the suburbs where in many cases we are not doing enough. If we don't, we risk losing our credibility with non-hunters, the damage from which would be far worse than what any anti-hunters could inflict", are we also willing to not pull the trigger when numbers are down, be it gun or bow?

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4699
01/02/2014 11:26 AM
01/02/2014 11:26 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by delaney:
Kind said this for years now, but if the folks want a good deal of "input" then have a booth at the Renfro show that has a simple computer survey that folks have to enter their driver license number so as to assure no duplication. Could be something that would take less then three minutes to complete and they'd have access to thousands of sportsmen and women that probably have nothing to do with any clubs or websites. A smart high school kid could create the survey in no time at all. If the DNR would do this, I'd work with the Kevin and his brother to find a spot and figure out how the the booth space would be paid for the DNR. I'm sure someone in the DNR is reading these goofy websites. Phil or others, if interested, call me!
If the DNR could figure out a way to make something like that available statewide I'd support it in a second.

It's a good idea.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4700
01/02/2014 11:36 AM
01/02/2014 11:36 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
I did read it when it came out. Well written piece portraying hunters in a positive light.

Originally posted by jjas:
...Did you happen to see the recent Time magazine article? Here's a link to a blog about it. Interesting read.

web pagehttp://www.fieldandstream.c...over-story-should-challenge-deer-hunters

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4701
01/02/2014 03:10 PM
01/02/2014 03:10 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN

Now in regard to the magazine comment of "Finally, at long last, America may be increasingly seeing us as we see ourselves: as game managers. We need to hold up our end of the bargain, especially in the suburbs where in many cases we are not doing enough. If we don't, we risk losing our credibility with non-hunters, the damage from which would be far worse than what any anti-hunters could inflict", are we also willing to not pull the trigger when numbers are down, be it gun or bow?
This really is the BIG picture...+1

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4702
01/02/2014 03:14 PM
01/02/2014 03:14 PM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
sent in my comments like I have done numerous other times. Not optimistic that the IDNR will change their "kill em all" stance anytime soon.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4703
01/02/2014 03:43 PM
01/02/2014 03:43 PM
Corydon Indiana
randy_weiland Offline
Hoosier Hunter
randy_weiland  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Corydon Indiana
Copy/Paste of my input to the DNR:
The following are my thoughts on recent changes to the Indiana deer seasons, and bag limits.. First of all I think the additional antlerless season is a great idea, which gives Indiana gun/deer hunters an additional eleven days to hunt deer. I also think it was a good Idea to take out the break in bow season. Now, with that being said I also have a couple of complaints... The deer don't want their herd reduced, and the hunters likewise would prefer to see more, not less deer. I see no reason why any county should have a bag limit of more than 4 antlerless deer, period.....The one buck rule was a GREAT idea, and it has improved the quality if Indiana's bucks dramaticly, GET RID OF TELECHECK so it can be enforced ! Last but not least, I would like to adress the favoritism shown to bow hunters. Deer season should come in Oct.1 and go out Jan 5. In that time, a hunter should be able to bag a deer with any weapon he or she chooses.

SHHH.... Be vewy vewy quiet,I'm hunting WABBITS
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4704
01/02/2014 09:14 PM
01/02/2014 09:14 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
I think most on here, myself included are all for reducing deer numbers where needed....towns/cities/urban areas, State Parks/Preserves, etc....but the DNR does it with a broad brush....they put the whole of Porter County a "Urban Zone"....the north vs south portion of this county is as different as NW Indiana vs south of Indy....2 different worlds....of course the over kill via the **** antlerless tags is beyond compare....They take any given county and put a 8 bonus on it when the whole county dosnt need to be a 8....some areas, yes or maybe, but not the whole county....I'm with Randy on the telecheck....I dont like it either...

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4705
01/03/2014 08:55 AM
01/03/2014 08:55 AM
porter county
countryboy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
countryboy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
porter county
First I would like to say that I respect everyone's opinion on the subject (and that's exactly what these are, opinions, none of use are unequivocally correct).
I have voiced my opinion on subject to DNR website. I agree with statement that DNR uses broad brush; however, to take a micro view would require vast amount of resources that I simply don't think DNR has. Probably why we as hunters need to participate in these surveys.

I voiced against increased bag limits, Urban zone reclassification. I also voiced that I don't agree that all Porter & Lake should b urban. In addition I have stated the real problem in Indiana is access to private land and that the State should find ways to help hunters gain access. I also stated that if land owners are benefiting from the state by crop damage insurance or subsidies they should be required to have hunter access available.

I support telecheck, baiting and keeping the gun season the same.

While many will disagree it's my thoughts and I have voiced them.

life is over when your dead until then you have more pain in store so take it like a man and give some back!
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4706
01/03/2014 06:09 PM
01/03/2014 06:09 PM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
traditionalarcher17 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
traditionalarcher17  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
http://farm.ewg.org/search.php?fips=18000®ionname=Indiana

Here ya go country boy, this will really tick ya off. Can look up those farmers who get subsidies then lease it right back out to the taxpayers.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4707
01/04/2014 08:26 AM
01/04/2014 08:26 AM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
Every day, somebody at work or in my family bashes obama for aparently being the only president to give money away. According to most everyone I'm around, the only reason anyone is unemployed or doesn't have healthcare is because obama gives them every thing for free. It's as if obama is the 1st president to sign off on spending.

Then you read the link above... farm subsidies... talk about free money! As if homeland security isn't a big enough waste of money, we have farm subsidies.
Basically, a guy takes advantage of our freedom and CHOOSES farming as his occupation. Or better yet, inherits a farming business. A lot of times a HUGE farm. So then these guys fall on hard times or whatever... and the government bails them out. Just like they bailed out the banks and GM and Chrysler.
Now most who claim to be republican or conservative will come on here and say we have the freedom to succeed AND the freedom to fail. But evidently in the case of farmers... they don't feel that way. They deserve a bailout.
I took my freedom and chose my profession. And no republican would be in favor of bailing me out if I lose MY job(Nor would I expect them to). But farmers... the government uses MY tax dollars to bail out HUGE corporate farms and those who vote republican are saying THAT is okay.
But the elderly person living downtown... they don't deserve it because they're LAZY.

WHAT IN THE HECK IS THIS COUNTRY TURNING INTO?

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4708
01/04/2014 08:31 AM
01/04/2014 08:31 AM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
Sorry to get off topic. I'll be giving the IDNR my input.

I'm just so sick of hearing every day how everyone else is lazy. I work my butt off. Most couldn't do my job if they wanted to.
And I realize that if I get hurt or get unexpectedly sick... that I won't be able to do my job. And then, everyone else who never could do my job, will call me lazy

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4709
01/04/2014 08:51 AM
01/04/2014 08:51 AM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
Where did that rant come from, and how did farm subsidies and politics get drug into this thread?

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4710
01/07/2014 07:09 AM
01/07/2014 07:09 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Bump....give your feedback those that need to hear it. ( see original post on this thread)

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4711
01/14/2014 06:31 PM
01/14/2014 06:31 PM
Clark county
M
MKFrench78 Offline
MKFrench78  Offline
M
Clark county
Hope everyone is giving their feedback regarding Indiana DNR being responsible for a Midwest wide deer population down turn and what Indiana DNR needs to do to fix it.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4712
01/15/2014 04:52 AM
01/15/2014 04:52 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by MKFrench78:
Hope everyone is giving their feedback regarding Indiana DNR being responsible for a Midwest wide deer population down turn and what Indiana DNR needs to do to fix it.
Well..........don't expect our Indiana DNR to "lead the way" for the Midwest as they have CLEARLY shown the past few years they are incapable of doing such....when their hands get tied, and they are forced to choose "second choices" by a few loud hunters that do not represent our IDNR's first choices, or what the majority of our Deer Hunters wanted. Good luck with our IDNR being able to "lead the way" in the Midwest with that "Ball and Chain" strapped to them....as they actually DO converse with other Midwestern DNR staff leaders.

But glad you can see that from your sarcastic post.......So Sad when our IDNR is at the "bottom of the heap" with issues in this Midwest Deer Decline other states are experiencing.

So much to fix here..........glad you care MKFrench.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4713
01/15/2014 05:28 AM
01/15/2014 05:28 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
+1
What the complainers don't realize is that we grew our herd with basically the same firearms structure we have had for the past 30 years minus the late antlerless season. Looks like the DNR has the herd exactly where they want them, and now it will be easy to adjust the harvest by adding or taking away antlerless permits.

No Need to adjust any season dates just bump up antlerless tags or knock them down a notch or two to gain desired results.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4714
01/15/2014 10:26 AM
01/15/2014 10:26 AM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Originally posted by BREW...:
[b] Hope everyone is giving their feedback regarding Indiana DNR being responsible for a Midwest wide deer population down turn and what Indiana DNR needs to do to fix it.
+1
What the complainers don't realize is that we grew our herd with basically the same firearms structure we have had for the past 30 years minus the late antlerless season. Looks like the DNR has the herd exactly where they want them, and now it will be easy to adjust the harvest by adding or taking away antlerless permits.

No Need to adjust any season dates just bump up antlerless tags or knock them down a notch or two to gain desired results. [/b]
Brew hit the nail on the head! h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4715
01/15/2014 12:47 PM
01/15/2014 12:47 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Couple of points to recent posts, The herd is in a decline if not a steep decline. Recent outbreaks of EHD has certaintly contributed as well as hunter harvests. Antlered harvest as a ratio to anlerless harvest is a main factor in antlerless permits assigned to each county. If antler harvest keeps rising they "assume" the herd is growing, this is without any research on hunter demographics on a given county, before or after each season. Are more hunters hunting a given county?

When your male deer(antlered and buttons) harvest is less than the female harvest there is little doubt that you are reducing the deer herd. You need those females to produce the bucks taken, at a virtual 1:1 birth ratio common sense says less doe less bucks.I;ve set back and watched the 40:60 bucks to does in recent years and thought this will not goe well, now it seems it "is not going well". Going well for IDNR and its financial needs, going well for a "deer reduction", but not the hunter satisfaction.

IDNR is going to be able to go to the legislature and "pump their chests" as to how they met goals demanded by the legislature. Does ANYONE here get it? This is not what IDNR wanted! IDNR would love a deer behind every tree, they would sell more license and gain more revenue. Revenue the LEGISLATURE doles out in a budget. IDNR in my memory has NEVER been allowed to spend as much as it takes in. Hunters contribute heavily to any"surplus Indiana has as License fees are not available to deposit in the "General Fund". OUR license fees can't be taken to pay for anything outside IDNR.

That said, it only makes sense that IDNR wants more license sales (or revenue) so their budget can be bigger. Who pays the price? The deer! I set in the meetings on the "bundle license", I heard the talk of not losing revenue, and how this bundle package would increase revenue. I have no problem funding IDNR, but folks THEY are "government". Their sole purpose is to grow "government" it insures their jobs.

Sure they can drop high county permits in some counties as an olive branch, but will it make a difference?

If most people are not killing more than 2 deer is a fact(and it is) how will it affect a county harvest? Switch Switzerland county from a "8" to a "4" and I would bet nothing changes. Season dates and lengths do affect hunter attitudes.

This can be best expained by our present season dates. IDNR readily admits that a longer season gives more opportunity for hunters and spread the harvest out over several months. Weather is not as much a factor(but they and other states are fast to use it when needed). The more days in the field the better the chance a hunter kills a deer.

Brew: I have met you, I like you, you claim to be the "guardian of gun season". Be honest, your job keeps you on the road out of state. ANY reduction of season length in gun seasons reduces your ability to kill a mature buck. Your concerns are self centered and not about the overall herd or the "guy next door".

As posted by others here a "few" of us have our own "Nirvana" when it comes to deer hunting. "We" have no need to fight for changing any regulations as we "manage" ourrselves, what I and others try to do is improve the experience of those around us.

Hunt on! But remember the enemy is not IDNR, it is "US" and the legislature who controls IDNR. It takes "US" to control the killing, and "US" to tell the legislature "enough killing ", but alas "US" will continue to type here.....LOL!

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4716
01/15/2014 12:58 PM
01/15/2014 12:58 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Very well put, Joe. cool

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4717
01/15/2014 01:39 PM
01/15/2014 01:39 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Originally posted by jbwhttail:
Sure they can drop high county permits in some counties as an olive branch, but will it make a difference?

If most people are not killing more than 2 deer is a fact(and it is) how will it affect a county harvest? Switch Switzerland county from a "8" to a "4" and I would bet nothing changes. Season dates and lengths do affect hunter attitudes.
Thanks Joe for reiterating what I have been saying all along... Reducing counties from 8 to 4 is meaningless if hunters are only killing two deer... Only way to make an impact is to cut it down to 1 bonus tag or say you can have 92 bouns tags as long as you do not use more then one per county...

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4718
01/15/2014 01:51 PM
01/15/2014 01:51 PM
Clark county
M
MKFrench78 Offline
MKFrench78  Offline
M
Clark county
Thats terribly put "joe" and in fact is "the pot calling the kettle black!"

I am 100% satisfied with the indiana deer hunting. I hunt almost exclusively public ground with exception of a 13 acre farm I have access to and the occasion hunt as a guest with friends. There are things I don't like but satisfied.

As far as being "selfish" about the length of gun hunting. I'm get father of 2 young boys and have a job that isn't friendly to my hunting "wants". This year for example my deer hunting consisted of hunting Tuesday mornings from last week in October thru the 1st week of ML season and Opening weekend of gun season. Trust me, i "wanted" to hunt more and if I had to choose one weapon only it'd be bow BUT I don't have to nor do i expect anyone else to think that way. Leave the. seasons as is and adjust the antlerless tags as/where needed.

Big middle finger to most of the loudest hypocrites on this site...you know who you are.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4719
01/15/2014 02:14 PM
01/15/2014 02:14 PM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
We are by nature each a but selfish and want it our way. Remember, this deer herd is not biologically in trouble. So, all of this is social recreational stuff.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4720
01/15/2014 02:57 PM
01/15/2014 02:57 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by jbwhttail:

Brew: I have met you, I like you, you claim to be the "guardian of gun season". Be honest, your job keeps you on the road out of state. ANY reduction of season length in gun seasons reduces your ability to kill a mature buck. Your concerns are self centered and not about the overall herd or the "guy next door".

JOE(JB):I have met you, I like you also and hope that NEVER changes.My job has little influence on my Deer Hunting 99% of the time. I hunted 20+ days in Nov.and 7+day in Dec.this year.My concerns are NOT self centered as you may call/see it but your entitled to you opinion. And yes I'm very concerned about overall herd and the "guy next door"....I have not forgot "where" I came from!!!!

BTW...As stated here before the deer herd grew in numbers and prospered very well in numbers basically under the current season structures, except for the recently added antlerless week. The obvious major difference was/is access to tags for antlerless deer. Without any other changes except the elimination of the antlerless week, the deer herd can/will recover reasonably quickly.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4721
01/15/2014 03:21 PM
01/15/2014 03:21 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Here is the email from another site, one that claims to NEVER influence a hunters decision.....

I would be remiss if I didn't identify the site and Author........ WWW.hunt-indiana.com and Woody Williams.

INPUT TO THE IDNR

As owner and administrator of hunt-indiana.com I would be remiss in my duty to not give all members a heads up on the present DNR input session.

This is the second year since the IDNR started on a strategic deer herd population reduction program in specific areas. Contrary to some beliefs it appears to be working. Has it gone too far in some areas? Possibly, but the IDNR can alleviate that with bonus permit allocation reduction in those same areas.

Proof positive is that the DNR basically eased off the deer herd reduction gas pedal after the first year (2012) and instituted a reduction of bonus permits from 2012 to 2013 in some 20 counties. That shows that it is going the way that they wanted it to go and they are now starting to scale back. 6 of those 20 counties fell to a 3 or less bonus permit county that took those counties out of the “special late antlerless” season. It is my opinion that they will ease off some more for the 2014 season.

Now the heads up - I’m sure that there are some hunters that do not care for any reduction at all, but it is what it has to be. A very vocal minority is using this planned reduction in an attempt to turn the clock back and are again proposing to “shorten and move the gun and muzzleloader seasons, get rid of the late special antlerless season and get rid of the crossbows.” I guess they do not understand the concept of a “strategic herd reduction” that the DNR is doing.

If you do not want any changes to the firearm and/or the muzzleloader and crossbow season I suggest that you make your feelings known to the DNR at

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7373.htm .

We have had a 16 day firearm and a 16 day muzzleloader season for a long, long, long time. Even when the DNR was *GROWING* our deer herd. They can grow the herd again with the current seasons by doing exactly what they did then - limiting antlerless permits and/or scaling back county participation in the late special antlerless season. With the DNR deer biologist using the antlerless bonus permits the herd can be controlled where it is supposed to be. When a county gets to a 3 bonus allowance that removes it from the late special antlerless season, just like the DNR did with those 6 counties this last season. That move brought to a total of 23 counties that the “special late antlerless season did not apply. With the bonus permits reduction and more counties falling under the 4 limit for the special late antlerless season the DNR can tweak the herd size the way it supposed to do without taking away any deer hunter opportunity

Please send in YOUR input on this and YOUR OWN IDEAS to the DNR today at –

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7373.htm

Thanks,

Woody Williams

You are receiving this email because you have
opted to receive emails from hunt-indiana.com

Any influence here ??????????? Woody has it figured out, he uses people who have no clue but a crossbow agenda......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4722
01/15/2014 03:39 PM
01/15/2014 03:39 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
So have any of the "FACTS" been miss represented in that email??? confused

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4723
01/15/2014 03:41 PM
01/15/2014 03:41 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Too little. ......too late Woody.

It's over.....send all the propaganda chit you want to others. You fried yourself and others with your "one time glory stunt"....and your "one trick pony".

The only hope I have at this point Woodward is that you are still alive to see this shortened gun season happen.....shortly.

.....and scratch your beedy little head wondering how it all fell apart for you in a few short years.

You're panicking Woody.....and I know why.....

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4724
01/15/2014 03:47 PM
01/15/2014 03:47 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by Scarlett Dew:

It's over.....send all the propaganda chit you want to others. You fried yourself and others with your "one time glory stunt"....and your "one trick pony".

The only hope I have at this point Woodward is that you are still alive to see this shortened gun season happen.....shortly.

.....and scratch your beedy little head wondering how it all fell apart for you in a few short years.

:rolleyes: .....SMH

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4725
01/15/2014 03:58 PM
01/15/2014 03:58 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Well Brew he used coyotes as a factor in his recent posts on his site and you agreed. NOT A FACT for his input correct? so he is mis reprenting facts to some one.......is it his members or is it to IDNR?

What I do know is in the end, crossbows will survive and this plan failed. You and many others sold out sound management to crossbow inclusion. Now you aare willing to give up a late antlerless season and the number of county antlerles permits to protect gun season length and crossbows........Can you say HYPROCRITE?

I'm done before I lose friendships........

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4726
01/15/2014 04:56 PM
01/15/2014 04:56 PM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
Honestly, can folks drop the emotional stuff. Look, 2.0 didn't get us in this situation and neither did crossbows. There us nothing to support that thought. Maybe things need to change but seriously, guys on here are good people, can there be any sense of acting such.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4727
01/15/2014 05:34 PM
01/15/2014 05:34 PM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
Poor Woody.......guy gets blasted on this site! If your reading this Woody......I've got your back.....crossbow brother!

Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping is where it's @!!!!!
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4728
01/15/2014 05:56 PM
01/15/2014 05:56 PM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
Woody needs to be left out of comments entirely because he isn't relevant to the issue and doesn't comment here. This site shouldn't treat people in that manner.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4729
01/15/2014 06:08 PM
01/15/2014 06:08 PM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
Originally posted by Hanes:
Woody needs to be left out of comments entirely because he isn't relevant to the issue and doesn't comment here. This site shouldn't treat people in that manner.
+1 spread the love man

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4730
01/15/2014 08:59 PM
01/15/2014 08:59 PM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B

Nice post dew, your true colors are really showing with this one.

Blackoak
Lazy Moron Dirtbag X-bow user
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4731
01/16/2014 03:05 AM
01/16/2014 03:05 AM
John Scifres Offline
Hoosier Hunter
John Scifres  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
In 2012 the ML season accounted for 9% of the harvest. The late antlerless season took 7% for a combined 16% of the harvest.

In 2011 the ML accounted for 15% of the harvest.

In 2010 13%.

It seems to me that some of the folks who shot does in the ML season are now holding out for the late antlerless season instead.

In other words, much of the harvest of the late antlerless season would have been killed in the ML season anyway. Therefore elimination of that season will only have a partial reduction in the harvest.

On the other hand, there were 7500 more deer taken by crossbows in 2012 than there were in 2011. That accounts for the entire increase in deer harvest from 2011 to 2012. The increase was 7200.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4732
01/16/2014 04:38 AM
01/16/2014 04:38 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by blackoak:
[b] Too little. ......too late Woody.

Nice post dew, your true colors are really showing with this one. [/b]
You bet they show true Blackoak......!!!!! I am still an advocate that the IDNR gets the shorter gun seasons they wanted in 1.0...... And the public gets to keep the x-bows they wanted in 2.0.......

.......and one person that selfishly then and now that just lives for 2.0 is still alive to see both IDNR and the public blend together what they BOTH wanted as their first choice. I want to see that kind of person live to see that can happen......and scratch their head wondering why his selfishness did not win out in the end.

I'll live quite well with those kind of true colors I represent Blackoak.....Quite Well.....

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4733
01/16/2014 04:44 AM
01/16/2014 04:44 AM
Surveyor4 Offline
Surveyor4  Offline
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Scifres:
[QB] In 2012 the ML season accounted for 9% of the harvest. The late antlerless season took 7% for a combined 16% of the harvest.

In 2011 the ML accounted for 15% of the harvest.

In 2010 13%.

It seems to me that some of the folks who shot does in the ML season are now holding out for the late antlerless season instead.

In other words, much of the harvest of the late antlerless season would have been killed in the ML season anyway. Therefore elimination of that season will only have a partial reduction in the harvest.

I would disagree that many were "holding out", if I remember right the first real snow of the year, at least in my area, in 2012, hit during the new late antlerless season, making the deer that had survived the other seasons much more vulnerable. Thus I believe the vast majority of the deer taken in the late antlerless season in 2012 would have lived another year without that season.

Surveyor
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4734
01/16/2014 09:10 AM
01/16/2014 09:10 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
What I want, what he wants, what I think .... sitting here babbling back and forth dosnt do squat...getting the DNR to get off their butt's is what is needed...some here think that as long as they "see" deer on their places all is fine, go down the road 5 miles and even though the habitat is there or is better than it used to be, the deer are not not like they used to be, cause they have been killed off by those with no restraint....dropping the antlerless tags from 8 to 4 wont do squat either. They must go lower than that and drop the late antlerless and in my county reorganize the "urban zone"....now they want to include baiting, or did you guys not see that, it went right over the heads of those on here.... Baiting...heck, why not include 30-06's too ....I'm done babbling, for now....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4735
01/16/2014 09:26 AM
01/16/2014 09:26 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Many threads of late have been those concerned with severely lower deer #'s in the field last year and even MORE compounded lower #'s this year. The IDNR is taking public feedback right now and shutting it off in late Feb.

Get your comments in.....don't forget to leave them with suggestions like shortening the gun season, reducing antlerless quotas, etc, etc. Those that have no disregard for the way things are headed to a severely reduced herd already will not be happy with suggesting reducing the # of days of gun season......but who cares. Listening to "that crowd" got us into this mess faster and deeper that we are in now.....and caused the IDNR to choose their second option (prop2.0).....not their first option (prop1.0). Click in the link below.....let the IDNR know how you feel about this current disaster of Prop 2.0 that the IDNR was forced to do. Copy the same response you send to the IDNR and send it to your Legislators too. Also sending a copy to Bryan Pointer and Pat Early of the NRC would be a good idea too. If Woody can send 100's of emails to Bryan Pointer to push crossbows and supporting extending this "special antlerless" season we got with Prop 2.0.....(as Bryan Pointer said about Woody's email barrage to him).....then we can send our 100's of ideas on how to undo this mess to Bryan Pointer of the NRC.

IDNR Feedback Link
Including this link again in here for feedback..........keep hammerin' them with it. cool

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4736
01/16/2014 09:47 AM
01/16/2014 09:47 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Please...do keep "hammerin' them" and telling them to "get off their butts"......

Nothing like publicly berating the very people you want/need to sway....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4737
01/16/2014 10:07 AM
01/16/2014 10:07 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
So what did you do...blow 'em a kiss... ;0).... see the smiley, that was tongue in cheek 'cause some may not see the sarcasm...

I wrote to them what "I" thought they should do last week....I am sure they are getting an ear full from many others and then there are those who will sit back and kiss the dnr's behind saying all is well... there are many pissed off deer hunters in this state right now.... Indiana isnt the only State...Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, pretty much all of the midwest...it seems that there is a war on deer thru the Midwest right now.... will the DNR's listen or will they continue with their onslaught on the herds....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4738
01/16/2014 10:35 AM
01/16/2014 10:35 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Please...do keep "hammerin' them" and telling them to "get off their butts"......

Not berating them at all.....not even close.....

Just creating awareness here and feedback there that let's them know people like jjas that pulled the rug out from under the IDNR in the Prop 1.0 and Prop 2.0 era.....are now pretending to be their best buddies for selfish reasons again.

They kinda like that people can see that..... wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4739
01/16/2014 10:36 AM
01/16/2014 10:36 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

IDNR Feedback Link
Keep the feedback flowing with link above .......

They are listening....

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4740
01/16/2014 11:00 AM
01/16/2014 11:00 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b] Please...do keep "hammerin' them" and telling them to "get off their butts"......

Not berating them at all.....not even close.....

Just creating awareness here and feedback there that let's them know people like jjas that pulled the rug out from under the IDNR in the Prop 1.0 and Prop 2.0 era.....are now pretending to be their best buddies for selfish reasons again.

They kinda like that people can see that..... wink [/b]
Nothing like being subjected to the constant barrage of complaints and being berated publicly (by a select few) like they (the IDNR) have been over the last few years....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4741
01/16/2014 11:25 AM
01/16/2014 11:25 AM
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
I suggested they keep true and stay the course, adjust bonus permits accordingly. h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4742
01/16/2014 11:33 AM
01/16/2014 11:33 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by hornharvester:
I suggested they keep true and stay the course, adjust bonus permits accordingly. h.h.
As did I.......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4743
01/16/2014 12:39 PM
01/16/2014 12:39 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
I Imagine the DNR like me when they see certain peoples posts they pretty much consider the source Ignore Him and go to the next one,

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4744
01/16/2014 01:01 PM
01/16/2014 01:01 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Will the feedback be available to the public for all who commented?... Interested in what others are saying...

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4745
01/16/2014 01:04 PM
01/16/2014 01:04 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
I Have seen feedback before

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4746
01/16/2014 01:34 PM
01/16/2014 01:34 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by Bryan78:
Will the feedback be available to the public for all who commented?... Interested in what others are saying...
Yes it is available on request. You will see the same people that cut the knees out from the IDNR as they hated their first choice (Prop 1.0) with their comments....... now supporting them (IDNR) to keep what they were FORCED to do with their comments. LOL!!!

Good luck with that....... laugh

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4747
01/16/2014 02:25 PM
01/16/2014 02:25 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
In the past, the comments were made public...and if you looked closely, you'd see multiple comments made by the same people under different names.... :rolleyes:

Happens every time......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4748
01/16/2014 02:39 PM
01/16/2014 02:39 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
[b] Will the feedback be available to the public for all who commented?... Interested in what others are saying...
In the past, the comments were made public...and if you looked closely, you'd see multiple comments made by the same people under different names.... :rolleyes:

Happens every time...... [/b]
Just like people here that post under different names/multiple names/aliases/and multiple aliases here.....and on Forums they administrate.

Pretty flippin hilarious to see the same guy with aliases talking/posting to himself on his own forum using those aliases to make it look like others agree with him......LMAO!!!

Reminds me of the survey that was put out by the IDNR a few years ago and the results that were tabulated by the Survey Entity stated "and one person/IP address entered their feedback over 500 times"

This is why I'm a proponent of sending hard copy surveys to our homes. Ya got one shot at it....no way to manipulate.....but proponents of Prop 2.0 don't like that idea.....

......Hmmmmmm

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4749
01/16/2014 02:47 PM
01/16/2014 02:47 PM
Martinsville, IN, USA
shooter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
shooter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Martinsville, IN, USA
Grasping at straws, just like the last go around.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4750
01/16/2014 02:51 PM
01/16/2014 02:51 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Too costly Dew. The DNR should consider selling, and I know it would take legislative approval, a sportsmens license which is a one time license that then provides a dedicated identification number that is then used for all purposes like surveys. Now, a person could still submit their family members number and then comment more then once but it would create a more reliable data base that would scrub duplicates and only count when it matched up with an existing lifetime number. That way, surveys and comments to the NRC could use the same system and identifier. Could still be manipulated but it would be less costly over the long haul and still reasonably reliable.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4751
01/16/2014 02:57 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by shooter:
Grasping at straws, just like the last go around.
would expect any less???

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4752
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
I would gladly add my driver's license number to the survey to keep it on the up and up.

That would keep people from making multiple posting(s) under different names and different IPs thus trying to negatively influence the process.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4753
01/16/2014 02:59 PM
01/16/2014 02:59 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
The DNR should consider selling, and I know it would take legislative approval, a sportsmens license which is a one time license that then provides a dedicated identification number that is then used for all purposes like surveys. Now, a person could still submit their family members number and then comment more then once but it would create a more reliable data base that would scrub duplicates and only count when it matched up with an existing lifetime number. That way, surveys and comments to the NRC could use the same system and identifier. Could still be manipulated but it would be less costly over the long haul and still reasonably reliable.
I like your idea. Anything that gets correct/truthful data.....I'm all in ..........no matter what the outcome.

That in itself created quite the angst in allot during Prop 1.0 and 2.0......validity of electronic responses cast.

Again........I like the idea of what you say D.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4754
01/16/2014 03:06 PM
01/16/2014 03:06 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Too costly Dew. The DNR should consider selling, and I know it would take legislative approval, a sportsmens license which is a one time license that then provides a dedicated identification number that is then used for all purposes like surveys. Now, a person could still submit their family members number and then comment more then once but it would create a more reliable data base that would scrub duplicates and only count when it matched up with an existing lifetime number. That way, surveys and comments to the NRC could use the same system and identifier. Could still be manipulated but it would be less costly over the long haul and still reasonably reliable.
How would a non-Hunter or land owner give input under this system ?

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4755
01/16/2014 03:35 PM
01/16/2014 03:35 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
If they wanted to provide input through the system they would have to buy the sportsmen license or such. The cost of the one time license could be just enough to cover direct cost of producing the license. Or, they could continue to influence in any manner they wish otherwise. Today if the DNR pursues input from them, they contribute nothing to the cost so I don't feel they shouldn't cover some costs related to having their voice heard. Non of their taxpayers dollars goes to Fish and Wildlife, or very, very little.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4756
01/17/2014 02:33 AM
01/17/2014 02:33 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Dave,

or just use a driver's license #.

It would verify state (IN or not) residency, verify one user comments, and (nearly) everyone has one so no additional investment is needed by our DNR to develop a new identifier.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4757
01/17/2014 04:24 AM
01/17/2014 04:24 AM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
That would work Dustin.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4758
01/17/2014 08:05 AM
01/17/2014 08:05 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
Most hunt on private land so IMO the landowner,s contribute the most Its been thrown arounda landowner licence structured as a youth licence with the same price range and then the DNR would be able to pick up the PR monies then every one has a licence no.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4759
01/17/2014 09:08 AM
01/17/2014 09:08 AM
Central Indiana
C
cedarthicket Offline
Hoosier Hunter
cedarthicket  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Central Indiana
As far as I know Indiana landowners have never been required to buy a hunting license (migratory waterfowl excluded) to hunt on their own property (as long as they obey the game laws regarding seasons, bag limits, etc.). To require them to buy any kind of hunting license (migratory waterfowl excluded) would mean a change in Indiana law. IMHO, that would be a VERY tough battle to win. After all, it is the private landowners that provide the overwhelming amount of food and habitat that sustain our wildlife. I believe we hunters have more productive uses of our time and money than to fight for that.

Also, all Indiana residents have the opportunity to express their opinions about wildlife management, whether they are hunters, landowners, or apartment renters, etc. And they can express their opinions many different ways, not just through an online survey. Surveying can be a complicated thing. Along that line, would we hunters want to see the results of a survey of HUNTERS severely “diluted” with lots of input from non-hunters or non-hunting license holders?

May all our hunts be safe, enjoyable, and deeply appreciated.
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4760
01/17/2014 09:22 AM
01/17/2014 09:22 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
The wildlife of Indiana is held in trust by the state for benefit of all the people of Indiana.

ALL people -- not just those who hunt, buy a hunting license, etc.

We hunters may not like it at times, but we are not the ONLY citizens influencing wildlife policy decisions.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4761
01/17/2014 09:50 AM
01/17/2014 09:50 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Without added expense, the only viable way I can see for the state to "ID" anyone would be to use your driver's license number as I (and 76Chevy) have already suggested.

The main problem I could see with doing that is that the IDNR would have to provide security so that those numbers aren't seen and are secure. And I would have no idea if their present software used for commenting has that capability.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4762
01/20/2014 03:26 PM
01/20/2014 03:26 PM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
I know you all are probably tired of hearing this B.S., but thought I'd share what a local guy was telling me today. He hunts about two miles from me.

He started off complaining about not seeing many deer this season and I shared my views on how I thought antlerless tags should be reduced, and how I wasn't too keen on the late antlerless season. He agreed, saying hunters were killing too many does, and had some unconfirmed complaints about depredation tags being issued in the area (which I don't believe to be true), also said he thought there was a lot of EHD this year also, which I disagree with, most was the year prior during drought.

I told him how a guy down the road told me he and his buddies butchered 23 this year, then he chimes in as a point of bragging saying he and his buddies butchered 42 this year. Quizzed him about how many he shot, turns out his family killed 6 "but they eat them all" so that is OK.

As politely as possible I explained that we hunters better lay off the trigger and start eating pork and beef if we want many deer to hunt the near future. Don't suspect I made much of an impression because there is just an entitlement atmosphere out there with many hunters that feel they should kill as many deer as they can get tags for.

With this stuff going on, the only possible way to stop the reduction is to severely curtail the antlerless licenses to about (1) per customer in our area. Another year or two of this kind of killing and the deer herd around here is going to be pretty sad.

I'm lucky as I can just leave and hunt another state, however it's pretty sad to see what was once a bountiful resource in the area wiped out to a state of generally pretty crummy hunting.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4763
01/20/2014 04:53 PM
01/20/2014 04:53 PM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
I agree. I didn't think the number allowed was that big of deal but some guys have made good points... A county allowing 4-8 antlerless could lead some to believe that deer are over populated and can take plenty without hurting the herd.

I did not kill a deer this year, by choice. Only deer I took last year was in a state park. I haven't been seeing many deer the last 2-3 years so I'm making the decision to back off.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4764
01/20/2014 09:01 PM
01/20/2014 09:01 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Steiny, you see that in some that come on here....sad, very sad ...

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4765
01/21/2014 01:00 AM
01/21/2014 01:00 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
+1 Steiny.

That has been my point all along. Hunters trust the DNR to do their job. They see the DNR extending seasons and offering basically unlimited deer tags...and they automatically assume there are too many deer. Why not shoot all you want/can?

Yes, before you say it Dave, I know HOW we got here....don't shoot the messenger (DNR). But the facts are... hunter reaction is a product of approved DNR regulations and quotas.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4766
01/21/2014 03:02 AM
01/21/2014 03:02 AM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
Agreed Paul. But up to this point the agency has basically responded to what it has been asked to do by hunters and non hunters alike, generally speaking.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4767
01/21/2014 05:06 AM
01/21/2014 05:06 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Agreed Paul. But up to this point the agency has basically responded to what it has been asked to do by hunters and non hunters alike, generally speaking.
The hunters that frequent websites such as this, attempt to stay informed, provide feedback, etc... represents a very small percentage of the overall deer hunting population.

The majority don't know what is behind the regs. They simply see what gets printed in the hunting guide each summer....and go with that.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4768
01/21/2014 11:00 AM
01/21/2014 11:00 AM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Who were the people suggesting the Indiana deer herd needs reduced in the first place??? When prop 1 first came out in that disguise I have never thought the herd needed reduced except in some state parks. Something about two birds with one stone comes to mind regarding prop 1.

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4769
01/21/2014 11:15 AM
01/21/2014 11:15 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
[b] Agreed Paul. But up to this point the agency has basically responded to what it has been asked to do by hunters and non hunters alike, generally speaking.
Who were the people suggesting the Indiana deer herd needs reduced in the first place??? When prop 1 first came out in that disguise I have never thought the herd needed reduced except in some state parks. Something about two birds with one stone comes to mind regarding prop 1. [/b]
Prop 1 was the result of the initial efforts of ONE legislator. IMO, he was less concerned the about deer population...and more concerned with kicking the DNR and the state hunting orgs in the teeth for fighting all of the high fence bills he introduced.

Prop 1 got canned by hunters. Prop 2 replaced it. Both props had the exact same roots.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4770
01/21/2014 11:19 AM
01/21/2014 11:19 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Prop 1 had "STAKEHOLER" influence...Prop 2 didn't!!! :rolleyes:

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4771
01/21/2014 11:47 AM
01/21/2014 11:47 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Prop 1 had "STAKEHOLER" influence...Prop 2 didn't!!! :rolleyes:
Prop 1 had limited stakeholder (by DNR invite) influence.

Prop 2 had broad stakeholder (by political demand) control.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4772
01/21/2014 04:41 PM
01/21/2014 04:41 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by pav:
[b] Prop 1 had "STAKEHOLER" influence...Prop 2 didn't!!! :rolleyes:
Prop 1 had limited stakeholder (by DNR invite) influence.

Prop 2 had broad stakeholder (by political demand) control. [/b]
Yep..........

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4773
01/22/2014 09:41 AM
01/22/2014 09:41 AM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Pav has it correct on "political influence" as he and I were present in the "stakeholder meetings". We were told to meet one evening in the office of one of the NRC members, three NRC members were present(not even a quorun). When the meeting started The Chief of F&W was asked if Prop 1 would work and was supported by the department, the answer was yes. The NRC member then said a new proposal was going to be introduced and prop 1 pulled, the three NRC members then laid out prop 2. This was BEFORE the public comment period was complete.

Brew, you can keep telling a "story long enough until the general public believes it to be true, which you continue to do, but that does not make it factual or the truth.

I learned a lesson from that experience, government of any kind is not the will of the people, it is the will of those in charge. IDNR can not make ANY decision without approval of the NRC and the Governor, they are puppets. The IDHA will NEVER be put in the position they were with the deer management plan again. We will report on what IDNR is "trying to do", but supporting any idea they have, not going to happen.

Personally...... I've got mine and I will protect that....

Maybe you should jump on the canned hunting fight, it appears it is greased to go thru this year. As I said before in that post, the IDHA wont waste resources.......

Hope this helps you understand who really runs the "show". It isn't you or I.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4774
01/22/2014 10:06 AM
01/22/2014 10:06 AM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
The IDNR simply have a job to do, much like all of us, and they have people they report to. Can't argue what happened but the citizens of Indiana elect the officials and it is those officials who are the bosses. I'd hate to think that sportsmen don't understand the realities of how things work and I'd find it counter productive for sportsmen to not support the IDNR. Regardless of outcomes, if there is any agency that is there trying to make sportsmen happy and protect their interests, it's the IDNR. I'd actually suggest that we are where we are because sportsmen in general haven't supported the IDNR enough. But the aspect of support too often eventually comes with an idealism of getting something in return or in favor, and understandably so. But even NRC members are likely caught in a difficult situation and I won't want to be in their seat either. But I believe without the IDNR, Indiana wildlife would be in a much worse and risky situation then it is today, although in many cases today appears to be pretty bad.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4775
01/22/2014 12:25 PM
01/22/2014 12:25 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
What is the stance of the IDHA??

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4776
01/22/2014 01:25 PM
01/22/2014 01:25 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Not to hijack the thread but Wisconsin made some changes to their deer hunting...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/241535691.html

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4777
01/22/2014 01:57 PM
01/22/2014 01:57 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Not to hijack the thread but Wisconsin made some changes to their deer hunting...

And kept their gun and muzzy season at 9 days.

While we need 30+ gun/muzzy days..... :rolleyes:

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4778
01/22/2014 02:42 PM
01/22/2014 02:42 PM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
[b] Not to hijack the thread but Wisconsin made some changes to their deer hunting...

And kept their gun and muzzy season at 9 days.

While we need 30+ gun/muzzy days..... :rolleyes: [/b]
Actually they have more days than us to hunt with a gun.
Season dates and application deadlines

Deer
season 2014
Youth deer hunt Oct. 5 - 6
Gun Nov. 23 - Dec. 1
Muzzleloader Dec. 2 - Dec. 11
December antlerless hunt Dec. 12 - Dec. 15
CWD holiday hunt Dec. 24 - Jan. 5, 2014
Gun hunt for hunters with disabilities Oct. 5 - 13

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4779
01/22/2014 08:13 PM
01/22/2014 08:13 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
blackoak
Deer
season 2014
Gun Nov. 23 - Dec. 1
So Wisconsin starts their gun season in November and it runs (in some form) for the next 23 straight days, plus a holiday hunt that starts 9 days later and runs for another 13 days. So altogether that's 36 days of firearms hunting.

Add in the 2 days for youth in early October and another 9 days for disabled hunters in early/mid October..and that = 47 days of firearms hunting (in one form or another). Unless I did my math wrong.

It's interesting how if you really take the time to look @ the number of days of firearms season(s), many states have more days that what some assume them to have.

Thanks for the data.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4780
01/23/2014 03:05 AM
01/23/2014 03:05 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I think what it really shows is there is no real way to compare one state to another. Just to many unique differences in habitat, hunter numbers, season positioning and so forth.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4781
01/23/2014 03:21 AM
01/23/2014 03:21 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
blackoak
Deer
season 2014
Gun Nov. 23 - Dec. 1
So Wisconsin starts their gun season in November and it runs (in some form) for the next 23 straight days, plus a holiday hunt that starts 9 days later and runs for another 13 days. So altogether that's 36 days of firearms hunting.

Add in the 2 days for youth in early October and another 9 days for disabled hunters in early/mid October..and that = 47 days of firearms hunting (in one form or another). Unless I did my math wrong.

It's interesting how if you really take the time to look @ the number of days of firearms season(s), many states have more days that what some assume them to have.

Thanks for the data.
YEP.......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4782
01/23/2014 04:34 AM
01/23/2014 04:34 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Yup

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4783
01/23/2014 08:04 AM
01/23/2014 08:04 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Excluding Dave...the last four posts are perfect examples of the old saying..."People only see what they want to see."

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4784
01/23/2014 08:05 AM
01/23/2014 08:05 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
And with the long gun seasons in Wisc....many are also saying their herd population is nose diving....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4785
01/23/2014 08:07 AM
01/23/2014 08:07 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Excluding Dave...the last four posts are perfect examples of the old saying..."People only see what they want to see."
Yep.....

And PROUD of the blinders they wear.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4786
01/23/2014 08:30 AM
01/23/2014 08:30 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I think we all see what we want to see, to some degree, especially when something is not an exact science. Counting days is pretty straight forward. I still believe that comparing states doesn't add much because the intangibles for each are so different. In that context, maybe the discussion here would be more valuable if everyone stated their view and the ideology behind it instead of critisizing someone else's view or assessment of something. It might encourage some to post up the views instead of the few of us who do.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4787
01/23/2014 08:39 AM
01/23/2014 08:39 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
And with the long gun seasons in Wisc....many are also saying their herd population is nose diving....
And how is Wisc...fixing the problem???

How about KY how are they doing???

BTW ....how did we grow the BIG herd that the IDNR now wants to "reduce"???

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4788
01/23/2014 09:11 AM
01/23/2014 09:11 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
[b] And with the long gun seasons in Wisc....many are also saying their herd population is nose diving....
BTW ....how did we grow the BIG herd that the IDNR now wants to "reduce"??? [/b]
By letting the IDNR do what they wanted with their FIRST choices and recommendations when it came to our deer herd for years......and not letting LOUD small groups of people dictate what they did/do/forced to do.

Was a formula that worked.........and WILL work again......whether it be for deer reduction, deer growth,.........or revenue that the IDNR will need once the "cash cow" is reduced and not as enticing anymore from a "herd number" standpoint to sell tags.

Hmmmmmm.........wonder what they will come up with as a plan to keep hunters interested in deer hunting, and buying tags if the #'s are lower. LOL!!!

Get ready............. wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4789
01/23/2014 11:09 AM
01/23/2014 11:09 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Delaney
I think we all see what we want to see, to some degree, especially when something is not an exact science. Counting days is pretty straight forward. I still believe that comparing states doesn't add much because the intangibles for each are so different. In that context, maybe the discussion here would be more valuable if everyone stated their view and the ideology behind it instead of criticizing someone else's view or assessment of something. It might encourage some to post up the views instead of the few of us who do.
While I agree with you to some extent...there is one constant in all of these comparisons....

Right now in (enter name of state here) the reality is....herd reduction. It's not just Indiana. And there is no other way to manage a deer herd more effectively than with firearms. That's why the when/how long of firearms seasons in (enter name of state here) are germane to the conversation.

And while I agree with many on this forum that there are very likely areas that have been over hunted, in the end hunters are going to have to get over the fact that deer herds are going to be smaller. It's what's happening everywhere.

Ultimately what will make a difference is to analyze the data from this season and the next few. Couple that with the DNR hopefully being more proactive and lowering bonus antler less quota permits (as necessary) and thus lowering the number of counties that participate in the late antler less season next season and beyond.

And while that likely won't placate some on this forum, that's what's likely to happen in the near term.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4790
01/23/2014 12:12 PM
01/23/2014 12:12 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Weedhopper:

You asked the IDHA position......... financially better than any other sportsmen group in Indiana!

As far as the deer herd , rules, proposals, license fees ect....... We have no position. Learned our lesson last go round!

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4791
01/23/2014 12:31 PM
01/23/2014 12:31 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Delaney you are correct........

The last 9 years we have seen a stunning turn around in how IDNR interacts with the public as well as state government. IDNR can not talk to the legislature unless invited, they can't talk to the Governor, they need to talk to his "Liason"(sp?). No longer do they come out to "meet the people", hide behind the computer. The NRC is appointed by the Governor, not the people.

Now they get to hear from the "people".... another chance to get beat up.

What iritates me the most is the lack of backbone by the proffesionals inside IDNR, but that is what we get by all people in goverment today.

Deer Hunters........ YOU asked for more "opportunity" be it weapons or season lengths, you got it, now reap the reward! no one thought EHD was a big problem, until it hit their area. now many years running it has taken its' toll (and will continue to do so). The "perfect storm", more opportunity and a dwindling resource. This will not be a quick recovery, no matter the story line from IDNR.

Lowering the antlerless quota will not be a remedy,82% of hunters take 2 or less deer total. Hunters have one thing in mind, buy a tag and fill it!

What IDNR gives is never taken away....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4792
01/23/2014 02:13 PM
01/23/2014 02:13 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Thanks Joe......understood.

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4793
01/23/2014 04:10 PM
01/23/2014 04:10 PM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
[/qb][/QUOTE] and not letting LOUD small groups of people dictate what they did/do/forced to do.

[/QB][/QUOTE]
Anybody else notice the irony here

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4794
01/23/2014 04:36 PM
01/23/2014 04:36 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Again, I think any of us who were put in the role of the DNR folks would have a really hard time dealing with the situation. Can you imagine having to stand in front of "bosses" that have their own viewpoint and be in a position of recommending something that is in no way going to make hunters in general happy because as we all know, almost no hunters agree on anything. I mean seriously, they in essence are there to serve the "people", full well knowing that no matter what they say, propose or implement, they are going to be hammered by some vocal group of hunters. If most of us on here were in the DNR position we'd probably be telling us to go to heck. Then you add the necessity of trying to figure out how to financially fund that agency with a possible decline in deer license collections. Again, sportsmen want more from the DNR but that can't happen if there is significant reduction in revenue. That's why I look at them and suggest that all things considered, they're doing a pretty darn good job even if I don't like things they way they are.

And Joe makes a really good point that hasn't gotten much attention. It's not going to be easy for the DNR to take anything away. If they reduce anything, there will be an outcry that is unbelievable by hunters, in my opinion. Most want more without giving up anything. And it is going to be a long journey to bring back deer numbers, if they are ever brought back to the highs of years past.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4795
01/23/2014 07:36 PM
01/23/2014 07:36 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Delaney
And it is going to be a long journey to bring back deer numbers, if they are ever brought back to the highs of years past.
With all due respect, that's the point that keeps getting lost in these posts......

The DNR wants the herd reduced and based on that fact, it would seem that the likely hood of numbers being brought back to the highs of years past would seem to me to be about zero.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4796
01/23/2014 07:53 PM
01/23/2014 07:53 PM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
delaney how long do you feel is a long journey??
In 2007 Pike county was the hardest hit county in the state with EHD. It was said we lost 50% of our herd in three months. I believed it. There was dead deer in every thing that held water. You could not drive any county road and not smell the rotten stench of dead deer. 2008 was bad, 2009 was better, 2010 was good, 20011 I was seeing the numbers close to what it was prior 2007. The DNR dropped Pike in 2008 from an 8 to a 3 bonuse antlerless county we have no late antlerlss season as it's still at 3. The deer herd can rebound rather quickly if allowed.

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4797
01/23/2014 09:21 PM
01/23/2014 09:21 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
If allowed .... if

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4798
01/24/2014 03:23 AM
01/24/2014 03:23 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
A rebound in deer numbers could be quick with the right circumstances. I'm just not sure that hunters will allow the necessary actions it might take. Just as comparing states is difficult, comparing farm country in Indiana to areas like Parker County is very hard. Parke with its habitat could rebound quick but counties like White or the poor habitat counties could take years. Your point though is a good one and a lot depends on the localized hunter attitude.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4799
01/24/2014 04:22 AM
01/24/2014 04:22 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
While we need 30+ gun/muzzy days..... [Roll Eyes]
WE DONT NEED IT,, WE GET TO ENJOY IT BIG DIFFERENCE If the management of the Herd can be accomplished in 30 days without compromising the Goals of that plan. Why would any one want to take time afield away from any of us?? Other than selfish reasons for their Idea of Enjoyment

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4800
01/24/2014 05:22 AM
01/24/2014 05:22 AM
CLINTON COUNTY
M
MOONBEAM Offline
MOONBEAM  Offline
M
CLINTON COUNTY
I'm just a rough neck so spelling and wordmanship stinks but that being said myself the reason for buying the bundle was to hunt longer not the amount of harvest per tag I could hunt all season to harvest none . One is all I need or even wanted my feelings r there are a lot of folks that are the same.when I do harvest a doe it is just for the freezer. My 12 year old shot his first deer (doe) so the rest of the season was just for a buck for the both of us we have only taken one doe from our property per year for the last 7 years due to the fact we are not in a heavy populated area thanks for everyone's input on this whole site

It's when luck & oppertunity meet
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4801
01/24/2014 05:23 AM
01/24/2014 05:23 AM
CLINTON COUNTY
M
MOONBEAM Offline
MOONBEAM  Offline
M
CLINTON COUNTY
I'm just a rough neck so spelling and wordmanship stinks but that being said myself the reason for buying the bundle was to hunt longer not the amount of harvest per tag I could hunt all season to harvest none . One is all I need or even wanted my feelings r there are a lot of folks that are the same.when I do harvest a doe it is just for the freezer. My 12 year old shot his first deer (doe) so the rest of the season was just for a buck for the both of us we have only taken one doe from our property per year for the last 7 years due to the fact we are not in a heavy populated area thanks for everyone's input on this whole site

It's when luck & oppertunity meet
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4802
01/24/2014 05:40 AM
01/24/2014 05:40 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by MOONBEAM:
Well said.... cool

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4803
01/24/2014 07:16 AM
01/24/2014 07:16 AM
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
I am curious. Can anybody tell me what was the length of the general firearms season, and the ML season's….say back in the early 80's, when the herd was still being "expanded". I cannot remember back that far.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4804
01/24/2014 07:39 AM
01/24/2014 07:39 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Originally posted by Yaz:
I am curious. Can anybody tell me what was the length of the general firearms season, and the ML season's….say back in the early 80's, when the herd was still being "expanded". I cannot remember back that far.
Sorry Yaz.....I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. eek laugh

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4805
01/24/2014 07:46 AM
01/24/2014 07:46 AM
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Originally posted by Weedhopper:
[b] I am curious. Can anybody tell me what was the length of the general firearms season, and the ML season's….say back in the early 80's, when the herd was still being "expanded". I cannot remember back that far.
Sorry Yaz.....I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. eek laugh [/b]
Who are you??? Have we met??? :p laugh

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4806
01/24/2014 07:56 AM
01/24/2014 07:56 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
I think so??? laugh

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4807
01/24/2014 09:20 AM
01/24/2014 09:20 AM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
^^^^^^sorry I am no help to you old timers laugh ^^^^^^^^ yaz .....maybe you could go to the library and find it on microfiche??????? :p

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4808
01/24/2014 10:51 AM
01/24/2014 10:51 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Awww man....now you started it.... eek laugh

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4809
01/24/2014 01:08 PM
01/24/2014 01:08 PM
Fishers, IN USA
D
DNA Offline
DNA  Offline
D
Fishers, IN USA
The greatest threat to our Hoosier Hunting is the ignorant legislature who listens to special interest groups that are not looking out for hunters or hunting but to gain something for their group or members. These special interest groups are not hunting groups as sportsmen shoot at one another and the DNR but not legislators and politicions. This thread is a perfect example of wasting time doing nothing productive. There are several bills in the legislature this year tha harm you as a sportsmen as well as the DNR and Conservation. Bills like the canned hunting bill or the one to lower crimes and fines against people who break wildlife laws. Steele has a bill to make poaching a deer $250 and it's only an infraction. Pay your ticket and be on your way. It is disappointing to come on this site and still see hunters BSing and doing nothing. The DNR is just horrible in they keep hunters going at one another so they never come together for the good of anything. It is that same thing going on in our nation. Keep the people focused on BS differences so they do nothing about real problems.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4810
01/24/2014 01:53 PM
01/24/2014 01:53 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by DNA:
There are several bills in the legislature this year tha harm you as a sportsmen as well as the DNR and Conservation. Bills like the canned hunting bill or the one to lower crimes and fines against people who break wildlife laws. Steele has a bill to make poaching a deer $250 and it's only an infraction. Pay your ticket and be on your way.
A person on another site contacted Steele about his bill and here is his response....

His reply:

Thank you for taking the time to right me regarding SB 52. As an avid hunter and outdoorsman let me start by saying that if any legislator knows the importance of the laws regarding Indiana’s laws regarding wildlife it is me. I’d like to point out that SB 52 does not change trespassing and hunting without a permission laws nor a number of other title 14 laws.

The current problem with the ones we did change is that many of the prosecutors will refuse to use their time to prosecute hunting and fishing violations. They are within their rights of prosecutor discretion to not prosecute same. In addition, the majority of cases they decide to prosecute are almost certainly pled down or deferred. So I decided to bring a bill that changed e some of the misdemeanors to infractions. In layman terms this makes the offender prove that he did not commit the offense rather than making the prosecutor prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the offender committed the offense. The end result I believe is that more individuals that break wildlife regulations will actually be held accountable and be punished at or above current levels.
Thanks again for writing-I hope If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Brent

Thoughts....???? confused

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4811
01/24/2014 02:07 PM
01/24/2014 02:07 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Interesting point he makes but it is an example of what I believe is the constant erosion of willingness for the judicial system to fulfill it's duties within the structure of our society. That said, if I was a judge or a prosector I'd find it hard to spend time of dealing with a poached deer as compared to what it likely a huge court backlog of violent crimes waiting to be dealt with. It's just too bad that the value of the infraction isn't more, like $5,000 instead of $250 (yep, it's been a long day so it's reflected in my number). So, if I hunt on property that I own or have permission to be on and decide to shoot a nice velvet buck next year I only get an infraction and a $250 fine. Sad and ridiculous, especially if the law would allow the individual to keep the poached deer. But again, why does this happen? Because society doesn't value wildlife, sportsmen don't speak up enough to make the court system take these situations serious enough and instead sportsmen are focused more on themselves then the wildlife, in general. Not meant to point fingers at folks here because I firmly believe that guys here are outliers in that you do care, but "we" are in the vast, vast minority.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4812
01/24/2014 03:34 PM
01/24/2014 03:34 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
I would say for almost a half century we have been hunting deer for 16 days with the general firearms season......

Hope this helped your memory!

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4813
01/24/2014 03:41 PM
01/24/2014 03:41 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
I know for a fact, in 1952 you had to consult your county Clerk for the season dates.

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4814
01/25/2014 05:16 AM
01/25/2014 05:16 AM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
When I began hunting in the mid 80's the firearms season was just like it is now. 2 weeks long encompassing 3 weekends and I'm pretty sure it came in around November 10th.

I'm CERTAIN that archery has been expanded. When I began, archery began around October 10-15... somewhere in there. I know this to be true because I met my wife in 1988 and her birthday is October 1st. Right around that time- 1989-90 give or take, archery season opening day was moved to her birthday. Hunting on opening day of archery was OUT for me... Till the honeymoon was over wink

Muzzleloader season was not 2 weeks either. It gained a week a few years ago but I'm not certain when.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4815
01/25/2014 05:33 AM
01/25/2014 05:33 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
According to the IDNR the first year of a 16 day firearm season was 1967. That is 47 seasons of 16 days. the muzzleloader season expanded to 16 days and that was in 1992.... copied and pasted

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4816
01/25/2014 05:34 AM
01/25/2014 05:34 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by HS Strut:
When I began hunting in the mid 80's the firearms season was just like it is now. 2 weeks long encompassing 3 weekends and I'm pretty sure it came in around November 10th.

I'm CERTAIN that archery has been expanded. When I began, archery began around October 10-15... somewhere in there. I know this to be true because I met my wife in 1988 and her birthday is October 1st. Right around that time- 1989-90 give or take, archery season opening day was moved to her birthday. Hunting on opening day of archery was OUT for me... Till the honeymoon was over wink

Muzzleloader season was not 2 weeks either. It gained a week a few years ago but I'm not certain when.
YEP....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4817
01/27/2014 09:46 PM
01/27/2014 09:46 PM
Fishers, IN USA
D
DNA Offline
DNA  Offline
D
Fishers, IN USA
[b] There are several bills in the legislature this year tha harm you as a sportsmen as well as the DNR and Conservation. Bills like the canned hunting bill or the one to lower crimes and fines against people who break wildlife laws. Steele has a bill to make poaching a deer $250 and it's only an infraction. Pay your ticket and be on your way.
A person on another site contacted Steele about his bill and here is his response....

His reply:

Thank you for taking the time to right me regarding SB 52. As an avid hunter and outdoorsman let me start by saying that if any legislator knows the importance of the laws regarding Indiana’s laws regarding wildlife it is me. I’d like to point out that SB 52 does not change trespassing and hunting without a permission laws nor a number of other title 14 laws.

The current problem with the ones we did change is that many of the prosecutors will refuse to use their time to prosecute hunting and fishing violations. They are within their rights of prosecutor discretion to not prosecute same. In addition, the majority of cases they decide to prosecute are almost certainly pled down or deferred. So I decided to bring a bill that changed e some of the misdemeanors to infractions. In layman terms this makes the offender prove that he did not commit the offense rather than making the prosecutor prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the offender committed the offense. The end result I believe is that more individuals that break wildlife regulations will actually be held accountable and be punished at or above current levels.
Thanks again for writing-I hope If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Brent

Thoughts....???? confused [/b]
Several LE officers were worried about this bill and have contacted me and others including those in the outdoor press.

Right now almost no one from the DNR is allowed to set foot in the statehouse. The Pence administration has gagged the DNR.

Not a good way to make laws when the experts the state hires has to stay silent. Most of these legislators have very little respect for the resource and it's management.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4818
01/27/2014 10:03 PM
01/27/2014 10:03 PM
Fishers, IN USA
D
DNA Offline
DNA  Offline
D
Fishers, IN USA
Originally posted by HS Strut:
[b] When I began hunting in the mid 80's the firearms season was just like it is now. 2 weeks long encompassing 3 weekends and I'm pretty sure it came in around November 10th.

YEP.... [/b]
I believe it was 92 when the muzzleloader season was expanded by a week and the buck limit went from 4 bucks to 2. The IDHA and IBA push for those changes. Also you had the Whitetail lobby come along too and then fade. They were pushing for trophy management. Previously one could take like 2 deer either sex with a bow, gun tag was buck, and an either sex with the muzzleloader. Some people cried then but not that many.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4819
01/28/2014 11:41 AM
01/28/2014 11:41 AM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
I don't ever remember being able to take 4 bucks here. I thought it was one in archery and one with a gun. If you tagged a buck in the general firearms you were only allowed a doe during muzzy season. Excluding any draw hunts, but I could be wrong.

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4820
01/28/2014 12:02 PM
01/28/2014 12:02 PM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
I don't ever remember being able to take 4 bucks here. I thought it was one in archery and one with a gun. If you tagged a buck in the general firearms you were only allowed a doe during muzzy season. Excluding any draw hunts, but I could be wrong.
Doug is correct regarding the four buck limit, but I'm pretty sure 1992 was the last year for it. The two buck system (one archery and one firearm/ML) took affect in 1993 I believe.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4821
01/28/2014 02:55 PM
01/28/2014 02:55 PM
Fishers, IN USA
D
DNA Offline
DNA  Offline
D
Fishers, IN USA
[b] I don't ever remember being able to take 4 bucks here. I thought it was one in archery and one with a gun. If you tagged a buck in the general firearms you were only allowed a doe during muzzy season. Excluding any draw hunts, but I could be wrong.
Doug is correct regarding the four buck limit, but I'm pretty sure 1992 was the last year for it. The two buck system (one archery and one firearm/ML) took affect in 1993 I believe. [/b]
I do. I'll never forget the time pre change I took in some deer to be ground and the processor had buckets of forkies and small racked skull caps. One of the most vulnerable deer is the young buck in the rut. They are easier than adult does and you can bet guys took advantage of that. After all they still had more opportunity for a bigger one.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4822
01/28/2014 03:36 PM
01/28/2014 03:36 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
DNA is correct at one time you could take four(4) bucks, Hoosier hunters were fat and sassy with that limit of spikes and forks.

In exchange for another week of muzzleloader season the IDNR agreed to cut the buck limit to TWO(2). Later on sportsman demanded the IDNR cut the buck limit to one(1)....... to the dismay of the previous deer biologist(not Chad Stewart) we have seen a MAJOR increase in the age structure of bucks in Indiana harvests figures.

Now when it is evident hunters want further limits, people are screaming to leave it as is........ A great quote........ "If you keep doing the same thing and exspect a different result, YOU are doomed to fail."

We had a slow reduction plan that the populce did not like. They chose a different direction and the "perfect storm" arrived. NOW those same people want to hold IDNR acountable, and at the same time want to use a "conservative" approach to grow the herd again.

I want anyone, anyone and again anyone to show me another resource that we "peak and crash"! Show one instance of a resource where we grow it to where it is unaceptable then crash the resource ONLY to grow it again?

That's what you are asking for !

Give it a couple more years and we can re populate some counties . Of course that could NEVER happen.......... visit history. Indiana's last native deer was killed in 1892. Next hunting season was 1952............. Was there pistols with cenerfire being used in 1892? How about pistol caliber rifles, compound bows, crossbows,add in the range finders scent control Ect..........

Now tell me with todays improvemants we "can't" extripate whitetails from the State.

You are living in a dream world..........IDNR only dreams of revenue as it guarantees their J_O_B!

You wanted the rules we have today, step up and own it, we all get to live with it.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4823
01/28/2014 05:56 PM
01/28/2014 05:56 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
[b] I don't ever remember being able to take 4 bucks here. I thought it was one in archery and one with a gun. If you tagged a buck in the general firearms you were only allowed a doe during muzzy season. Excluding any draw hunts, but I could be wrong.
Doug is correct regarding the four buck limit, but I'm pretty sure 1992 was the last year for it. The two buck system (one archery and one firearm/ML) took affect in 1993 I believe. [/b]
Wasn't there only one year of 4 bucks a year and then one year of 3 bucks and then it went right back to two bucks a year!!!.... And wasn't all this part of the herd reduction effort in the mid 1990s?

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4824
01/28/2014 06:00 PM
01/28/2014 06:00 PM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Allows a crossbow to be used by hunters who are at least 64 years old during the
early archery season
Allows a crossbow to be used during the deer firearms and muzzleloader seasons
by hunters of any age
Allows a hunter of any age to use a crossbow in an urban deer zone during the
urban deer season.
Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of
1.625 inches
Seasons and Bag Limits
Allows youth hunters to take the number of antlerless deer allowed in each county
during the special youth deer season (in addition to one antlered deer)
Extends the urban deer season through January 31 of the following year
Requires hunters to take at least one antlerless deer prior to taking an antlered
deer in the urban deer season
Expands the urban deer zones in Lake and Porter counties to all of those counties
Changes the deer firearms season to start on the first Saturday before
Thanksgiving and continue for only 8 additional days
Shortens the deer muzzleloader season to only 9 days
Adds an antlerless deer only firearms season in October (2 days only) in counties
with an antlerless quota of 4 or more. The hunter may take the number of
antlerless deer in each county allowed under the bonus county quota.
Adds another antlerless deer-only firearms season from December 25 through
January 1 of the following year. The hunter may take the number of antlerless
deer in
Slow reduction plan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Looks to me prop one had more doe killin days than prop 2, but I guess shortening firearms and muzzle loader and moving it out of the rut would save many, many does.

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4825
01/28/2014 08:16 PM
01/28/2014 08:16 PM
Fishers, IN USA
D
DNA Offline
DNA  Offline
D
Fishers, IN USA
Deer hunters need to quit going at each other and work together to achieve what most want. You will never please all but I believe you can reach agreement on much of what people want. The real enemy is Indiana Farm Bureau Inc. and their hold on the legislature. This Farm lobby funded by their insurance company for years have lobbied the legislature to reduce the deer population which in turn gave a mandate to the DNR. Now Indiana Farm Bureau Inc. is lobbying on behalf of the High Fence Hunting operations and the Amish deer farmers to increase deer and deer hunting behind the fence. It's a fact I have witnessed it at the statehouse. More private wildlife less public. Hunters need to wake up. Limit access make money. The average hunter which I and others have tried to help for years is going to get squeezed out. The DNR really is at the mercy of the legislature and the legislature is under the influence of $$$$$$$ and who gets them elected.

Sportsmen are disorganized and shooting at the wrong target and often themselves.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4826
01/29/2014 01:20 AM
01/29/2014 01:20 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
[b]
Wasn't there only one year of 4 bucks a year and then one year of 3 bucks and then it went right back to two bucks a year!!!.... And wasn't all this part of the herd reduction effort in the mid 1990s? [/b]
I don't recall how many years the four buck system survived. It was more than one though. Took longer than that to get it snuffed. If there was a three buck system (I don't remember that being in place?), it would have been prior to four bucks.

The reduction effort of the mid-90's was all about bonus county antlerless tags. Up until then, does had been relatively protected..thus growing the herd.

Like Doug said, it was three sporting organizations (IBA, IDHA and Whitetail Lobby)responsible for the two buck limit.

This was also the same timeframe bowhunters were allowed to hunt through general firearms season...but only if you had not already killed a buck with a bow. The rule I never understood? (i.e. Two buck limit, but bowhunters had to pick up a gun (longer range, more efficient weapon) to kill one of them.

So, if you were a dedicated bowhunter, the two buck rule was in reality a one buck rule...a full decade before the actual one buck rule came into play.

Dang, has all of that really been more than twenty years ago!

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4827
01/29/2014 12:48 PM
01/29/2014 12:48 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
The crazy thing is the people that supported 1.0 said it was the only way to reduce the deer herd. They said more opening days would create additional excitement and the shortened seasons would pressure hunters to harvest their deer sooner. They also said crossbows would just shift the harvest of one weapon to another. Now that we have gotten closer to the 60/40 split the DNR set as a goal while reducing the buck harvest and increasing the doe harvest the 1.0 people are back. This time they say we need 1.0 to help grow the herd and get it back to the levels it was before 2.0 which has been in effect for two seasons. I fail to see how a much more efficient reduction plan will now grow the herd but it just may work.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4828
01/29/2014 02:04 PM
01/29/2014 02:04 PM
Fishers, IN USA
D
DNA Offline
DNA  Offline
D
Fishers, IN USA
Originally posted by js2397:
The crazy thing is the people that supported 1.0 said it was the only way to reduce the deer herd.
That is just absolutely false. Not one person I know of said it was the "only" way. There were several ways suggest in committee by many others.
The plan you refer to was the DNR's plan 80-90% of it. Were there things that committee members liked about it sure but it was the DNR. Participating in that group and then having the NRC reject it and then having others blame groups like the IDHA was BS. I still get angry that the groups took the hit for the DNR's plan. People want to blame someone for this one blame the NRC as well as the DNR. If the DNR ever ask the groups to support them on something I would run as fast as I can. They need a big license fee increase or they are to start laying people of they say. You are not going to see me stick my neck out.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4829
01/29/2014 02:19 PM
01/29/2014 02:19 PM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
[b] The crazy thing is the people that supported 1.0 said it was the only way to reduce the deer herd.
That is just absolutely false. Not one person I know of said it was the "only" way. There were several ways suggest in committee by many others.
The plan you refer to was the DNR's plan 80-90% of it. Were there things that committee members liked about it sure but it was the DNR. Participating in that group and then having the NRC reject it and then having others blame groups like the IDHA was BS. I still get angry that the groups took the hit for the DNR's plan. People want to blame someone for this one blame the NRC as well as the DNR. If the DNR ever ask the groups to support them on something I would run as fast as I can. They need a big license fee increase or they are to start laying people of they say. You are not going to see me stick my neck out. [/b]
I was not at the DNR, IDHA, SRT, or any other chats BUT I attended several NRC, Caucus, and other meetings. Doug, in my opinion, is correct with what he is saying. I am not a fan of the NRC. Really the whole legislation process controlling our outdoors sucks.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4830
01/29/2014 02:57 PM
01/29/2014 02:57 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
[b] The crazy thing is the people that supported 1.0 said it was the only way to reduce the deer herd.
then having the NRC reject it and then having others blame groups like the IDHA was BS. I still get angry that the groups took the hit for the DNR's plan. [/b]
2 things..........

1) js2397..........TOTALLY FALSE STATEMENT. I don't know where people like you still to this day get their "facts" so warped. Just craziness........

2) DNA.......you bet the NRC drove the "rejection bus".........but just like any bus....there were just a FEW NRC members driving the NRC bus.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4831
01/29/2014 03:06 PM
01/29/2014 03:06 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

IDNR Feedback Link
Bump..........continue to let the IDNR have your feedback. Many are letting them know we are SICK of what they were forced to do.........and SICK of what it is doing to our herd. Talked to 7 different hunters in just the last MONTH that say they are getting out of deer hunting next year due to lack of animals.

Ya see that IDNR.........Low Quantity = Lower participation = Lower IDNR revenue.

Better get busy getting ready to create interest in hunters again with your new regs as Quantity will NOT keep hunters buying tags. You've had a money making machine for decades with a long gun season......as long as you had quantity in place.

Many know that will be a bad formula for you to keep in the future to keep hunters interested in buying tags.......

........and a lot of us know what that next "interest" will be when "quantity" gets low........ cool

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4832
01/29/2014 03:28 PM
01/29/2014 03:28 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by THROBAK:
According to the IDNR the first year of a 16 day firearm season was 1967. That is 47 seasons of 16 days. the muzzleloader season expanded to 16 days and that was in 1992.... copied and pasted
True...

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4833
01/29/2014 03:43 PM
01/29/2014 03:43 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
DNA has it correct, he was not directly involved but he was "connected" to teh process.

Now JJAS you can keep spouting the same line and "hope" people continue to buy the line. Now the "change" is evident........ lower deer seen and fewer deer taken by hunters. Wasn't the weather, wasn't standing crops...... heck we can't even blame the moon phase! Now it is EHD for two consecutive years....... how about 3 years ago when the southwest counties were affected? We were told everything was OK and counties would recover quickly.

NOW...... others affected in "other counties" are going to have to be patient...........LMAO!

Any excuse will work as long as Hoosiers continue to purchase licenses.........

I received a call tonight from a friend who asked why I even "bother to be involved"? I just can't let those who aren't educated or concerned get rolled by the "government".

This person has a standing in the Republican party. He stated that Governor Pence has presidential hopes, he has "gagged" IDNR, Republican legislature has manipulated districts, all in an effort to push a pro business agenda. Farm Bureau is also pro deer farming and shooting preserves, so ........we as hunters suck hind teat.

Enjoy the ride we created......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4834
01/29/2014 04:52 PM
01/29/2014 04:52 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
The only thing I think I would add at this point is that the DNR has been in essence, or seemingly so, "gagged" for a long time and certainly prior to the current governors administration. Additionally, it's not only the DNR but it's the approach of political administrations seem to have taken for all departments of government in all states across the country.

Now, maybe fewer hunters isn't all bad. When things become easy or there is excess, it is typical for there to be a lot of entrants into a sport or recreation. As things become hard and/or the excess lessens, it is reasonable for the number of actives to be reduced by natural elimination. The DNR has had pretty much no choice but to live of the deer licenses because so many other hunting activities have lessened due to a number of issues. The thing I have never fully understood though is that hunters complain about the cost of a license, yet when compared to other recreational activities, when the cost is extremely cheap. They'll spend thousands on a lease, equipment and travel expenses yet gripe about $25 for a license. If the DNR were allowed to run like a business, the cost of a deer license would likely be considerably more, especially if there is a reduced deer herd because oddly, a doe becomes more "valuable". So, while the legislature will never all a huge increase in the license structure, in my opinion, there is always a way to create income if really needed and granted by the executive office.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4835
01/30/2014 10:51 AM
01/30/2014 10:51 AM
Noblesville IN
G
garman6 Offline
garman6  Offline
G
Noblesville IN
Got a permission sucured in Iowa, at least I will hunt one state that has it figured out, if I draw a tag? I will say this, if a hunter quits because he isnt seeing animals, he isnt a hunter. It's not an easy sport and we should have to work at it to KILL! I agree numbers are down, but are they managable now? Can we increase quality now? Before we burn the witch lets hear the story, and then we can adjust from there. Being blood thirsty has got us into this mess, the DNR hasnt killed all these deer, we did!

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4836
01/31/2014 12:13 PM
01/31/2014 12:13 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
garman6:

You are correct,DNR didn't pull the trigger we did.DNR did provide the tools to make it happen, DNR lenghtened seasons, added more legal weapons and "educated" hunters that we had too many deer. If you keep telling people the same story it will become fact, just like "too many deer" it has become fact,just like the sports groups who participated in the last rule changes said it would reduce the deer herd.

I sat at the table, I reported on this site exactly what was said and asked for input on the next meeting/topic. Once we had a plan it was put out for public comment, BEFORE the comment period was over the NRC jumped in and scrapped the plan. Three members of the NRC called a meeting and told DNR what they were going to do. And we are where we are today!

"Can we increase quality now?" It will never happen under the present season and bag limit structure. You can not have the present length of gun seasons coupled with crossbows for the entire archery seasons and have mature bucks, a balanced male to female herd. Too much pressure, and in the end people will just fill the tag they purchased with their hard earned dollars.

Nothing will change, DNR will adjust some counties, hunters will still fill tags. Once DNR gives into political pressure and hunters who want more.........it NEVER goes away.

I've spent 30 years fighting for hunters and the DNR in the rule process and legislature, time for me to just hunt and protect my little piece of paradise. If I don't get the experience here in Indiana I will join you and others in another state.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4837
01/31/2014 04:22 PM
01/31/2014 04:22 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Everyone should take some time to review a number of legislative bills in the statehouse this year. Especially some of the bills that will allow greater pollution of our streams and waterways and how we move more and more to disrespect every aspect of the environment. I'm all for a positive business and farming attitude, but frankly the direction being taken by the statehouse on many of these types of issues is a precursor to destroying Indiana wildlife and fishing resources. The deer issue is a micro example of a broader issue going on here in Indiana. Eventually, you will see Indiana go dramatically away from the conservative party because of how far the pendulum is swinging now.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4838
02/05/2014 07:01 AM
02/05/2014 07:01 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

IDNR Feedback Link
Bump.........give your feedback........Deadline is Feb. 28th.

I am hearing that the IDNR is getting slammed by those sick of the devestation to their deer herds that our current regs are doing.

Let 'em have it.........

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4839
02/05/2014 09:34 AM
02/05/2014 09:34 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
I agree..let them know how you feel...I sure have.

BTW...I've heard from several different sources that the number of bonus antler less quota permits will be lowered substantially (thus making the late antler less season a non issue in many counties) and......there is also talk about making it much harder to qualify for depredation permits in certain areas of the state.

And none of this requires changes to the regs and going through the mess we did just two seasons ago.....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4840
02/13/2014 04:47 PM
02/13/2014 04:47 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Those wanting regs in Indiana like they have in Ohio.........please send your comments to the IDNR on the link posted currently on this forum. The IDNR is taking feedback on such till the end of February.

Here is some more advice........fill out the IDNR form multiple times, use fake e-mails, tell all your friends on Face-Book and Twitter to do the same.............then go to other hunting sites from Ohio, Iowa, Illinios, Kentucky, Kansas, etc and have them fill out replies also for our IDNR and have them tell our IDNR they want a shorter gun season in Indiana, out of the rut. The more Hoosiers that have this opportunity here at home........the less they will be traveling then to those states to hunt the deer they wish they had here. The neighboring states WIN by encouraging voting to keep us more like what THEY have.........that we want. Get them on board........it will reduce non-residents in their state they don't want from Indiana. Regs like those other states helps keep our hunters in Indiana. Get on those out of state Forums and get their hunters to help us get it done. Our IDNR is stuck with an "un-secure method" for gathering electronic feedback.....everyone knows it.....so EVERYONE should get to abuse it. May pave the way for more secure feedback and halt "multiple bullzhit" submissions that do not represent one person. But until that's fixed..........FLOOD our IDNR with feedback from anyone that can fill out that feedback form.

IDNR Feedback Link

These are the tactics that a few hunters used to get Prop 2.0 pushed through.

Repackage the A-Bomb and toss it back to them. Hoosiers are fed up with this mess.......the average deer hunter was NOT represented by Prop 2.0.........and our IDNR was NOT able to use their first choice of Prop 1.0 which was more like Ohio regs. Help our IDNR get the voices heard that will restore their first choice in the beginning.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4841
02/13/2014 04:53 PM
02/13/2014 04:53 PM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
DFTT confused mad confused mad laugh

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4842
02/13/2014 04:55 PM
02/13/2014 04:55 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Those wanting regs in Indiana like they have in Ohio.........please send your comments to the IDNR on the link posted currently on this forum. The IDNR is taking feedback on such till the end of February.

Here is some more advice........fill out the IDNR form multiple times, use fake e-mails, tell all your friends on Face-Book and Twitter to do the same.............then go to other hunting sites from Ohio, Iowa, Illinios, Kentucky, Kansas, etc and have them fill out replies also for our IDNR and have them tell our IDNR they want a shorter gun season in Indiana, out of the rut. The more Hoosiers that have this opportunity here at home........the less they will be traveling then to those states to hunt the deer they wish they had here. The neighboring states WIN by encouraging voting to keep us more like what THEY have.........that we want. Get them on board........it will reduce non-residents in their state they don't want from Indiana. Regs like those other states helps keep our hunters in Indiana. Get on those out of state Forums and get their hunters to help us get it done. Our IDNR is stuck with an "un-secure method" for gathering electronic feedback.....everyone knows it.....so EVERYONE should get to abuse it. May pave the way for more secure feedback and halt "multiple bullzhit" submissions that do not represent one person. But until that's fixed..........FLOOD our IDNR with feedback from anyone that can fill out that feedback form.

IDNR Feedback Link

These are the tactics that a few hunters used to get Prop 2.0 pushed through.

Repackage the A-Bomb and toss it back to them. Hoosiers are fed up with this mess.......the average deer hunter was NOT represented by Prop 2.0.........and our IDNR was NOT able to use their first choice of Prop 1.0 which was more like Ohio regs. Help our IDNR get the voices heard that will restore their first choice in the beginning.
So in other words, encourage people to lie just to get your point across?

And people wonder why there is no integrity anymore... :rolleyes:

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4843
02/13/2014 04:57 PM
02/13/2014 04:57 PM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
Originally posted by DawnPatrol:
DFTT confused mad confused mad laugh
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4844
02/13/2014 05:11 PM
02/13/2014 05:11 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
And people wonder why there is no integrity anymore... :rolleyes:
Yep and Nope.

"Yep".......Use the same tactics that is being done as a few are doing to SQUASH what the average hunter wants. Do I like it....not one bit....

"Nope".........IDNR needs to realize and feel the significance of having UNSECURE electronic feedback. When it comes to things they really want to change........they better have a system in place where duplicate feedback can't happen. In the meantime.......prove the point of how REDICULOUS the system for feedback as it is set up is currently.

Multiple ways to skin this friggin cat..... wink

And there are people right NOW absolutely FURIOUS that the IDNR may change to a secure system for average hunter feedback. They are FURIOUS about what it may reveal....

Push it......... wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4845
02/13/2014 05:18 PM
02/13/2014 05:18 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
What dew you consider the average Deer hunter to be like

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4846
02/13/2014 05:43 PM
02/13/2014 05:43 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
One deer hunter with ONE voice.......whatever that may be.

Not..... "one deer hunter" that has MULTIPLE voices .........to PUSH whatever that may be.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4847
02/13/2014 05:51 PM
02/13/2014 05:51 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I'm not sure the average deer hunter was represented by either plan. I actually imagine that the average would have supported 2 because I really don't believe the average deer hunter wants firearms shortened. Now, I believe things could change with the seeming reduced deer in the field but I pretty much believe there will have to be a lot of pain before guys will give up access and opportunity. It's just human nature.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4848
02/13/2014 06:55 PM
02/13/2014 06:55 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
I'm not sure the average deer hunter was represented by either plan. I actually imagine that the average would have supported 2 because I really don't believe the average deer hunter wants firearms shortened. Now, I believe things could change with the seeming reduced deer in the field but I pretty much believe there will have to be a lot of pain before guys will give up access and opportunity. It's just human nature.
Other than lowering the number of bonus antler less permits available (and thus lowering the number of counties participating in the late antler less season)...I doubt much changes this upcoming season.......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4849
02/14/2014 12:16 AM
02/14/2014 12:16 AM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Your asking the wrong person that question. dew has no idea what the average Indiana deer hunter is. He is, and always will be the average Indiana deer hunters biggest enemy, but when it's all said and done the INDNR will see he's just a PITA antler junky who's main objective is, and always will be lowering the odds of the average hunter to tag one of his bucks.

Blackoak
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4850
02/14/2014 01:13 AM
02/14/2014 01:13 AM
Martinsville, IN, USA
shooter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
shooter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Martinsville, IN, USA
^ this

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4851
02/14/2014 02:42 AM
02/14/2014 02:42 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
X -2......someone just hit a home run!!!

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4852
02/14/2014 03:50 AM
02/14/2014 03:50 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
I doubt much changes this upcoming season.......
We both know that the momentum being built isn't about THIS upcoming season..... wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4853
02/14/2014 03:59 AM
02/14/2014 03:59 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b] I doubt much changes this upcoming season.......
We both know that the momentum being built isn't about THIS upcoming season..... wink [/b]
You've been saying that for the last 3+ years....

The truth of the matter is, The DNR isn't likely to move/shorten a season that pays the bills and manages the herd unless/until Hoosier hunters prove they can/will help manage the herd with archery equipment, over several seasons......and that hasn't happened.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4854
02/14/2014 04:10 AM
02/14/2014 04:10 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Your asking the wrong person that question. dew has no idea what the average Indiana deer hunter is. He is, and always will be the average Indiana deer hunters biggest enemy, but when it's all said and done the INDNR will see he's just a PITA antler junky who's main objective is, and always will be lowering the odds of the average hunter to tag one of his bucks.
LOL!!! You ought to see and meet my neighbors that get pats on the backs from me, they are the first ones to call me as they want me to help get their monster buck out they got on my border, they live on my website as they and others share about how to get these studs. Only someone with a "oakenhardblackheart" could conjure up the idea you just posted. Sorry your life is like that. Hope it changes for you some day. There actually ARE people like Joe, PAV, and Dews that like the idea of all having opps like we have........but discouraged, depressed, angry, blackhearted people want us to appear as something different.

And people with hearts and ideas like you "blackheart"... about good hardworking positive people....yep, we've come to expect it as we know others with selfish intentions to have as many days they can have to pursue a buck will reign supreme in their minds as they have all the land they need/want.......and could care less about anyone else on this planet. Or....they just don't give a flip about anything anymore except throwing "dung", "whipping people to keep the planets aligned", or quoting some dried up "Clint Eastwood" saying that just proves they're just angry every day they even have to wake up.

Spread the word blackoak...........we aren't who you say we are....our intentions are not what you type....and there are 1,000's upon 1,000's here that read what I, Joe,s, PAV,s , etc post, and don't disagree with it, ..........but just only the same few spew the same spit, send the same hateful PM's, and put up the same dried up links or X2, X3, or X1,0000000 comment cause they just run out of ways to type more nonsense.......and the next guy that can type different sounding nonsense........they just pile on in agreement 'cause it sounds better than the old nonsense they've been typing for months....LOL!!!!!

So have at it Blackoak...........Hate Away!! It's all you got......so do it well buddy. wink

And for the rest of you that are tired of seeing our herd blasted, quality ignored, hunters getting represented by those that could CARE LESS about what others want and get stuck with Props like 2.0, and are sick of the IDNR not getting to implement their FIRST CHOICES........give your feedback to the IDNR here...

IDNR Feedback Link

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4855
02/14/2014 04:23 AM
02/14/2014 04:23 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

The truth of the matter is, The DNR isn't likely to move/shorten a season that pays the bills and manages the herd unless/until Hoosier hunters prove they can/will help manage the herd with archery equipment......and that hasn't happened.
So which is it jjas..........the herd being managed by the doe permit quotas, or now....the archery season hunters....as you just said.

Which flavor is it jjas? Or maybe I should ask "which flavor will it be next to fit your agenda" wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4856
02/14/2014 04:41 AM
02/14/2014 04:41 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b]
The truth of the matter is, The DNR isn't likely to move/shorten a season that pays the bills and manages the herd unless/until Hoosier hunters prove they can/will help manage the herd with archery equipment......and that hasn't happened.
So which is it jjas..........the herd being managed by the doe permit quotas, or now....the archery season hunters....as you just said.

Which flavor is it jjas? Or maybe I should ask "which flavor will it be next to fit your agenda" wink [/b]
The reality is...both. If antler less doe permits are reduced over the next few seasons what do you think is going to happen? The herd numbers will start to rise again.

And unless archery hunters show they can help manage a herd over that time by taking a higher share of the total number of allowed antler less deer that are killed, I highly doubt the DNR will entertain moving/shortening the gun season.

It simply doesn't make sense from a herd management or financial standpoint......

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4857
02/14/2014 05:12 AM
02/14/2014 05:12 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana

It simply doesn't make sense from a herd management or financial standpoint......
Exactly.....

if you think the deer herd and financial standpoint for the IDNR will be the SAME landscape after this 5 year slaughter......as hunters and IDNR have come to embrace for decades as the herd was being grown.......you got ALOT to learn bud.........and trust me, YOU WILL LEARN. smile

ALOT will be changing.........ALOT of interest/focus to keep hunters buying tags will be changing too.

The stage is being set.........and you helped make it happen jjas.....in SO MANY ways. wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4858
02/14/2014 05:18 AM
02/14/2014 05:18 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b]
Exactly.....

if you think the deer herd and financial standpoint for the IDNR will be the SAME landscape after this 5 year slaughter......as hunters and IDNR have come to embrace for decades as the herd was being grown.......you got ALOT to learn bud.........and trust me, YOU WILL LEARN. smile

ALOT will be changing.........ALOT of interest/focus to keep hunters buying tags will be changing too.

The stage is being set.........and you helped make it happen jjas.....in SO MANY ways. wink [/b]
Sure Linus...sure.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4859
02/14/2014 05:19 AM
02/14/2014 05:19 AM
B
bigbrow Offline
bigbrow  Offline
B
I would like to see Illinois finances after deer season....I bet they aren't doing too bad.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4860
02/14/2014 05:22 AM
02/14/2014 05:22 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Sure Linus...sure.
And here I was expecting some "great insight" I missed.......but as you have to resort to "name calling".........I must be much closer to the heart of the matter than you like.

Hate Away........You're good at it.... wink My PM box is empty so you can keep sending me hateful PM's to let me know "how insignificant" I am to you.......And how "insignificant" my message is.......LOL!!!!

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4861
02/14/2014 05:26 AM
02/14/2014 05:26 AM
B
bigbrow Offline
bigbrow  Offline
B
The point is Indiana has all the potential to be more then what everyone calls a "sleeper state." In fact Indiana isn't a sleeper state at all. It is a state where you will continually see trophy bucks taken because there are bucks that are smart enough to keep slipping through the cracks but Indiana will never be as good as Illinois or ohio because of our regs too many small bucks getting killed during the rut to have a surplus of monster bucks. Do you have any idea the revenue Illinois generates just by being one of best KNOWN states to kill a giant buck. The word is and has been out for Illinois and people are spending the money to go there. SOOOOOO financially it would make sense to shorten the gun season and take it out of the rut.. Wake Indiana up people. No more "sleeper" state.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4862
02/14/2014 05:27 AM
02/14/2014 05:27 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
My PM box is empty so you can keep sending me hateful PM's to let me know "how insignificant" I am to you.......And how "insignificant" my message is.......LOL!!!!
Ooooops........my bad.......My PM Box is NOT empty anymore!! As I was typing it was empty.....you were sending me little hateful messages via PM!! LMAO!!!!!!! You are so friggin' predictable!!! laugh laugh

Oh God.......Good predictable entertainment.....hard to find these days....but totally precious. cool

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4863
02/14/2014 05:39 AM
02/14/2014 05:39 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b] My PM box is empty so you can keep sending me hateful PM's to let me know "how insignificant" I am to you.......And how "insignificant" my message is.......LOL!!!!
Ooooops........my bad.......My PM Box is NOT empty anymore!! As I was typing it was empty.....you were sending me little hateful messages via PM!! LMAO!!!!!!! You are so friggin' predictable!!! laugh laugh

Oh God.......Good predictable entertainment.....hard to find these days....but totally precious. cool [/b]
Wow...that's 3 or 4 times in the last 24 hours you've publicly mentioned my "hateful PMs"...and you used the words "totally precious" in a post...

Who knew you were so sensitive?

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4864
02/14/2014 05:51 AM
02/14/2014 05:51 AM
Martinsville, IN, USA
shooter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
shooter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Martinsville, IN, USA
How long will it be before the "move gun season to the last of December for 5 days" [M-F], rears it ugly head again.. If we dew that, then we will become a trophy state, and we will again become what what we used to be. That's what we need to dew to show the DNR that what they have been dewing is not right and the chosen few dew.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4865
02/14/2014 05:53 AM
02/14/2014 05:53 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Who knew you were so sensitive?
Please don't confuse my total entertainment .........with someone like yourself that is so sensitive YOU have to INITIATE demonic little PM's. I simply let you do what you feel you need to do. It's just who you are. Be proud of it.....I guess.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4866
02/14/2014 05:55 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
How long will it be before the "move gun season to the last of December for 5 days" [M-F], rears it ugly head again..
That has never been proposed. Why would you post untruth?

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4867
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
There is no arguing that Indiana is a top B&C state since the numbers support it. Will we continue to produce the same quality in the future, who knows? The DNR decided, on their own or through pressure from the state legislature, that the herd needed to be reduced. There is no doubt that the plan they enacted is working. I think they will back off of bonus permits in certain areas but others will continue to be part of the reduction effort. Dew is passionate about his views and there is no doubt he has put a successful management strategy in place. Joe has said before that by shortening the gun season there would be an increased sense of urgency which could lead to an increase in the number of young bucks harvested as an overall percentage of the take.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/06/03/t...one-crocket-buck-you-might-be-surprised/

States With Top B&C Entries As a % of Total Buck Harvest (2009-2011)

1. Indiana – .084%
2. Kentucky – .082%
3. Kansas – .078%
4. Iowa – .078%
5. Illinois – .065%

States With Top Total Number of B&C Entries (2009-2011)

1. Wisconsin – 241
2. Ohio – 151
3. Illinois – 136
4. Kentucky – 134
5. Indiana – 131
(For those curious – Iowa came in at 112 and Kansas had 98)

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4868
02/14/2014 06:11 AM
02/14/2014 06:11 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
There is no arguing that Indiana is a top B&C state since the numbers support it. Will we continue to produce the same quality in the future, who knows? The DNR decided, on their own or through pressure from the state legislature, that the herd needed to be reduced. There is no doubt that the plan they enacted is working. I think they will back off of bonus permits in certain areas but others will continue to be part of the reduction effort. Dew is passionate about his views and there is no doubt he has put a successful management strategy in place. Joe has said before that by shortening the gun season there would be an increased sense of urgency which could lead to an increase in the number of young bucks harvested as an overall percentage of the take.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/06/03/t...one-crocket-buck-you-might-be-surprised/

States With Top B&C Entries As a % of Total Buck Harvest (2009-2011)

1. Indiana – .084%
2. Kentucky – .082%
3. Kansas – .078%
4. Iowa – .078%
5. Illinois – .065%

States With Top Total Number of B&C Entries (2009-2011)

1. Wisconsin – 241
2. Ohio – 151
3. Illinois – 136
4. Kentucky – 134
5. Indiana – 131
(For those curious – Iowa came in at 112 and Kansas had 98)
You are correct js2397.........Indiana was headed in a good direction during that time period......and just as soon as it was getting GREAT for quality.........and The IDNR as their FIRST choice wanted to position us in even a BETTER direction for such as they had to reduce the herd a bit..........the regs for 2012 and beyond were forced upon them by people like jjas, Woody, etc, etc, to squash that momentum, and take away the FIRST choice of our IDNR to sustain quality or make it better........even in the midst of a reduction.

..........In the name of what!!??

Good History Lesson js2397.......when we let the IDNR do their FIRST choices as they were in the years preceding and during 2009-2011.......quality can happen..... AND .....managing quantity can happen........SIMULTANEOUSLY !!!

Not the way things are set up any more though......temporarily.

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4869
02/14/2014 06:17 AM
02/14/2014 06:17 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
How long will it be before the "move gun season to the last of December for 5 days" [M-F], rears it ugly head again..
That was never proposed. Why would you post that untruth....

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4870
02/14/2014 06:29 AM
02/14/2014 06:29 AM
B
bigbrow Offline
bigbrow  Offline
B
Indiana should have more b&c bucks then wisconsin with gun season in the middle of the rut that should stand out more then anything. These other states are doing better then us with gun season out of the rut explain that

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4871
02/14/2014 06:34 AM
02/14/2014 06:34 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
[b] Who knew you were so sensitive?
Please don't confuse my total entertainment .........with someone like yourself that is so sensitive YOU have to INITIATE demonic little PM's. I simply let you do what you feel you need to do. It's just who you are. Be proud of it.....I guess. [/b]
You poor thing. Still complaining about PMs?

I think you're likely suffering from pms, but I doubt it has much to do with private messages....

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4872
02/14/2014 06:38 AM
02/14/2014 06:38 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
[b]
[b] Who knew you were so sensitive?
Please don't confuse my total entertainment .........with someone like yourself that is so sensitive YOU have to INITIATE demonic little PM's. I simply let you do what you feel you need to do. It's just who you are. Be proud of it.....I guess. [/b]
You poor thing. Still complaining about PMs?

I think you're likely suffering from pms, but I doubt it has much to do with private messages.... [/b]
HATE AWAY jjas.........it's all you got left to crap out of your potato gun. cool

Just let it flow..........

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4873
02/14/2014 06:39 AM
02/14/2014 06:39 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
The deer habitat and number of deer on the ground between the various states is a major influence on the numbers. Wisconsin had much more habitat throughout the state then indiana and that alone doesn't allow a fair comparison of actual harvest numbers. The point is, you can't compare one state to another with any validity unless you look at a comprehensive set of factors.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4874
02/14/2014 06:40 AM
02/14/2014 06:40 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by bigbrow:
other states are doing better then us with gun season out of the rut explain that
THAT.....is what "they" don't want to explain... wink

Site Administrator

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4875
02/14/2014 06:48 AM
02/14/2014 06:48 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
js2397
There is no arguing that Indiana is a top B&C state since the numbers support it. Will we continue to produce the same quality in the future, who knows? The DNR decided, on their own or through pressure from the state legislature, that the herd needed to be reduced. There is no doubt that the plan they enacted is working. I think they will back off of bonus permits in certain areas but others will continue to be part of the reduction effort.
There was/is and always will be quality bucks in this state.

And as far as herd reduction goes. There are some that are genuinely concerned about the herd, there are some that are just freaking out and there are a few that are using herd reduction as a way to try and push the gun season out of November.

I agree with you. We'll likely see bonus antler less permit numbers reduced in some areas.

We'll also likely see harvest numbers dip and then level out over the next few seasons.

After all.....that is the goal.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4876
02/14/2014 06:50 AM
02/14/2014 06:50 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by bigbrow:
I would like to see Illinois finances after deer season....I bet they aren't doing too bad.
http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/LicenseInfo/Hunting.htm

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4877
02/14/2014 07:22 AM
02/14/2014 07:22 AM
B
bigbrow Offline
bigbrow  Offline
B
Thank you brew IL 35 mil to IN 10 mil. So who said its not a good idea focus on growing bigger bucks?????

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4878
02/14/2014 07:25 AM
02/14/2014 07:25 AM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
Now now gentlemen, let's all settle down and watch some Olympics:

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/69...rs-and-other-flatulence-olympic-athletes

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4879
02/14/2014 07:32 AM
02/14/2014 07:32 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
"Better": are those states allowed to bait. If so and they don't have extensive ag good sources, maybe all deer are more easily harvested over bait later in the year as winter food sources in those states are not as available and Wisconsin, for instance, had harsher weather. Maybe harvest and the rut is meaningless in that situation. Possibly other states have similar situations. Certainly KY does and the baiting issue there is a pretty significant contributing factor.

Maybe the use of high powered rifles also reduces the rut vs non rut harvest impact. Or, is it possible that a secondy rut hunt in December makes bucks even more vulnerable because they have to work harder and be more exposed in looking for a doe.

The list could go on. Besides, what is the definition of better. On a percent of buck kill, it doesn't appear others states are doing better. If its the raw number of bucks killed, what is the total available bucks because that would be a significant factor. How about B&C per deer habitat acre? Endless.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4880
02/14/2014 07:50 AM
02/14/2014 07:50 AM
B
bigbrow Offline
bigbrow  Offline
B
OK Delaney I respect your opinion. We will just agree to disagree. All I can hope for and all I care about is that we are fortunate enough to have many more deer seasons to come. I want the deer population to thrive I don't kill a lot of deer and when I do its only a mature deer. I take pride in the way I hunt I don't want to be the guy that kills more then he needs just to kill. I spend the entire year prepping for hunting season and I love it. I don't like what I see with the future of Indiana deer hunting. I think it could be handled much better and efficiently.

Re: Sick of how the deer herd is being blasted?? IDNR is now taking input!! #4881
02/14/2014 08:45 AM
02/14/2014 08:45 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Big, I certainly respect your thoughts as well and in many ways would agree with many of your points c

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance