N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Originally posted by Scarlett Dew:
Originally posted by hornharvester:
[b] when the trial ends and the OBR is adapted the license structure should also be changed. h.h.
What license structure changes would be beneficial........just asking........not a "trick question". [/b]
Dew, One license, good for a buck in archery or gun. The muzzle loader license is either sex now.

Or, take away the either sex archery tag and make the archery hunter buy a buck tag and bonus anterless tags just like the gun hunter has too. Fair is fair, right? h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: OBR #46819
02/22/2012 07:46 PM
02/22/2012 07:46 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Delaney
I'm afraid that many in the outdoors tend to measure some aspect of their manhood annually by how big of a buck or how many bucks they shoot. Generally speaking, therapy is probably what is needed for these types and not the opportunity to shoot another buck, in my opinion.
I agree with you Delaney. And while I'm certainly not talking about you, I do find it interesting that many who tend to showcase the behavior of which you speak, fail to recognize it in themselves, while accusing others of it.....

Re: OBR #46820
02/23/2012 04:16 AM
02/23/2012 04:16 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by hornharvester:
Dew, One license, good for a buck in archery or gun. The muzzle loader license is either sex now.

Or, take away the either sex archery tag and make the archery hunter buy a buck tag and bonus anterless tags just like the gun hunter has too. Fair is fair, right? h.h.
I can understand two things........

1) I can understand the logic in your quote. I seriously can.

2) I can understand the IDNR's position of gleeeening every $$ they can out of the most profitable animal we have to hunt in Indiana with the license cost/sales structure.

........and at times we both probably find it frustrating how to blend both concepts. I have ideas.....you have ideas.......but who would listen. And listening doesn't mean "pacify"......listening would mean "action".

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: OBR #46821
02/23/2012 05:01 AM
02/23/2012 05:01 AM
owen county
G
gundude Offline
Watching Over You All
gundude  Offline
Watching Over You All
G
owen county
Bottom line is that there is a segment of outdoorsmen who think hunting is an entitlement program. Hunt with what you want where you want. Public or private land. License fees are to high already.... Yet they spend 1000s on equipment they really dont need anyway..
Obr.. Is doa right now and if it ever changes I hope there is a drastic increase in fees.....

Dave makes a good point. We have forgotten what hunting is all about

Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.
Re: OBR #46822
02/23/2012 05:19 AM
02/23/2012 05:19 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by jjas:
I agree with you Delaney. And while I'm certainly not talking about you, I do find it interesting that many who tend to showcase the behavior of which you speak, fail to recognize it in themselves, while accusing others of it..... [/QUOTE]

Good point jjas..........the question then becomes as an "onlooker" and "judge" of those that put up big buck pictures year after year......do you take into consideration......

1) Are they also shooting does and encouraging others to shoot does? Do they practise what they preach? On my site we also have a doe contest........we showcase doe pics.......we award those that do well with helping manage the herd. I myself shoot more does than bucks each year......EVERY year. But you are right.......it does get disturbing to see "just antlers" showcased by some.....NOTHING else contributing to managing the "whole herd" concept.

2) Are they patting the guys on the back that shoot small bucks just like they pat a guy on the back for shooting does? Are they patting gus on the back that shoot other Big Bucks? Are they supportive to guys not getting a deer and try to help them with advice? Bottom line.....are they actively helpful and supportive of their fellow sportsman deer hunter at all levels. I get a little kink in my neck when I only see pics of "theirs"......but no other support or congrats of "others" no matter what level they would be. I gotta tell ya.....a model poster here that pats everyone on the back no matter what they have accomplished is DEC.....he has made a practise of that.....a model that many should consider.

3) Are they just "Stickers", and "Association"??.....this type of guy gives me a little chuckle too, and can go straight to "worrisome" pretty quick. Can't see out of their back window because of the massive "Bow Brand" sticker or Rack Stickers or Camo Brand stickers.........or the whole dang truck is wrapped in something telling everyone "I HUNT BIG DEER"......not to mention their 4 wheeler has stickers or ads on it too......and a deer bobble-head on the dash.....and a deer antler rubber cover for their trailer hitch ball. Just Comical.......but a true indication that its going to take "getting noticed" for them to feel as an accomplishment in this thing called "life". Now......we all need recognition.......I understand that........but beware of when "I NEED RECOGNITION AT ALL COSTS" is written all over someone that they can't even see to back up their truck. That's why I like the group I run with on my site.......no stickers on our trucks......no brand we have to be associated with........no website address on everything we drive or own.......etc, etc. Just good people that love hunting and love to support hunting.......and we know that's not done with a sticker.....it's done with a handshake. One of the funniest stories I have is about a few of these "types"........happened in southeast Ohio not too long ago. Was at a campground with a "Hunting Sticker Group" that was camping and deer hunting next to our campsite. They saw a treestand laying out side of my camper.....and here they come. I got an "education" from them......in an hour I was told how to hunt for big bucks in SE Ohio, and if I did what they said by wear certain camo, using certain scents, using a certain range finder, and by joining their website (which they had a business card for).....I was surely going to be a better hunter. I just listened......smiled.....and didn't say a word other than "thanks for the advise". Well the next morning I rolled into camp with a buck pushing 160 inches......and of those 4 guys at my campsite the day before, just the younger one came over that day and asked me some questions about the hunt while the rest of the "Sticker Crew" just stayed put. I wished him luck for the rest of their hunt......and he kinda snickered and said "none of us have ever seen or shot something like that, so were going to be needing ALOT of luck". And as he walked away.......I knew what kind of "camp" he was walking back to.......and I actually felt bad for the kid 'cause I knew from what he said......and the behavior out of the others...........he was in "Sticker/Association/Identity/Egomaniac Camp"........not "Hunting Camp". Word to the wise......pick your hunting buddies that are ALREADY solid with themselves as people first, and don't need some "sticker" to be their identity.

So yes jjas.........there is a difference between those that put up Big Buck Pics......their finger print of who they really are is quite easy to see.......the wisdom in the "onlooker" though is the ability to see and accept the "difference". The difficulty sometimes lays with the "onlooker" though that just sees "Big Buck Pictures" by successful hunters.......and throws them into the same "trash bin" in their mind as those that just eat antlers for breakfast, lunch and supper and goes to bed at night turning off their antler lamp and pull up the covers with a quilt with some massive buck print on it............

My 2 cents........

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: OBR #46823
02/23/2012 05:28 AM
02/23/2012 05:28 AM
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Ive been hunting since I was 9 years old and im 60 now. Ive bought a hunting license every year until I got my lifetime. I think my first license was 2.00 or 2.50. Hunting was a cheap way to feed your family as there were no deer in my area in the late 50's early 60's.

In the last 10-15 years hunting has lost its true meaning and turned into a trophy competition, its happened with fishing also.

When this happened all manufactures started increasing prices on equipment. The word "magnatitus" became the norm. If something wasnt bigger and expensive it wasnt any good. Look at the prices of broadheads, bows, slugs,...ect...ect and 30 years ago who would thought someone would pay 35.00 for a bottle of deer pee...?????

I think the change is a generational thing and as an old guy I can clearly see the changes and I dont like them, but seems the younger guys do so maybe its time to step back and let them make the decisions as they will be the ones that have to live with them. h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: OBR #46824
02/23/2012 07:16 AM
02/23/2012 07:16 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Dew
So yes jjas.........there is a difference between those that put up Big Buck Pics......their finger print of who they really are is quite easy to see.......the wisdom in the "onlooker" though is the ability to see and accept the "difference". The difficulty sometimes lays with the "onlooker" though that just sees "Big Buck Pictures" by successful hunters.......and throws them into the same "trash bin" in their mind as those that just eat antlers for breakfast, lunch and supper and goes to bed at night turning off their antler lamp and pull up the covers with a quilt with some massive buck print on it............

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, but if people see themselves in my comment, then perhaps some self reflection is a good thing.

BTW, If "someone" gets their jollies sleeping under a big buck quilt I don't care......I'd find it weird, but to each their own.....

Re: OBR #46825
02/23/2012 07:56 AM
02/23/2012 07:56 AM
Outer space
H
Hanes Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hanes  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Outer space
HH, I certainly agree on many of your comments. The old guys usually have a much different view then the young guys in most hunting and fishing sports. I also believe that urbanization has changed many in that while a lot of guys hunt, they don't have much "appreciation" for the kill, kill, kill idealism that some more so country folks might have. I believe many of the urbanish folks dont see hunting as a necessity to them personally and that's why they don't engage more in issues. In regard to cost, I still look at what inflation would have done to the fees from the 1950's and as such, hunting license fees are very reasonable and a great buy at a much higher cost than they are today. The high cost of equipment isn't an issue because that is also discretionary income use which is all up to the consumer. It's obviously not needed to simply shoot something.

What I do t care for today is the lack of respect for the wildlife and the fellow sportsmen that I believe is widespread amongst hunters. Also, the lack of both personal and peer accountability. Sportsmen don't step up in those regards in my opinion, generally speaking. But, times change and the older you get the more those changing times tend to bother a person.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,662
Posts49,833
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 6 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance