Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
was asked to share this one. I don't remember where I got it but it is pretty good. Very easy to fix.

Here be the recipe
--------------
1lb of lean venison (you can use about any cut, but I prefer backstraps
2 tablespoons of corn meal
3 tablespoons of flour
1/2 tablespoon of onion powder
1/2 tablespoon of garlic salt
4 tablespoons of cooking oil (canola or vegetable)
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of corn starch
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of apple juice
salt and pepper
--------
Ok, I almost ALWAYS recommend cooking venison in the thinnest slices possible. I defrost my venison about 50%, which makes it easier to thin slice. The thinner the better!!!

Shave/thin slice your venison, and season with 1/2 tablespoon each of garlic salt and onion powder. Place your venison in a large ziplock baggie, and add about 3-tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. Be sure that the meat is coated well.

Get a large skillet or frying pan ready with oil just to coat the bottom of the pan. The oil needs to be hot, but not smoking. Place the venison in the skillet, and do not turn until the venison has a golden brown/crispy texture. This DOES not take long at all, and you should NEVER overcook venison. Flip the venison pieces shortly after they reach this texture. The other side should not take very long before you remove from heat.

Place the venison on a paper towel so that it absorbs any oil. You may want to add additional salt to the venison (to your taste) at this time.

While the skillet is still hot, there should be about 1 tablespoon of oil remaining. You will want to make a RUE, by adding 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the remaining oil. Mix this cornstarch in with the hot oil (while on the heat) until it is fully absorbed by the oil. Once absorbed, I quickly add the curry powder and mix well.

Add the apple juice (orange juice would probably be a good twist!) and you will see that your sauce is beginning to shape up. Add milk in SLOWLY in order to get the right texture for the sauce. Taste the sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste (do not over salt!). If the curry is not strong enough, simply add more.

Once you get the right sauce consistency, you can decide whether to add your meat back to the sauce (recommended) or serve the sauce to the side and allow your guests to pour over their venison.

This meal works well with the Crispy Curry Venison over a bed of rice. I have also served it next to a batch of garlic smashed potatoes.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Crispy curry venison #46563
01/26/2015 04:36 PM
01/26/2015 04:36 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Thanks Bean. I'll give it a try. We don't have much deer meat this year since we choose to only shoot one deer but this would be a good way to use some of it.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Crispy curry venison #46564
01/26/2015 04:54 PM
01/26/2015 04:54 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Thanks Bean... cool

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Crispy curry venison #46565
01/27/2015 05:30 PM
01/27/2015 05:30 PM
Winchester,IN
Q
Quikfire Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Quikfire  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Q
Winchester,IN
Sounds good, going to have to try this one.

Moderated by  BowBo 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,838
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance