11/25/2009 06:26 AM
11/25/2009 06:26 AM
Shelby County Indiana
glad2hunt Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
glad2hunt  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Shelby County Indiana
I suppose I have become a cookin freak over the years, and strive to make the best tasting venison that I possibly can. I use to watch the food channel all the time, and have taken many tips from them and converted to my wild-game meals. This Crispy Curry Venison is a recipe that I have whisked together over the years, and attempted to perfect. Curry is something that works VERY well with venison.

Here be the recipe
--------------
1lb of lean venison (you can use about any cut, but I prefer backstraps
2 tablespoons of corn meal
3 tablespoons of flour
1/2 tablespoon of onion powder
1/2 tablespoon of garlic salt
4 tablespoons of cooking oil (canola or vegetable)
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of corn starch
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of apple juice
salt and pepper
--------
Ok, I almost ALWAYS recommend cooking venison in the thinnest slices possible. I defrost my venison about 50%, which makes it easier to thin slice. The thinner the better!!!

Shave/thin slice your venison, and season with 1/2 tablespoon each of garlic salt and onion powder. Place your venison in a large ziplock baggie, and add about 3-tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. Be sure that the meat is coated well.

Get a large skillet or frying pan ready with oil just to coat the bottom of the pan. The oil needs to be hot, but not smoking. Place the venison in the skillet, and do not turn until the venison has a golden brown/crispy texture. This DOES not take long at all, and you should NEVER overcook venison. Flip the venison pieces shortly after they reach this texture. The other side should not take very long before you remove from heat.

Place the venison on a paper towel so that it absorbs any oil. You may want to add additional salt to the venison (to your taste) at this time.

While the skillet is still hot, there should be about 1 tablespoon of oil remaining. You will want to make a RUE, by adding 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the remaining oil. Mix this cornstarch in with the hot oil (while on the heat) until it is fully absorbed by the oil. Once absorbed, I quickly add the curry powder and mix well.

Add the apple juice (orange juice would probably be a good twist!) and you will see that your sauce is beginning to shape up. Add milk in SLOWLY in order to get the right texture for the sauce. Taste the sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste (do not over salt!). If the curry is not strong enough, simply add more.

Once you get the right sauce consistency, you can decide whether to add your meat back to the sauce (recommended) or serve the sauce to the side and allow your guests to pour over their venison.

This meal works well with the Crispy Curry Venison over a bed of rice. I have also served it next to a batch of garlic smashed potatoes.

Enjoy!

Re: Crispy Curry Venison : you gotta try this! #46112
11/30/2009 06:01 AM
11/30/2009 06:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

sounds great.

how do you slice your venison so thin, do you use an electric meat slicer?

Re: Crispy Curry Venison : you gotta try this! #46113
12/01/2009 02:41 PM
12/01/2009 02:41 PM
Shelby County Indiana
glad2hunt Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
glad2hunt  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Shelby County Indiana
76: I have practiced... I used a sharp, non serrated knife, and cut on the bias always.

The meat needs to be closer to frozen than not though! I end up with a very thin slice this way. Have tried an electric, and you could probably practice to do the same.

Re: Crispy Curry Venison : you gotta try this! #46114
12/02/2009 05:20 PM
12/02/2009 05:20 PM
Hancock County
animalhouse Offline
Hoosier Hunter
animalhouse  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock County
Tried this tonight. Definitely a keeper.

Pretty good stuff! Thanks for sharing

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're flying with a bunch of turkeys.
Re: Crispy Curry Venison : you gotta try this! #46115
12/02/2009 07:00 PM
12/02/2009 07:00 PM
owen county
G
gundude Offline
Watching Over You All
gundude  Offline
Watching Over You All
G
owen county
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this sounds fantastic!. I'm printing it out.
Thanks for posting it!

Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.

Moderated by  BowBo 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance